Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 April 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Peckham wrote: »
    Saturday 16th
    21 miles @ 7:09/mile

A bit faster than planned pace (and also a bit longer due to miscalculation of the extra bits I was adding on to my standard long run loop). Very happy with it though, and great to reach/break the 20 mile barrier for the first time in 15 months.

Held pace reasonably consistent throughout, and average pace/HR for the 5 mile splits are as follows:

First five miles: 7:07/mi - HR: 154
    Second five miles: 7:08/mi - HR: 154
    Third five miles: 7:11/mi - HR: 158
    Fourth five miles: 7:11/mi - HR: 159
    Final mile: 6:52/mi - HR: 164

MTD: 114 miles / 15 days
    YTD: 114 miles / 15 days

Very sold run there and quick too, you seem tobein really good shape already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great session Peckham,thats something like Abhainn would spit out of a Saturday morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sosa wrote: »
    Great session Peckham,thats something like Abhainn would spit out of a Saturday morning !

Thanks for putting me in such esteemed company! Now, if only I could find something similar as him in terms of marathon PB improvement! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running indeed. You're in top form.

Sunday 17th
    4 miles @ 8:02/mile

Just under 4 miles recovery to get me to my 52 mile target for the week. Am a bit of a slave to the Garmin, and stopped running as soon as I knew I had the required miles in the bag in order to reach 52!

Updated Excel log attached. 56 miles next week, followed by a recovery week. Looking forward to next week's 20 miler, as I'm in London for the Leinster match and will be doing it in Richmond Park with some friends.

Nice to see that my 2010 mileage squeezes me into the top 10 on the 1000 mile challenge...although undoubtedly that will change within the next hour or so!

MTD: 118 miles / 16 days
    YTD: 118 miles / 16 days

• Advertisement

Just to bring you back down to us mere mortals....
    Abhainn would have knocked out another 20m this morning......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running Peckham, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Great long run. Great confidence booster with 14-15 weeks to te big day. Great pace considering it was your longest in 15 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sosa wrote: »
    Just to bring you back down to us mere mortals....
    Abhainn would have knocked out another 20m this morning......:D

Ha funny funny guys ;). Just to remind you I am very "mortal" too.

But good running there Peckham

Monday 18th
    5 miles @ 7:34/mile

Felt very easy, which was proven by a very low HR for me - 144

MTD: 123 miles / 17 days
    YTD: 123 miles / 17 days

• Advertisement

Tuesday 19th
    8 miles with 5 tempo

Tempo splits:
    Mile 1: 6:05
    Mile 2: 6:14
    Mile 3: 6:11
    Mile 4: 6:11
    Mile 5: 6:09
    5 miles in 30:50 - sets a benchmark for Raheny 5 next week

Went out with the objective of doing 6:15/mi tempo, but above felt handy enough (relative to how it's supposed to feel). Miles 3, 4 & 5 all show HR at 91%Max, which is a good result. Very happy with this session, one of the good days.

MTD: 131 miles / 18 days
    YTD: 131 miles / 18 days

Tuesday 19th
    8 miles with 5 tempo

Tempo splits:
    Mile 1: 6:05
    Mile 2: 6:14
    Mile 3: 6:11
    Mile 4: 6:11
    Mile 5: 6:09
    5 miles in 30:50 - sets a benchmark for Raheny 5 next week

Went out with the objective of doing 6:15/mi tempo, but above felt handy enough (relative to how it's supposed to feel). Miles 3, 4 & 5 all show HR at 91%Max, which is a good result. Very happy with this session, one of the good days.

MTD: 131 miles / 18 days
    YTD: 131 miles / 18 days

Nothing wrong with an easy 5 miler on a tuesday to get the heart pumping. Good session.

Just updating the past few days, as have been away from Boards for a while.

Wednesday 20th
    6 miles @ 7:27/mile

Thursday 21st
    14 miles @ 7:22/mile

Friday 22nd
    3 miles @ 8:31/mile

Saturday 23rd
    20 miles @ 7:36/mile
    Was in London for the Leinster match, so did this run in Richmond Park. I thought Dublin-based runners were lucky to have Phoenix Park on their doorstep, but Richmond Park is even better again. Also – races aside, I have never seen so many people running in one place.

Was running alone, and being unfamiliar with the park I didn’t venture into the centre of it where I’ve been told it’s better again. Stuck to the perimeter which is an 8 mile circuit – all along a path where pedestrians get priority. Some great hills, and good buzz around the place.

However...I struggled badly with pacing, which I think was due to me going out unfuelled on this one (no breakfast, and just 700ml of blackcurrant cordial to get me round). Started off slowly as was with a friend who I ran with for two miles, got into my pace after that, but couldn't hold it and was dying on my feet by the end. Lesson learnt is that unfuelled long runs aren't really my thing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23149388

Sunday 24th
    REST DAY! Much needed after the 20 miler.

Monday 25th
    5 miles @ 7:45/mile

MTD: 179 miles / 23 days
    YTD: 179 miles / 23 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

.....Lesson learnt is that unfuelled long runs aren't really my thing.

id regard you as a man of steel for just finishing that without food. I need breakfast (at least 300-500 cal) to go any more than 9 in the morning....

You're ticking over nicely Peckham. Keep it going.

Mixed bag this week, and not the mileage I'd hoped for. However, it was a planned recovery week, so no harm done.

Tuesday 26th
    Missed session. Instead spent the evening in and around Holles Street hospital having become an uncle for the first time.

Wednesday 27th
    Another missed session. Not sure what happened here. I think my body might have gone into shutdown mode after having only been asked to do 5 miles in the previous 3 days. Was a little bit annoyed to miss two days in a row, but priority this week was to recover so paid a lot of attention to what my body was saying.

Thursday 28th
    10.06 miles @ 7:12/mi

Friday 29th
    10.04 miles @ 6:55/mile
    Picked the pace up a bit during the middle segment of the run. Wasn't deliberate, and probably bordered on being junk miles. (6 @ 6:45/mile)

Saturday 30th
    13.11 miles @ 7:08/mile
    Beautiful day for running, so headed down the Malahide and ran along the estuary, out to Portmarnock and along the beach. Had only planned on 10, but pushed out to 13 as the conditions were so nice. Then added on the 0.1 to bring it up to half marathon distance. I find myself doing that any time I have a 13 mile run, I like the feeling of having run a half marathon!

Plan was to do Raheny 5 tomorrow, but instead am going to see my new nephew. So, that's the end of my January and pretty happy with the mileage it brought.

MTD: 212 miles / 26 days
    YTD: 212 miles / 26 days

Then added on the 0.1 to bring it up to half marathon distance. I find myself doing that any time I have a 13 mile run, I like the feeling of having run a half marathon!

i always do the same - like yourself i even actually do the 0.11 instead of 0.1 as well, even though i now that the garmin isnt accurate to 16 meters over that distance....still feels better afterwards :)

Monday 1st
    5.52 miles @ 7:12/mi

Tuesday 2nd
    11.21 miles @ 6:45/mi (incl 6 miles tempo - avg. 6:12/mi)
    One of those runs I didn't feel like doing, and the thoughts of 6 tempo miles in dark drizzle didn't exactly fill me with joy. Did a 4 mile warm-up where right quads felt stiff, had cramp in my left side that wouldn't shift....and lots of excuses to skip the tempo miles. But feeling left behind after reading stories of great performances in various races last Sunday I decided to push into the tempo segment. Got through my 6 miles, but whilst average across the 6 miles was okay, it was pretty inconsistent (6:17 6:13 6:09 6:13 6:19 6:01) with no real hills/wind to explain it. Glad to get it done with!

MTD: 16.7 miles / 2 days
    YTD: 228 miles / 28 days

But feeling left behind after reading stories of great performances in various races last Sunday I decided to push into the tempo segment.

That can happen alright,thats the great thing about reading the logs....its a great motivator.

I haven’t updated in quite a while, but unfortunately it’s a case of no news is bad news.

Training in the week before last went pretty well. Finished off the week on Saturday 6th with an 18 miler, which included 8 miles at PMP (did these from miles 9 to 17) and hit them at an average pace of 6:30/mile. On reading tergat’s comments on PMP, this is more than likely too fast, but still felt relatively comfortable. Weekly mileage that week was just over 50. A little less than scheduled, but nothing to worry about.

However, before I went out that Saturday I felt a slight strain in my right calf. Was paranoid about it initially, however it disappeared after 2 or 3 miles and put it to the back of my mind. It returned again later on Saturday and was a little tight on Sunday (planned rest day). Rested again Monday, but it flared up during a 9 miler on Tuesday. Got it treated, but it returned again Wednesday night on a 9 miler. Decided to take Thursday and Friday off to rest and for further treatment (massage and acupuncture).

So that was pretty much a lost week in training, however worse was to come on Saturday when my marathon training took a significant nose dive. Went out on Saturday morning for a 13 to 16 miler (depending on how I felt), however calf began to tighten a little. Abandoned run and decided to gently jog the two miles home to get some treatment (had avoided deep tissue massage up to this point, but felt it was now inevitable).

Just after starting to jog, I went over a hump back bridge. What I didn’t see on the other side of the bridge (due to being distracted with self-indulgent concern about my calf) was a pile of soil on the ground that must have fallen off a tractor. I clipped the edge of this and went over on my ankle. Spent the next 5 minutes sitting by the side of the road waiting for the pain to ease, and as it was a very quiet lane there was no sign of traffic to hitch a ride. Nothing else to do but drag my ankle home over the remaining 2 miles.

Immediate treatment received, but damage had been done. Saturday and Sunday were spent on the couch with alternated ice packs, acupuncture needles and massage, however my now tightly-wrapped ankle is still quite tender and will be daily assessments to see when I’m ready to run again. However, it’s likely to be a layoff of 10+ days.

Am resigning myself to my sub-3 attempt being over on this occasion. Hopefully will be able to get back to sufficient running in order to start (and finish) the race….however mind is now drifting towards an autumn sub-3 attempt.

Very frustrating, but would have been worse had it happened in a few weeks time after another couple of hundred miles of training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear that Peckham, but it's early days yet to be writing off the entire plan isn't it? I guess you're getting solid (and regular!) advice from a physio, but if things turn around in 10 days, you should be able to get back on track with just a minor adjustment in your goal time (and still be comfortably below sub-3). Can you switch to the pool or bike for the time being, to reduce/eliminate the loss of fitness?

Hoping for a speedy recovery..

Thats terrible news Peckham,i hope you get healthy soon.
    Sub 3 will happen,its just making you sweat it out a bit.

ahh janey thats bad luck - very frustrating. One way of looking at it is if you were going to go over on the ankle you might as well do it while the calf needs rest too. Having the two separately would be tough torecover from but both can now heal at once.

Late april is a long way away and you were running really well. 10 days isnt the end id say.....hope you get well soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I know how you feel. In reality your sub 3 attempt is not over yet. If I were in your shoes I would have similar doubts but if you're sensible you can get things back on track. If you can do some cross training and reduce your calorie intake so as not to gain too much weight 2 weeks of little running can be overcome in my opinion (and sadly experience).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sorry to hear that, Don't quit the sub 3 just yet, See how youfeel once you get back. You've been runnung way faster then sub 3 pace with ease so you might suprise yourself.

Thanks for all the positivity. I do really appreciate it, and will take a lot from it.

Am trying not to be overly negative, and will be fighting hard to come back from this injury (even taking up the offers of deep tissue massage....which hurts.....A LOT!). I guess I'm in a really lucky position to have at-home physio care, from someone who understands how much the race means to me.

Am just going to see how the next few days pan out, and will start reworking my training plan. The crucial training time period of 8 weeks out to 3 weeks out, doesn't start for another 2 weeks.

....and this is what the ankle looks like at the moment. Check out that swelling - it almost looks like I have "cankles".

Disclaimer - not suited for those of a nervous disposition, or those new to running. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

....and this is what the ankle looks like at the moment. Check out that swelling - it almost looks like I have "cankles".

Disclaimer - not suited for those of a nervous disposition, or those new to running. :D
    F-uckin hell that looks nasty. had a similar thing from football a few years ago, it will clear up sooner than you think esp with ice, physio etc that you are doing. just get the calf right more so - you know yourself swelling goes but muscle injuries are a pain to shift

Looks nasty but if you are back in two weeks you wont lose anything. You are ahead of schedule. I ran 19 miles 2 weeks ago and if anything it gave me a breather. Watch the calorie intake. Give up for lent.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Peckham. Keep the head up. You were going really well and you'll be back to your good form before too long with a bit of luck.

Advertisement