Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 April 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Sorry to hear about the injury, Peckham. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery and return to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just an update for those interested.....

Ankle still very tender and nowhere near running yet. Am still getting treatment and have strengthening and flexibility exercises to get things moving as soon as possible.

Was at the gym on Tuesday evening and did bike and rowing. Didn't feel like the bike was doing anything for me, and rowing machine was boring! Hopped onto the crosstrainer to see if it put any pressure on the ankle, which it didn't. Back to the gym tonight and will try to get a good hour on the crosstrainer.

Have cut back on the food also, in an effort to keep my weight steady. The ARTist Lenten challenge is a big help in this regard.

Reading other people's training logs is quite depressing, especially when you see fellow London marathoners knocking out 10 mile runs at 6:30ish pace! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭aero2k

Peckham wrote: »
    Reading other people's training logs is quite depressing, especially when you see fellow London marathoners knocking out 10 mile runs at 6:30ish pace! :(
    Yep, the logs can be scary! Sorry to hear of your misfortune, however you do have time, and the enforced rest might do you good. At least you're still managing to do some exercise, so all is not lost. You only need 2 secs.....

aero2k wrote: »
    You only need 2 secs.....

I'd take 1 second at the moment - that would take me to 2:59:59! :D

This evening was 60 minutes on the crosstrainer. The travel show on TV3 is absolutely awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Ya, that Village Runner is a devil for the 10 mile PMPs ;)
    I know how you feel I had 2 weeks of it. You'll enjoy your running all the more when you get back.

Glad to hear you are on the mend. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sounds good Peckam. You'll lose nothing at this rate, and might benefit from the rest and come back fitter and stronger. :)

I'd take 1 second at the moment - that would take me to 2:59:59! :D

This evening was 60 minutes on the crosstrainer. The travel show on TV3 is absolutely awful!

Sorry, I thought you were at 3:00:01....

As for TV, I took a sick day from work a few years back, and the quality of daytime TV was a significant factor in my sudden recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sorry to hear about the injury Peckham. I know how you feel, I had a bad fall on the ice at the beginning of january that did my knee in.
    But I was distressed to read this on the sub 3 thread.........

Is sub-3 still in me? Do I have any right to be posting in this thread? Who knows?

You gotta get this kind of talk out of your head because it will affect what you do on race day, you'll be afraid and filled with doubt. Youve only lost 3 weeks at this stage, thats not a big deal, trust me on that. Ive lost 7 weeks at this point and I have Rotterdamn marathon on 11th April. Yes its disappointing and frustrating but it is what it is, I cant change what happened so its pointless to worry or get myself down thinking about what could have been or how much the lost time will affect what I can do on the day.

You dont know if the sub 3 is gone, you cant know that until the 25th April. But I promise you that if you keep telling yourself its gone, then it will be for sure. Again I'll say that you can only know these things for sure come race day so why fret and worry about it now? Let it go man and just do the best training you can between now and the 25th. And on the day go for it, dont think about the lost weeks of training, because that will hold you back. Just say to yourself that you'll give it everything you got and whatever happens, happens.
    Things go wrong, you get injured and s h i t doesnt go according to plan. Thats life and the ones who throw their hands up in the air and say its all over now when things dont go right are the ones who always lose. You only ever get to see what a person is really made of when stuff doesnt go according to plan.
    And Id stay away from other peoples logs for the moment aswell, You'll just wind yourself up. Its unecessary pressure you dont need. So what if some guy is knocking out 10 milers at 6:30. Let them do whatever the hell they want. Theyre not injured, so to compare yourself to somebody who isnt injured is crazy. Keep your head down and do your own thing, dont pay any attention to what anybody else is doing.
    What matters is trying and keeping going in spite of set backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

tunguska wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the injury Peckham. I know how you feel, I had a bad fall on the ice at the beginning of january that did my knee in.
    But I was distressed to read this on the sub 3 thread.........

Is sub-3 still in me? Do I have any right to be posting in this thread? Who knows?

You gotta get this kind of talk out of your head because it will affect what you do on race day, you'll be afraid and filled with doubt. Youve only lost 3 weeks at this stage, thats not a big deal, trust me on that. Ive lost 7 weeks at this point and I have Rotterdamn marathon on 11th April. Yes its disappointing and frustrating but it is what it is, I cant change what happened so its pointless to worry or get myself down thinking about what could have been or how much the lost time will affect what I can do on the day.

You dont know if the sub 3 is gone, you cant know that until the 25th April. But I promise you that if you keep telling yourself its gone, then it will be for sure. Again I'll say that you can only know these things for sure come race day so why fret and worry about it now? Let it go man and just do the best training you can between now and the 25th. And on the day go for it, dont think about the lost weeks of training, because that will hold you back. Just say to yourself that you'll give it everything you got and whatever happens, happens.
    Things go wrong, you get injured and s h i t doesnt go according to plan. Thats life and the ones who throw their hands up in the air and say its all over now when things dont go right are the ones who always lose. You only ever get to see what a person is really made of when stuff doesnt go according to plan.
    And Id stay away from other peoples logs for the moment aswell, You'll just wind yourself up. Its unecessary pressure you dont need. So what if some guy is knocking out 10 milers at 6:30. Let them do whatever the hell they want. Theyre not injured, so to compare yourself to somebody who isnt injured is crazy. Keep your head down and do your own thing, dont pay any attention to what anybody else is doing.
    What matters is trying and keeping going in spite of set backs.

Your spot on Tunguska....these threads are really not the place to be if your injured or coming back to fitness.
    Positive thoughts generally lead to positive outcomes.

If you think you can...you will !

Thanks tunguska - that's exactly the sort of thing I need to be hearing. Honestly, I'm generally quite an optimistic person!

Well, I'm back running. Ankle feels fine and the rest has fixed a calf niggle that I was having. Am determined to take things slowly and build up over the next 2 weeks, followed by 4 weeks of quality training and then a 2 week taper. Hopefully next 2 weeks will be 30 miles and 40 miles (all aerobic), and then keep it in the 50-55 mile range for the following 4 weeks.

Friday: 2.5 miles
    Saturday: 4 miles
    Sunday: 5.5 miles

• Advertisement

Good your back Peckham,nice and handy into things again and see what happens on the day,dont rule anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Best of luck Peckam. Ease back into it. dont log onto boards for two weeks. Get the miles in at a slow pace.

Ease back into it.

That's the plan
    Get the miles in at a slow pace.

That's also part of the plan
    dont log onto boards for two weeks.

That's impossible! :D

Hi Peckham,

As tunguska said above, you can't change what has happened, but you can influence the future. Nice and easy does it with the comeback.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

As for the 6.30 merchants, well I was struggling with 6:50s 10 weeks before DCM, and suddenly with about 6 weeks to go it all seemed to click, as if all the elements of my training came good at the same time. Just get to the start line in the best shape you can and let the day take care of itself.

Have been ticking over nicely since I last updated and confidence is slowly coming back. Importantly, it's not over-confidence where I'm pushing myself too hard and the full focus is to take it one day at a time for the moment in order to get to the startline in a fit state.

Monday - 6 miles
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - 6 miles

Pace is coming in around 7:15/mile which feels comfortable enough, although am trying (half-heartedly) to bring it closer to 7:30/mile.

Plan for rest of week is 4 miles tonight, 6 miles tomorrow, 10 miles Saturday and rest Sunday, thus bringing me to 32 miles for my first week back. No plan for next week yet, but it's likely to be more of the same aerobic miles with an additional 10 miles spread over the 5 days of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good to see you back Peckham! Good luck with the buildup

Friday 5th
    8 miles @ 7:19/mile (HR: 155)

Saturday 6th
    12.1 miles @ 7:10/mile (HR: 164)

I know I should be doing these runs at a lower HR, but the legs seem to be over-ruling the brain and they seem to realise that the rest of the body is a little bit behind them in terms of fitness. Am not particularly worried about it though, and I know that fitness should improve quite quickly.

Decided this morning that I needed something to put the injury out of my mind, so I dumped my runners (which probably had a few miles left on them), and headed out with fresh clean runners. Decided also to do the same route that caused me the injury....so now I've beaten that! Fantastic weather had me cruising along probably a small bit too fast.

3 miles tomorrow to bring it to a 35 mile, 5 running day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Were you in an illuminous yellow top? presume it wa you i seen you bombing along just coming out of lusk going towards skerries (i was going the opposite way in car). was some morning for running alright - jealous, very jealous

That was me alright! Did a quick out and back along the Skerries road at the end of my run to bring my run up to 12 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

@7.10 pace im kinda glad i couldnt meet you, you would of killed me!! good to see you back tho.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    @7.10 pace im kinda glad i couldnt meet you, you would of killed me!! good to see you back tho.

Part of the reason I wanted to meet someone to run today was the keep my pace in check and stop me from racing off as I did!

Sunday 7th
    3.25 miles @ 7:45/mile

Monday 8th
    8.03 miles @ 6:51/mile (avg HR 158)
    Not exactly sure what happened here (maybe I was chasing an imaginery Krusty Clown down the road). Went out and didn't really pay much attention to the watch. Am sure the times I glanced at it, it gave an average pace of over 7:00 for that mile....obviously not. Looking at the splits, I got faster as the run went on and finished 6:36 6:37 for the final two miles when I pushed on a bit.

Feels good after that injury layoff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Feels good after that injury layoff!

Good man, back on track

Tuesday 9th
    Rest

Wednesday 10th
    12 miles @ 7:18/mile (HR:154)
    Very enjoyable run from Blackrock to Raheny. Lovely sunny evening and perfect running conditions. Passed a few very sprightly looking runners doing warm-ups on the grass along by Clontarf. Trundle wheel was out and a circuit was being measured. Presume they were Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

How you feeling now ?
    Are the pens in london locked off

Still not back running two weeks, so trying to take it a day at a time. Feeling positive and strong though, and have even booked my flight to London.

Have let the log lag a little over the past few weeks, but fortunately the running is a bit more active than my Boards activity.

Just off the back of a 52 mile week. Am following the leadership of tergat and focussing on two key sessions a week - a midweek fast session and a weekend LSR, with all remaining runs done at a handy pace so that I approach each key session with fresh legs and mind.

This week's key sessions were:

Wednesday
    13 miles with 4*2 miles at PMP
    Objective was to do the PMP bits at an average of 6:50/mile, however a faster pace was coming a bit too easily. Think I did the first rep at an average around 6:38, but managed to slow the reps down and my average across the 4 reps was around 6:45/mile.

Saturday
    19 miles @ 7:23/mile
    Again another session where speed (i.e. too fast) was an issue. Wanted to keep the pace around 7:30/mile but despite running it over a pretty hilly course I was keeping this pace quite easily (avg HR around 160). Other objective of this session was to start using gels again so I'm used to them come race day. Took one at 10 miles, as my plan on race day will be to take one at 10 and one at 20 miles.

Key sessions next week are the same fast midweek session, and then a 20 miler next weekend. Again aiming to do a tad over 50 miles for the week.

Have let the log lag a little over the past few weeks, but fortunately the running is a bit more active than my Boards activity.

Just off the back of a 52 mile week. Am following the leadership of tergat and focussing on two key sessions a week - a midweek fast session and a weekend LSR, with all remaining runs done at a handy pace so that I approach each key session with fresh legs and mind.

This week's key sessions were:

Wednesday
    13 miles with 4*2 miles at PMP
    Objective was to do the PMP bits at an average of 6:50/mile, however a faster pace was coming a bit too easily. Think I did the first rep at an average around 6:38, but managed to slow the reps down and my average across the 4 reps was around 6:45/mile.

Saturday
    19 miles @ 7:23/mile
    Again another session where speed (i.e. too fast) was an issue. Wanted to keep the pace around 7:30/mile but despite running it over a pretty hilly course I was keeping this pace quite easily (avg HR around 160). Other objective of this session was to start using gels again so I'm used to them come race day. Took one at 10 miles, as my plan on race day will be to take one at 10 and one at 20 miles.

Key sessions next week are the same fast midweek session, and then a 20 miler next weekend. Again aiming to do a tad over 50 miles for the week.

This is like reading my own log,Peckham...i am taking the same line as yourself.
    Take a look at my weeks running and we our 2 hard sessions are not a million miles apart.
    I am also going to take my gels sooner on mr=arathon day as if you leave it to late its pointless.
    Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Sosa wrote: »
    This is like reading my own log,Peckham...i am taking the same line as yourself.

Me too lads. Two big ones every week. Full faith in Mr Tergat. Peckham, good to hear that your only issues seem to be slowing it down a little.

• Advertisement

Another week finished, and pretty much a repeat of last week. 51 miles with 2 key sessions:

Wednesday
    14 miles with 4*2 @ PMP
    Kept these a bit more consistent than last week (with each of the 8 PMP miles ranging between 6:47 and 6:51).

Saturday
    21 miles @ 7:23/mile over lots of rolling hills

Have niggling anxiety about my speed. Feel like I haven't done enough at or PMP or HMP, but am confident about endurance.

Two more weeks of solid training, and then it's taper time. The enforced rest a few weeks back means I'm not as eager for the taper to start as I have been for other races.

Advertisement