Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest maple syrup-where?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Had a yummy breakfast yesterday in Dublin which involved lashings of maple syrup.. priced a small bottle in Dunnes when i got home- e6.25!! Would barely have done three of these breakfasts! Anybody have any maple syrup buying experience and know where to get it a bit cheaper, or else get a decent amount for that price? Apart form the obvious chain stores and Mc Cambridges which I can imagine would be pricey...havent tried tesco yet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Aldi did it a while back and I got some good stuff cheap.

Ironically theres a bottle of it in my cupboard that I'm not using and wouldnt mind giving away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Anybody have any maple syrup buying experience and know where to get it a bit cheaper, or else get a decent amount for that price?

Maple Syrup is pretty expensive everywhere (including Canada / US)... so there is no good cheap version. Anything much cheaper is probably not the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can try Agave Nectar from Evergreen or get Syrup from M&S.
    Cheapest? Probably not.

Galway City -> Food & Drink in waiting for the local Canuck Xiney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks folks! Just thought i would have better luck posting in a regional forum than in this one but got some good info already. All can come to mine for pancakes and rashers with syrup..nomnonmnom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Maple flavoured golden syrup (Lyles I think) is pretty decent. Real Maple syrup can be very watery, so this has a better texture IMO. And it's cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

olaola wrote: »
    Maple flavoured golden syrup (Lyles I think) is pretty decent. Real Maple syrup can be very watery, so this has a better texture IMO. And it's cheaper!

Cool, I bought that for 1.38 in supervalu instead of 6.42 for the real thing. Hopefully it is the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

yuck maple flavoured golden syrup is sooooo not like real maple syrup
    has to be the real thing or dont bother

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The bigger the quantity the cheaper it is, I got a 1l plastic bottle of shady maple? organic maple syrup for ~€40 sounds dear but thats much cheaper than those small bottles for 6.25.
    I keep it in the fridge though it will grow mould if kept at room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Cool, I bought that for 1.38 in supervalu instead of 6.42 for the real thing. Hopefully it is the same!

It's not the same at all, it's maple flavoured syrup. Real maple syrup is really expensive though and tbh I prefer the Lyles stuff, it's got a better texture

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

As someone lucky enough to be married to a Canadian, thus getting to have pancake breakfasts at a minimum of once of week, there's really only one thing to use on your pancakes and bacon - That's Aunt Jemima syrup:

1001029_030000059609_A_400.jpg

You can get 1 litre bottles in Fallon & Byrne's and truly drown your breakfasts in sugary goodness. Nyom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

olaola wrote: »

I don't really like maple syrup myself, but my sister loves it, we bought this version before thinking it would ok, she said it wasn't like maple syrup at all and it went in the bin.
    Seems proper maple syrup is indeed expensive anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

As someone lucky enough to be married to a Canadian, thus getting to have pancake breakfasts at a minimum of once of week, there's really only one thing to use on your pancakes and bacon - That's Aunt Jemima syrup:

That's also Maple Flavoured syrup - I think it's better for pancakes etc, as it clings to the food instead of running off.

My mother came home with 'Tescos Canadian Maple Syrup' - 3.99 for a small ish bottle.
    Just FYI - dunno what it's like though as it's for my sister, and I don't like it myself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

M&S do one which is fine, I have never had a bad 100% maple syrup. Tesco used to do 2 brands of it, both around the same price, have not seen that own brand in my local tesco. Do you know where it is stocked alongside? It can be hard to find stuff like that, it used to be alongside the custards, then the chocolate syrup for ice cream, then with the lemon juice in the baking section. Pricey but worth it, I find a little goes a long way.

Asked my mother and she said she found it in the Dessert aisle in Tescos - with custard n such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Had a yummy breakfast yesterday in Dublin which involved lashings of maple syrup.. priced a small bottle in Dunnes when i got home- e6.25!! Would barely have done three of these breakfasts! Anybody have any maple syrup buying experience and know where to get it a bit cheaper, or else get a decent amount for that price? Apart form the obvious chain stores and Mc Cambridges which I can imagine would be pricey...havent tried tesco yet

Down to Earth on George's St. does a nice organic Canadian Maple Syrup for around 7 euro for a decent sized bottle. It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seawoman

Any more news in 2013??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm closing this thread - it's 3 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement