Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phuket vs. Krabi

• 20-12-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So, we're still at the early point of research, so forgive me if this is a stupid question...

We're flying from Singapore to either Phuket or Krabi. Don't really know much about either yet. The idea is to do a couple of the islands (namely Ko Phi Phi) before heading to Surat Thanai for the other islands (Ko Phan, Ko Samui etc)

Which is a better place to fly to? We've had 50/50 answers from anyone we've asked so far...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Krabi is Thai for Cr@p. No alcohol can be bought due to religous restrictions. Stayed there once never again.

Phuket is class specially if you go more inland away from the beach and meet some of the locals. You will be plagued with sellers on the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

manster wrote: »
    Krabi is Thai for Cr@p. No alcohol can be bought due to religous restrictions. Stayed there once never again.
    That's just wrong. You must have been there on one of the few days of the year where alcohol cannot be served and the rules would be more likely to be enforced in a place like Krabi unlike the islands.

To answer the OPs question, Krabi is just used as a gateway stopover for most travellers. There isn't really much in the town itself but you're nearby to Ao Nang and Railay beaches. Then Ko Phi Phi and Ko Lanta are a short boat ride away. In saying that I liked the place as a change from the 'bubble' that you find in the majority of the popular areas.

Kho Phi Phi is more your traditional tourist destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Casei11

agree with last post phi phi is more touristy yet brilliant. Hated phuket thought it was a kip,rats in the restaurant i was in for example.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I didn't like Phuket at all. Very expensive resorts and then terrible hostels for those of us on a budget. That said, I left my passport on a bus and a local guy whipped me on the back of his motorbike and found my passport! Nice people!

I left straight away and went to the island, can't remember the name, it was near 'The Beach'. All in all, was the most unremarkable place on my trip. Could have been in Santa Ponsa. If you want two for one shots then it's your place!

Best islands I found in SE Asia were off the coast of eastern Peninsular Malaysia.

dory, you seem to have been very unimpressed with Thailand. Is there anything/anywhere you enjoyed about the country?

• Advertisement

I loved the people, but I found Chiang Mai/Rai (wherever the tribes were) very fake. And the islands were regualr tourists spots. It was fine, but for such a long plane ride I'd prefer somewhere a bit less ruined by tourism.

I liked Bangkok, and the day trips from it. The history and war memorials were great. Also the floating markets (another day trip from Bangkok) was super. Pardon me Thailand, I didn't mean to be too harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

So, did you like Krabi then Dory? I'm thinking now of maybe staying a night in Phuket when I arrive (flying in there) and then head off next morning to Phi Phi. But it'll be late when fly into Phuket, so we'll need to have somewhere booked. Does anyone know any cheap, decent guest houses?

dory wrote: »
    I loved the people, but I found Chiang Mai/Rai (wherever the tribes were) very fake. And the islands were regualr tourists spots. It was fine, but for such a long plane ride I'd prefer somewhere a bit less ruined by tourism.

I liked Bangkok, and the day trips from it. The history and war memorials were great. Also the floating markets (another day trip from Bangkok) was super. Pardon me Thailand, I didn't mean to be too harsh.
    The only thing fake about Chiang Mai/Rai is the hill tribe tours imo.

And you are right, a lot of the islands are regular tourist spots (some busier than others) but what did you expect? And aren't you a tourist yourself?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The only thing fake about Chiang Mai/Rai is the hill tribe tours imo.

And you are right, a lot of the islands are regular tourist spots (some busier than others) but what did you expect? And aren't you a tourist yourself?

Yes I am a tourist, but I think I made it clear enough that it's a loud, drinking kind of place. Just saying it's not my thing, no big deal. I found the island in other countries, Malaysia for example to be more laid back and quieter.
    Was just giving my opinion so the OP can know about the islands a little more, didn't mean to piss off the Thailand lovers.
    And sorry VERBAL, didn't go to Krabi so I don't know.
    I'll stop replying to Thailand threads now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I agree with Dory. I'm not a big fan of Thailand and Koh Samui, Phuket, Krabi are all the same. Watching sleazy western men hanging out with really young thai women everywhere I went ruined any of the magic that I normally feel when travelling.

We tried all three islands and in the end we found a small family run resort in Phuket and stayed there for practically the whole week. It was actually really nice but of course on Day 3 the unavoidable 50 year old hairy english guy arrives with the non-english speaking teenage thai girl. Now he was a nice guy, but I couldn't get my head around the whole strange set-up.

Be prepared to be mega time ripped off by taxi-drivers, touts etc.

Cambodia was a far better experience if you can change your plans and go there.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    Yes I am a tourist, but I think I made it clear enough that it's a loud, drinking kind of place. Just saying it's not my thing, no big deal. I found the island in other countries, Malaysia for example to be more laid back and quieter.
    Was just giving my opinion so the OP can know about the islands a little more, didn't mean to piss off the Thailand lovers.
    And sorry VERBAL, didn't go to Krabi so I don't know.
    I'll stop replying to Thailand threads now....
    Sorry dory, don't mind me, please keep contributing to Thailand threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Phuket is great, really enjoyed it. I thought Krabi was boring compared to everywhere else TBH. Phuket is the way to go.

Advertisement