Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Drive Ac Adapter

• 20-12-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

sorry if this is the wrong section, bought a western digital external about a year ago, and the power wire snapped in half a couple of weeks ago. Its the piece from the "Switching adapter" to the hard drive.went into a few shops in dublin and they gave prices between 40 and 60€ for a new one (when the drive was 80 when i got it). So im stuck trying to find a wire and would appreciate any help

Specs: Ac input 100-240v 50/60hz
    Dc output 12v 2.0A
    24 Watts

The wd site used to sell them but there isnt a link anymore to buy.

The external : http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318909

Same as this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62953779

Comments

Pretty sure a generic one should work.. I used the same lead with my old Western Digital as I do with my new ScreenPlay drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thetowen

Which piece do you mean, can you upload a photo???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Sorry for the delay i was waiting for wd to email me back.

After first saying they would replace it if it was under warranty, they said they would do it free of charge (when i said i couldnt find anywhere to buy it.) So that should be it solved.

The part i mean is the transformer, the wire from the hard drive to it frayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭jeffk

I had a similar problem but couldn't find an answer.

Is there and email for this please?
    Like do you just say I bought a Wd external drive and the cable broke and they say well send a new one on?
    Ive only got this drive like three months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

encryptix wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay i was waiting for wd to email me back.

After first saying they would replace it if it was under warranty, they said they would do it free of charge (when i said i couldnt find anywhere to buy it.) So that should be it solved.

The part i mean is the transformer, the wire from the hard drive to it frayed.

Hi encryptix.

Since its under warranty we could also replace this for you, the only problem being is that when we return something to WD they request we send them the hard drive too :(

• Advertisement

Hi encryptix.

Since its under warranty we could also replace this for you, the only problem being is that when we return something to WD they request we send them the hard drive too :(

Sorry to hijack this thread but as i said i posted a similar problem and got no joy and never thought it would be covered.

Thats crazy asking people to send a drive back, surely if they have serial numbers(i think they do?) they can say ok yes that was sold to komplett and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

jeffk wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but as i said i posted a similar problem and got no joy and never thought it would be covered.

Thats crazy asking people to send a drive back, surely if they have serial numbers(i think they do?) they can say ok yes that was sold to komplett and take it from there.

I 100% agree with you, but its something all the manufactures put in place for some reason. Its even worse for laptops, if its going for repair the manufacturer wants everything that originally came with the item. The only easy one is cameras where they specify not to send in anything apart from the camera, they even ask you to take the battery out before sending it.

In situations like this where its a power cord, or some type of accessory its much simpler to deal directly with the company who makes the item.

I 100% agree with you, but its something all the manufactures put in place for some reason. Its even worse for laptops, if its going for repair the manufacturer wants everything that originally came with the item. The only easy one is cameras where they specify not to send in anything apart from the camera, they even ask you to take the battery out before sending it.

In situations like this where its a power cord, or some type of accessory its much simpler to deal directly with the company who makes the item.

Cheers Ryan ill send an email to them now, see if the Christmas spirit hits em and i get a free replacement plug lol

Hi encryptix.

Sorry i wasn't clear, the drive isn't under warranty (it expired 10 months ago) they said they would only replace it under warranty at first but then said they would replace it anyway.
    jeffk wrote: »
    I had a similar problem but couldn't find an answer.

Is there and email for this please?
    Like do you just say I bought a Wd external drive and the cable broke and they say well send a new one on?
    Ive only got this drive like three months

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Ireland is down the list with an email button.

And yeah thats what i said, that the cable has frayed and i couldnt find anywhere to buy one.

you can check if its under warranty here :

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp?aspsid=452473552&custtype=end&requesttype=warranty&lang=en

but i got one even though it wasnt.

Here is some details you will need

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1378&p_created=1118358612&p_sid=1VgzXjvj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=1378&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9MTM3OA!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

Cheers

Did you fill in the forums with what operating system you have and all that or was it a straight email?

• Advertisement

filled in the ones with *

Grand stuff thanks again.

Sent it of just now.
    Basically said the wire around the plug became damaged and unsafe to use, I cannot find a place to buy one and was told to contact you on this matter.

See what happens now!!

got it in the post today, its much smaller than the other one (the transformer appears to be in the plug part). works perfectly :D

edit : dont see how shops can be charging up to 60€ for such a part

Advertisement