Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Good Spots For New Years In Sydney??

Options
  • 20-12-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

So, it's getting closer to that time of the year... big fireworks from an oversized coathanger! I for one am excited! Anyone know of any good, free, BYO spots with toilets they'd care to share??

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

last year i was in work at 9am on new years eve in sydney. before i even got out of bed, there were people queueing to get into the botanicals gardens.

the botanical gardens open up at ~7pm on new years!

i turned up after work at 5. went to the botanical gardens and saw the massive queue. found an empty patch of grass about 50 foot from the front door of the botanical gardens. set up shop there. watched for a few hours as the people still queued, and subsequentally got refused entry coz the gardens were full. i had a perfect view, no queue, lotsa beer and had a great night.

moral of the story. dont go anywhere along the water. the park (hyde park? queens park? kings park? its behind castlereagh st) is perfect. and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

A decent place to watch is Pyrmont Point, side on view of the bridge and a bit away but plenty of space and can BYO with Toilets there as well!

Have Fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I went to a park last year near rushcutter bay on the east side
    called yarranabbe park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=yarranabbe&sll=-33.872803,151.239145&sspn=0.008694,0.018904&ie=UTF8&hq=yarranabbe&hnear=&ll=-33.86867,151.239145&spn=0.008695,0.018904&z=16
    was fantastic, BYO drink, toilet facilities, great view of bridge (you van do a google street view)
    I would avoid botanical gardens as very crowded and no BYO and you have to be there quite early.

to get home was a bit of a pain, but I walked to the train station, so not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

hussey wrote: »
    I went to a park last year near rushcutter bay on the east side
    called yarranabbe park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=yarranabbe&sll=-33.872803,151.239145&sspn=0.008694,0.018904&ie=UTF8&hq=yarranabbe&hnear=&ll=-33.86867,151.239145&spn=0.008695,0.018904&z=16
    was fantastic, BYO drink, toilet facilities, great view of bridge (you van do a google street view)
    I would avoid botanical gardens as very crowded and no BYO and you have to be there quite early.

to get home was a bit of a pain, but I walked to the train station, so not too bad

Was just going to say to go here. I used to live on yarranabbe road, it has great views and I can remember there still being space on the grass at like 6pm on NYE, which is pretty good going.

So sick not to be in Sydney for NYE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Daithio wrote: »
    Was just going to say to go here. I used to live on yarranabbe road

Nice place to live, I love Rushcutters..will be having a bbq there on Christmas day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just been down at Rushcutters for a dry run and it's a pretty sweet spot, though they're expecting it to be packed 2moro night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Just been down at Rushcutters for a dry run and it's a pretty sweet spot, though they're expecting it to be packed 2moro night.

Make sure you go down the end of Yarranabbe park as you won't have the best view from Rushcutters itself

Advertisement