Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Holistic health and alterative medicine*

Options
  • 20-12-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I hope no one minds me posting this here, but I think there might be a few people here who would be interested.

basically I think boards could really do with a forum to discuss holistic health and alternative medicine.

It could a huge range of topics such as herbalism, holistic nutrition (I know we already have a forum for that but it's largely dominated with dieting threads), yoga, tai chi, meditation, reiki, chinese medicine, aromatherapy, naturopathy, ayurveda, massage, kinesiology, colour therapy, sound therapy, crystal healing, natural beauty care anything not requiring a prescription for the chemist basically.

I think it would be really great for people looking to study in the area to have other people to talk to about what options are out there and to gain insight into others peoples experiences.

I think it's be great for practitioners to get to chat to each other about the challenges of working in this area and to help each other overcome any barriers they might be facing trying to get started.

It would also a good spot to share natural remedy recipes like herbal tea blends, aromatherapy formulas etc. (ie the gentle harmless stuff that can't be construed as a replacement for medical treatment)

And it would be a place where peoplle who are receiving these treatments can come and discuss how it has or has not helped them in different aspects of their lives.

Concern has been expressed by an admin that people might end up swapping advice or discussing medical treatments but I think a good mod should be able to prevent that sort of thing from happening. I don't think theres anymore of a risk than there was when the nutrition forum started up, but it is something that would need to be thought out in order to prevent it.

Anyone interested in helping me set this up PM me or add a link to your sig!

Heres the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055773249

Show some support (we're really going to need it so please leave a post on the link above) and maybe we can get something sorted! smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think there was a thread suggesting this last year, but nothing ever happened with it. Also, I prefer the word complementary therapy, as by no means are any of the therapies supposed to be an alternative to traditional medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I think there was a thread suggesting this last year, but nothing ever happened with it. Also, I prefer the word complementary therapy, as by no means are any of the therapies supposed to be an alternative to traditional medicine.

Good idea! Will ammend that if we get the thread up and running! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

+1 i'd like to see it up and running too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hooded Healer

It's time to Google "rearology"!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allucinator

Yeah, count me in...doing a course in kinesiology at the moment, also into tai-chi, medidation etc. It'd be nice to communicate with like-minded folk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

:):) +1

Its about time we got a forum like this here. Although I do think complementary health as opposed to alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hi guys I'm afraid this idea was rejected a good while back!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

+1 from me too. Would love to see this kind of forum on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Absolutely!!

I have a complete interest in this area thanks to my mum who recently set up a new business venture of natural wellbeing and health at one of hotels :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cant see this ever being allowed to happen, because of the danger of online diagnosis being provided, and the nightmare it would be to control. It would have very strong skeptical opposition.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Cant see this ever being allowed to happen, because of the danger of online diagnosis being provided, and the nightmare it would be to control. It would have very strong skeptical opposition.

Sure there are millions of threads about diet, medical problems and so on. Advice being swapped could be dangerous also but its up to the person at end of day.

Besides I'm sure the medical threads would have better chances of online diagnosis than holistic ones.

A good mod would be able to block any threads suggesting something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I think this is a great idea- I would love advice on natural homepathic remedies and therapies!!

XDivaX wrote: »
    Sure there are millions of threads about diet, medical problems and so on. Advice being swapped could be dangerous also but its up to the person at end of day.
    Problem is the buck stops with boards, who simply dont want to host dangerous advice.
    Besides I'm sure the medical threads would have better chances of online diagnosis than holistic ones.
    I dont think medical diagnosis of any kind is allowed on boards?
    A good mod would be able to block any threads suggesting something like that.
    But the boards powers that be have decided not to even go that far, particularly with advice about untried and untested remedies. Even though I have time for some of the holistic remedies, I wouldnt mod such a forum, thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_medicalpro
    Don't give/ request medical or professional advice

If you want to tell someone about the amazing results YOU have had with a certain medical treatment, then go ahead. What you can’t do is tell them that THEY should have that treatment. You aren’t a doctor. Even if you were, you haven’t examined that person physically, nor do you have a full medical history. This applies to Alternative/Complimentary medicine too. Suggesting to someone that has a serious problem that <insert alternative therapy here> might cure it is very irresponsible.

Don't diagnose anyone on the site either. You simply can’t and we don’t want you doing it. Don't do it.

Don’t request medical advice or diagnosis. If you have a rash somewhere naughty, your head is hanging off or there is green goo oozing from somewhere GO TO A DOCTOR.

Randomly asking people online what’s wrong with you and what you should do about it is about the DUMBEST THING EVER. You deserve your place in The Darwin Awards if you follow any advice you get. We disclaim ALL liability if you are stupid enough to listen and act on anything you are told here. GO TO A DOCTOR. A *REAL* ONE.

As with medical advice, requesting and acting upon Professional Advice bases on something someone's said here without having the specifics of your case in front of them is a really bad idea. An accountant cannot do your books over the internet, nor can a solicitor represent you in court, so for your own sake, if you find yourself in a position where you might need professional advice, please seek it from the right places. Again, as with medical advice, we disclaim ALL liability. We're happy for people to ask general questions about the best way to respond to a letter you may have gotten, be it from the Revenue Commissioners or from an Architect in relation to hte extension you're planning on adding to your house, but you will need to get proper advice on these matters.

I didn't say it is- just that it is more likely to happen in medical threads than holistic health. And there are plenty medical threads on here.

Thaedydal wrote: »

So everyone should know this and not attempt to seek medical diagnosis in "holistic forum" then

Should do but people will still post looking for medical advice or trying to find a cheap cure instead of going to thier dr.

So everyone should know this and not attempt to seek medical diagnosis in "holistic forum" then
    How would you see the forum functioning in that case?

Should do but people will still post looking for medical advice or trying to find a cheap cure instead of going to thier dr.

It happens in other forums so it wont be only holistic forum therefore I don't think it is fair to reject the whole idea at all.
    Can simply block the thread where that happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The main problem is that most of the stuff mentioned in the OP is hocus pocus bullsh*t that doesn't actually do anything or have any medical effect on the body......

• Advertisement

It happens in other forums so it wont be only holistic forum therefore I don't think it is fair to reject the whole idea at all.
    Can simply block the thread where that happen
    You cant use that argument when suggesting a new forum.:) Anyhoo... this needs to be taken up in the Forum Requests forum, as it was before, when it was rejected. We dont decide what forums get created, the admins do.

If you think you can put a good case and get backup for it, then thats where to do it. But you will have to counter some pretty damning arguments against it.

Dave! wrote: »
    The main problem is that most of the stuff mentioned in the OP is hocus pocus bullsh*t that doesn't actually do anything or have any medical effect on the body......

What the heck is OP?

That is your opinion but it doesn't mean all of us think the same and it is a free country.

You cant use that argument when suggesting a new forum.:) Anyhoo... this needs to be taken up in the Forum Requests forum, as it was before, when it was rejected. We dont decide what forums get created, the admins do.

If you think you can put a good case and get backup for it, then thats where to do it. But you will have to counter some pretty damning arguments against it.

I intend to when there are a lot worse forums where they actually do things they shouldn't be allowed to!

What the heck is OP?

That is your opinion but it doesn't mean all of us think the same and it is a free country.
    OP means original post/original poster.

And Dave! has shown very nicely the kind of stuff a mod of the forum would deal with daily, quite apart from medical advice issues.

Thanks Dave! :)
    Only for the likes of you trying top bring it down and think everyone have to think the same
    Woah, no need for that. Think the same? I mod paranormal ffs. You really need to argue where it counts.

Take it to the appropriate forum.

OP means original post/original poster.

And Dave! has shown very nicely the kind of stuff a mod of the forum would deal with daily, quite apart from medical advice issues.

Thanks Dave! :)

Would you like to prove that it is all hocus pocus?

I'm quite offended by this because it shows that you think we have to agree with your opinions.
    And for your information I know plenty of people who have benefited from it more than normal medical stuff but I ain't gonna make someone agree with me

Ahh I won't get involved, don't want upsetting anybody :pac: My work here is done !

Dave! wrote: »
    Ahh I won't get involved, don't want upsetting anybody :pac: My work here is done !

thanks!

I was wrong. The application thread hadnt been rejected, its still hanging around the forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65030297#post65030297

If the forum get those sort of drive bys then there has to be strict rules about it and the mod need to have a heavy hand on the ban stick to discourage it. There are things on the list above which I am skeptical myself and some which I know certainly can work.

• Advertisement

If the forum get those sort of drive bys then there has to be strict rules about it and the mod need to have a heavy hand on the ban stick to discourage it. There are things on the list above which I am skeptical myself and some which I know certainly can work.
    So would there be strict rules, presumably based on the mod's disrection, on which 'alternative' treatments can be discussed and which can not? Say, the ones that have been rigorously tested scientifically and shown to work should be allowed, and the rest should be cast aside? Or do we allow people to recommend hocus pocus stuff like crystal healing for ailments even though there's not evidence that it works?

Advertisement