Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what smartphones are suitable as an alternative to a netbook.

Options
  • 20-12-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

what smartphones are suitable as an alternative to buying a netbook.
    I have a budget of 300-350euro and would prefer a PAYG or sim free model.

My requirements are internet browsing, open office or word and excel editing, decent storage for music and movies/video, i use webmail so email programs like outlook are not a must. video recording and a half decent camera. gps and maps with a good radio. not sure which operating system is better or whether a touchscreen or qwerty keyboard is more beneficial. what other features are worth having on the phone?

I realise the iphone is a good internet phone but its very expensive. some of the nokia E series phones like the 71,72 and 63 were recommended on this site and the htc and a samsung omnia were recommended to me also. are there others to consider?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

if its Basic internet you need, Get a normal phone, and a small netbook in fairness.

`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have both, W995 and Samsung N140. TBH using the phone for brousing dose my block in, tiny screen, no proper mouse, delay and also the prohibitive cost if you go over the allowance. For that cash you would get a basic RTG plus a Windows XP Asus 901 or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ceoexec2

thanks lads but im resigned to getting a smartphone so is there any that you can recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've an e71, does most things I need, internent browsing is very good, e72 is out now and has a better camera, that was one of the let downs with the e71...still a great phone, probably the best battery life out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

N900 is out of your price range but would be ideal, since it's an internet tablet at heart.

• Advertisement

what is the screen like on the e71. i havent heard anything bad about the phone but the screen looks very small. can it record video and can it send it by email and what is the gps like

im just doing a search on the n900 now, never heard of it untill now. what is the price and where can it be bought. is it superior to the iphone and top of the range smartphones

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

ceoexec2 wrote: »
    what is the screen like on the e71. i havent heard anything bad about the phone but the screen looks very small. can it record video and can it send it by email and what is the gps like

im just doing a search on the n900 now, never heard of it untill now. what is the price and where can it be bought. is it superior to the iphone and top of the range smartphones

thanks

N900 is the cream de la cream(or however you say it). Honestly, like most of the posters here that have done the research and are patiently awaiting its arrival...its going to blow the competition out of the water. Youtube it and you'll see what the hype is all about.
    Probably out of your price range, but its well worth it. I can't wait to get mine.

I've a mate in the UK who just got one yesterday and he said he could'nt leave it down. He rang me via the integrated skype feature that comes built into the phone via Wi-fi and the quality was 100% perfect.

People are frothing at the mouth to get their hands on this device :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Have used the N900 - its damn nice, but I still think the Motorola Milestone will be the better phone.

OP - 300-350 is not a realistic budget for a useable PAYG smart phone with the feature set you're describing. The N97 is probably the best match @ about 500 PAYG, but it runs symbian which is a load of bollacks when it starts getting slowed down. There's an LG model in vodafone at the moment for about 260 that runs windows mobile, decent camera, fm/mp3 and WiFi - but its still no replacement for a laptop. The Samsung H1 has an OLED screen, WiFi and 16gb HD. The browser is the best I've used, and it runs a variation of a mobile LinuxOS. If you're resigned to getting a mobile as opposed to a netbook, do remember

NO SMARTPHONE CAN HANDLE FLASH.
    EVEN THE ONES THAT SAY THEY CAN.
    JAVA IS ALSO BE HILARIOUSLY DODGY.
    BE PREPARED TO WAIT. AS IN 56k WAIT.

thanks again. maybe i am better getting a lower end ph and netbook.

can any of these lower price range phones be considered smartphones and if so what are the drawbacks. are there any others worth considering lower down in price

Samsung Tocco Lite
    Nokia E63
    Samsung Galaxy Spica
    htc tattoo

bump.

ok ive decided to buy a ph tomorrow to complement a netbook( nc10).

i just need the ph to be able to browse the web, email and use the odd social networking sites. skype,wifi, gps and maps would be nice extras.

can anyone recommend?

im paying 300+ for the netbook so dont want to break the bank. really appreciate the help as busdget is tight and dont want to make a bad purchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Have you looked at nokia n86?

The nokia n900 is pretty spectacular, but touchscreen. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

That motorola milestone just cant be a phone, it's enormous!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Have had an Omnia for a while now but retired it with Samsung Spica(for gmail based mails...excellent),Omnia is a good feature rich phone but its not the most responsive,patience required,plenty of good firmwares out there if your up for flashing it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have a E71 and personally I hate using it for the web, office docs etc. You can do it, but its not enjoyable. The Nokia S60 also I have find the most buggy thing ever, especially if you use Sync much. I have a iPod Touch and its light years better for web stuff. Or indeed doing anything. Even then if your doing as much as you say you are, I'd get a network or even a small latop. As the experience and general usefulness is just vastly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

In my humble opinion the Palm Pre is the best smart phone available! Very easy to use, good OS and UI and its very customisable. Combines a touch screen and a qwerty keyboard. 8GB of storage, good media player and 3MP camera with video recording. Better touchscreen and accelerometer, can run multiple apps at once and switch between them in card view. Paid apps now available aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The N900 is about as close to a netbook as you can get. There isn't much that it can't handle.

Note sure how long Palm are going to be around though...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

BostonB wrote: »
    Note sure how long Palm are going to be around though...

True... If they are bought out by a bigger player I imagine (and hope!) webOS might be kept alive though. Its just by far the best OS out there. Its seamless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

The N900 is about as close to a netbook as you can get. There isn't much that it can't handle.

...on the other hand the UI isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

given this thread is over 4 months old I doubt the OP is still looking for advise

• Advertisement

Thank you BROWNE51 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

What about the HTC Legend or indeed what appears to be a better version - HTC Desire from Meteor? Thinking of upgrading soon from an N95 8gb.

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No other phone than the N900 compares to a Netbook.

Android is another fine choice too if the N900 costs a bit too much.

Guy in work has a Samsung B7610 Omnia Pro, Windows Mobile 6.5. Seems a good all rounder if you must have a smart phone. Personally I won't buy another Nokia one. Windows Mobile while clunky at least works as you'd expect.

http://pocketnow.com/review/samsung-omnia-pro-b7610

Guy in work has a Samsung B7610 Omnia Pro, Windows Mobile 6.5. Seems a good all rounder if you must have a smart phone. Personally I won't buy another Nokia one. Windows Mobile while clunky at least works as you'd expect.

http://pocketnow.com/review/samsung-omnia-pro-b7610
    Windows Mobile is hardly a match for Symbian (IMO) let alone Maemo 5. This isn't your typical Nokia phone, it runs Maemo instead of Symbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ceoexec2 wrote: »
    thanks lads but im resigned to getting a smartphone so is there any that you can recommend.

Save your moola and buy a good phone & a netbook. You can pick one up for €120 or less on Adverts.

I've tried nearly every smart phone out there. iPhone, N97, N96, N95 and the E series. They are good for on the go and no time to lose, but for serious work, forget it.

As said earlier the best thing you could buy is the N900 or similar. But even then, a netbook has miles on it.

Windows Mobile is hardly a match for Symbian (IMO) let alone Maemo 5. This isn't your typical Nokia phone, it runs Maemo instead of Symbian.

Personally I found it vastly more reliable and useful than Symbian. I've given up trying to get apps from Ovi, and as for synching with exchange, outlook, reliably, good night.

...on the other hand the UI isn't for everyone.

The UI is anything but perfect and could be refined somewhat but that's about as critical as you could be on that front.

Personally I found it vastly more reliable and useful than Symbian. I've given up trying to get apps from Ovi, and as for synching with exchange, outlook, reliably, good night.
    The N900 doesn't run on Symbian.

Maemo is probably the best mobile OS out there right now. It's a shame that it's only available on one phone. Actually if Maemo was to be ported to other Devices I would install it alongside Android on my phone. It's infinitley better than Symbian.

• Advertisement

Maemo isn't as good as you a making out and Symbian isn't as bad either.

Maemo improves on so much but Symbian still does a lot quite well..

Ultimately, Nokia are letting themselves down on both fronts.

Advertisement