Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering In Holland?

Options
  • 20-12-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Why exactly is it necessary to register in holland or amsterdam in particular.

I moved into this apartment after getting work. I went into a bank and tried to open an account. They said I needed a registered address. My landlord said I could not use his address.

I went to another bank, they opened an account for me and I just gave them my work address where they could post my card and statements and so forth, a registered address did not seem to be a problem.

I get paid the end of the month straight into my account. Is it possible that somehow my lack of having registered will cause a problem with the payment?

The only reason I can see that I actually really am required to register is that it is the law and a felony not to do so. But who's gonna know?? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

JamMasterG wrote: »
    Why exactly is it necessary to register in holland or amsterdam in particular.

I moved into this apartment after getting work. I went into a bank and tried to open an account. They said I needed a registered address. My landlord said I could not use his address.

I went to another bank, they opened an account for me and I just gave them my work address where they could post my card and statements and so forth, a registered address did not seem to be a problem.

I get paid the end of the month straight into my account. Is it possible that somehow my lack of having registered will cause a problem with the payment?

The only reason I can see that I actually really am required to register is that it is the law and a felony not to do so. But who's gonna know?? :o

Nah don't bother, its probably not likely that you can anyway, your landlord is most likely renting black. i.e. hes not declaring it.

Basically if its very cheap, your renting a council house/apartment and its not possible to register a differet name other than your landlords to that address.

If you do want to try and register you can do it at:

Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, loket Amsterdam

http://amsterdam.nl/algemene_onderdelen/functies/adressengids?OrgGgvDrgIdt=51639&SysIdt=P0001&popup=always

If you dont register you wont get bills for city taxes and stuff, however you also wont be able to prove you were ever resident in the country, or ever be able to claim services (dole,council housing assistance,parking permit etc) ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JamMasterG

Happydays. My worry was that the tax office might ask for my post address at some point and somehow determine that I was not registered. After asking around a bit today however the feedback I seem to be getting is that this will probably not be the case..?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

There are two kinds of registration when you arrive here, one is registration with your local gemeentehuis (town hall) to register yourself as living at an address in Amsterdam. For this you need proof of your address plus ID. If you are living in a sublet situation or for whatever reason cannot use the address you're staying at, then you won't be able to register. Many people are in this situation and never officially register with the gemeente.

Once/if you have registered with the gemeente you can then register with the IND (Immigration Police) and this is required of any EU citizen planning to stay in Holland for more than 90 days. If however you have no official address you won't be able to do this, again lots of people don't.

There won't be any issue with salary payment etc. although you were really lucky to be able to open a bank account. Many banks will look for a document from the gemeentehuis which says you are registered to an address in Amsterdam.

Not sure what the consequences are of not registering with either the IND or the Gemeente, it is indeed obligatory but not doing so does not affect your rights to stay here. You will have problems if you need to claim any social welfare benefits, apply for a loan and some other situations, but in the immediate/short-term there should not be any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JamMasterG

I got my pay slip from work just last night. My landlord happened to collect it from the mail box.
    He wasn't particularly happy that it had been mailed to his address. He was complaining the tax folk would catch up to him sooner or later and make him declare tax on his sublet.

As I said I had asked around with quite a few people and the general opinion seemed to be that this would not be the case but just for extra reassurance is there anyone on here that can contribute their experience of anything like this, whether it was a problem or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Razzle wrote: »
    There are two kinds of registration when you arrive here, one is registration with your local gemeentehuis (town hall) to register yourself as living at an address in Amsterdam. For this you need proof of your address plus ID. If you are living in a sublet situation or for whatever reason cannot use the address you're staying at, then you won't be able to register. Many people are in this situation and never officially register with the gemeente.

Once/if you have registered with the gemeente you can then register with the IND (Immigration Police) and this is required of any EU citizen planning to stay in Holland for more than 90 days. If however you have no official address you won't be able to do this, again lots of people don't.

There won't be any issue with salary payment etc. although you were really lucky to be able to open a bank account. Many banks will look for a document from the gemeentehuis which says you are registered to an address in Amsterdam.

Not sure what the consequences are of not registering with either the IND or the Gemeente, it is indeed obligatory but not doing so does not affect your rights to stay here. You will have problems if you need to claim any social welfare benefits, apply for a loan and some other situations, but in the immediate/short-term there should not be any problems.

Registration with the IND is no longer required if you are an EU Citizen.

All you need to open a bank account is a BSN Number, i.e. the letter you got from the Belastingdienst. Most people I know never registered and never had an issue

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »

That's what I thought too but according to their website it is still required.

JamMasterG wrote: »
    I got my pay slip from work just last night. My landlord happened to collect it from the mail box.
    He wasn't particularly happy that it had been mailed to his address. He was complaining the tax folk would catch up to him sooner or later and make him declare tax on his sublet.

As I said I had asked around with quite a few people and the general opinion seemed to be that this would not be the case but just for extra reassurance is there anyone on here that can contribute their experience of anything like this, whether it was a problem or not?

In a sublet situation you normally you do need your landlords permission to use the address, or they'll often tell you when you sign the contract not to use it for any official purposes.

I'm not sure what he can do about it, or if he can indeed be caught for tax as a result. I would have thought that was only an issue if you register at that address which I don't think you have done.

craichoe wrote: »

All you need to open a bank account is a BSN Number, i.e. the letter you got from the Belastingdienst. Most people I know never registered and never had an issue

BSN numbers are issued by the gemeente now once you have registered with them, so not sure how that works for people who don't have an address at which they can register.

Advertisement