Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying a post grad in the USA.

Options
  • 20-12-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I hope this is the correct forum to be asking this question on but wasn't sure. Anyway I was talking to somebody recently who mentioned that they were applying for a post grad in a few colleges in the states. When I brought up the topic of the generally high tuition fees for colleges in the states the person told me that you can study free if you go as a teaching assistant or something. Didn't get the full jist of it but the person was saying that he had friends who were out there doing it. You basically had to work part time as a teacher or assistant to one. Does anybody know anything or have ever heard anything about this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

That is what my husband (he is American) did, as his parents were not rich. He taught some 1st year college courses and tutorials, and in return paid only 20% of the normal postgrad fees. I think he taught 6-8 hours a week, plus correcting essays etc. Not sure how easy it is to get those "jobs", especially for foreigners, I'd say it'll depend on your degree

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I crossed the pond to attend a four year degree programme at USC after getting a free ride and stipend. I'm now in my final year and applying for grad school, including scholarships, grants, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and paid internships. I am applying for anything that would cover any portion or all of tuition, fees, books, insurance, room and board if awarded, so I spend a lot of time filling out apps. My USC academic adviser has been very helpful in this process, as has the career center and grad school at USC.

I would recommend that you contact your former university and link up with faculty you know that may suggest financial aid or degree-related work at the grad schools of universites you would like to attend in the States (They may also have faculty friends at your target universities they can contact for you). I would also recommend that you narrow down your choices to about 5 grad schools in the States (rather than using the shotgun approach and not concentrating on a few), then try to hook up with grad faculty in your discipline at each, along with their clerical staff members that often handle details during admission and funding considerations. You can also contact and actively pursue degree related paid internships and work through their career placement centers, should you be admitted and funded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I'm currently a grad student in the US, and the funding really varies by department. Generally PhD students get priority for TAships, etc. If you are a masters student at a big university, there are sometimes opportunities to be a teaching assistant (grading papers, etc), but not all programs will cover your tuition; they only pay you enough for living expenses. And there are very few opportunities for TA positions if you are a professional student (law, etc).

Whatever you do, be sure to get a clear statement of financial support from your department IN WRITING. Sadly I know a lot of graduate students who did not have guaranteed funding but were told that "most" people were able to get jobs as teaching assistants, etc. Well, with the economic downturn, a lot of departments have cut their funding and courses offered, so there are a lot fewer positions to go around...this includes top tier schools as well. And in the meantime, my friends are now caught in the middle of the school year with no financial support from their department, no opportunities to work elsewhere, and no job outside of academia. The situation is even worse for international students - if you do not have a position, and are not enrolled full time with some means of support, you have to leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Sounds like its pretty tough to get in to and I doubt I would ever qualify with just a BS in Business? Is it just for people who would be doing Science related post grad's in involving lab work and research based courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Definitely not just science- my husband did a BA in Political Science and then a postgrad in public administration. I know another US friend who did ancient history and archeology and got her tuition paid too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Not too sure on masters, but I know a lot of universities give free tuition, healthcare and a stipend to all history PHD students (although only a few are taken on), in return for TAs etc. A couple of people I know are out doing that in Fordham and BCU. They had to provide writing samples of 10-15 pages, a personal statement, 3 references etc and got lucky.
    Although an ex-student of my old fella is having it tough out in Fordham; the TAs mean a lot less time for research and the stipend is tough for living in New York.

Out of interest BLue, how did you wrangle the tuition fees/stipend? Didn't think they were on the cards for international undergrad students.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Out of interest BLue, how did you wrangle the tuition fees/stipend?
    It's a bit complicated, but it helped that I was a faculty brat and knew how to jump through the academic hoops.
    Didn't think they were on the cards for international undergrad students.
    Having dual citizenship probably helped, although admission test scores (SATs), recommendations, and a killer portfolio (for drama-film course of study) contributed too.

Now I'm hoping for a free-ride sequel in grad school (fingers crossed and holding my breath!).:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Good luck with that!

Advertisement