Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studying a post grad in the states?

• 20-12-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

I was talking to somebody recently who mentioned that they were applying for a post grad in a few colleges in the states. When I brought up the topic of the generally high tuition fees for colleges in the states the person told me that you can study free if you go as a teaching assistant or something. Didn't get the full jist of it but the person was saying that he had friends who were out there doing it. You basically had to work part time as a teacher or assistant to one. Does anybody know anything or have ever heard anything about this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

That's right. I have a few friends doing that. They waive your fees and pay you a subsistence wage to do monkey work for senior academics. Good deal, I say. You're also free to seek other funding, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Jesus Enterprise Ireland, IRCSET & SFI funded research students here in Ireland have to give tutorials, labs, etc for free. I did it. I also saw self funded postgrads giving classes without pay for their supervisors. 4th level academia in this country is so shady and needs to be regulated much better. Too mant senior academics take the absolute pi$$ and abuse their power.

I say be careful about what u are asked to do and remember why YOU are doing a postgrad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

ve wrote: »
    Jesus Enterprise Ireland, IRCSET & SFI funded research students here in Ireland have to give tutorials, labs, etc for free. I did it. I also saw self funded postgrads giving classes without pay for their supervisors. 4th level academia in this country is so shady and needs to be regulated much better. Too mant senior academics take the absolute pi$$ and abuse their power.

I say be careful about what u are asked to do and remember why YOU are doing a postgrad

Sorry I posted the OP but was logged in to my brother's account as we share computer. Anyway what exactly do you mean by be careful what you are asked to do? I study Business and I would love to do something after college with music and business.

Advertisement