Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash Power

• 20-12-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Need some advice on power options for my Canon 580EX II.

I find that it is eating through batteries, especially when I'm stuck in and doing still life shots in the house. I can get through a 4 pack of Energizer Ultimate batteries in no time at all.
    I also have a set of rechargeable Duracell AA's rated at 1800mh

Can you recommend a good battery solution for me to use considering it would be above average use?

If you have the same flash or similar, what do you use?

I want to keep the "ongoing" costs down, so would opting for a rechargeable solution be best?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I and a lot of others use Sanyo Eneloops. They're bloody good and hold their charge for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

kensutz wrote: »
    I and a lot of others use Sanyo Eneloops. They're bloody good and hold their charge for ages.

Any good places to buy, including charger?

www.batterycity.ie

Based outside of Ireland but they're quite good and reasonable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

kensutz wrote: »
    I and a lot of others use Sanyo Eneloops.

Can they be recharged in a bog standard charger or dod you have to use a dedicated one?

I'd say they'll recharge in a normal charger. There's nothing special about the one I bought with my batteries tbh.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the recommendation Kensutz.

I read a few reviews ab out them and apparently the standard Sanyo charger that you can get for these takes 12hrs to recharge a set of 4.
    The Uniross sprint charger takes only 2hrs.

Think I will try and pick up both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I'm heavily invested in Rechargable Energizers but if I had to buy over again i'd use Eneloops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Eneloops are good, but also consider Annsmann Re-Chargables - they have a similar version to Sanyo's and also 2850ma Re-Chargables which are FANTASTIC!
    Another more serious (€) option is a unit like the Quantum Turbo Compact which will give you all day shooting AND much faster re-cycling times. Conns, Berminghams and Barker Photographic stock them.

Just ordered 4 packs of Eneloops & the Eneloop charger which comes with a pack of Eneloops from Amazon €60 inc delivery by the the 24th.

Couldn't find a Uniross sprint charger that would get here before Xmas so will pick one up in the new year. I can live with overnight charges for the time being.

Eneloops are good, but also consider Annsmann Re-Chargables - they have a similar version to Sanyo's and also 2850ma Re-Chargables which are FANTASTIC!
    Another more serious (€) option is a unit like the Quantum Turbo Compact which will give you all day shooting AND much faster re-cycling times. Conns, Berminghams and Barker Photographic stock them.

Thanks! I think the Quantum Turbo Compact is a little out my price range at the moment. Maybe if I decide to get a bit more serious about this hobby I will splash out on something like this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Enloops are grand but I use Uniross 2700mha rechargeables and they last really long and dont fall off as quick as the enloops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Any one around next year who would be willing to meet up and do a bit flashy stuff, ie in-depth techy stuff, I have the 580EXII as well. Im sure a few people will be getting a flash for xmass or if anyone wants to try out using a flash could come along.

We were out in Dublin the other day, Zaraba took these shots here using my flash but we were a little bit stumped on a few things like settings and how best to set it up like let the camera control the flash or the flash control the camera if ya get what I mean !
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055774554

Anyone up for that ? Boards Flashers meet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

+1 for the Sanyo Eneloop batteries.On Kensutz recommendation...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Chorcai wrote: »
    Any one around next year who would be willing to meet up and do a bit flashy stuff, ie in-depth techy stuff, I have the 580EXII as well. Im sure a few people will be getting a flash for xmass or if anyone wants to try out using a flash could come along.

Anyone up for that ? Boards Flashers meet :D

I would be very interested in going on that

Count me in for that Chorcai

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

sounds interesting, count me in

4 people interested already. Ill post it in Photo Exp sub forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

My favourite technique for on street flash shots HAS to be Bruce Gilden. As illustrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM :eek:

By favourite I mean end results wise, I've never had the guts to do something similar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

This guy is really good. Lots of power and never lets you down.

flash_gordon_movie_image.jpg

lol, Could you imagine a group of Boardsie's walking down grafton street doing that...
    Bring a whole new meaning to Flash Mob :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Borderfox wrote: »
    Enloops are grand but I use Uniross 2700mha rechargeables and they last really long and dont fall off as quick as the enloops

Same as me and they are available from all Maplin shops. :cool:

I also use the external battery pack with the flash which ensure it lasts forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Another + for the Uniross 2700mAh.

Got a pack of 4 with a 1 hr charger for 20 pound from mymemory.co.uk few months ago. Just also received my order of triple pack of 4 for 21 pound.

Will do enough to keep my speedlight and game controllers running. :D

My favourite technique for on street flash shots HAS to be Bruce Gilden. As illustrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM :eek:

By favourite I mean end results wise, I've never had the guts to do something similar :D

He has some brass set on him alright, he only gets away with it cause hes a older guy ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

DK32 wrote: »
    Hi,

Need some advice on power options for my Canon 580EX II.

I find that it is eating through batteries, especially when I'm stuck in and doing still life shots in the house. I can get through a 4 pack of Energizer Ultimate batteries in no time at all.
    I also have a set of rechargeable Duracell AA's rated at 1800mh

Can you recommend a good battery solution for me to use considering it would be above average use?

If you have the same flash or similar, what do you use?

I want to keep the "ongoing" costs down, so would opting for a rechargeable solution be best?

Thanks,

If you're doing most of your shooting at home, in a fixed or semi-fixed position, then the best solution for you might be a dummy battery and rechargeable lead-acid battery (e.g. from Maplin).

The eneloops are good - but not much use if you're intending to recharge and use them immediately. Their main advantage over normal rechargeables is that they hold their charge for much longer. This can be an advantage in other situations, but not so much in yours.

For standard rechargeables, I fidn the 7dayshop ones (2800 mAh) ones good. I have heard many bad reports about Uniross ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have some from 7dayshop and I am very happy about capacity and endurance. We will see once my new flash crosses over the Atlantic ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Pinarello wrote: »
    +1 for the Sanyo Eneloop batteries.On Kensutz recommendation...;)

Just ordered up a bunch of them, hoping I can get by with the 1 (x4) charger for 12 batteries - this strobe lark eats batteries.

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cheap eneloops can be got from DealExtreme -yes, it comes from Hong Kong, but delivery is usually fairly quick, and I get all my lights (bike, not photography!) and batteries from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Slightly off topic.

Does anyone know where to get cheap plastic battery holder cases in Dublin? Would be handy rather than throwing all batteries in the camera bag like candies.

As mentioned above, I got few from 7dayshop instead of going to a pound shop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

ThOnda wrote: »
    As mentioned above, I got few from 7dayshop instead of going to a pound shop...

STOCK : ON ORDER
    Sorry, this product
    is now SOLD OUT

DOH! I bought few last year with another order. They are very handy.

Advertisement