Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and sky+ in donegal without a phoneline

Options
  • 20-12-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to get decent broadband and sky+ without getting a phoneline into the house in donegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all Sky+ is just an additional feature of your Sky sub so on that front you just need the usual dish with a twin LNB. You can have sky installed without a landline.

Broadband without a landline is also available but Im not aware of any company who carry both wireless BB and Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Thanks Muffler,

Line rental can be quite steep

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gerry28 wrote: »
    Thanks Muffler,

Line rental can be quite steep
    Line rental is not cheap as you say but there are so many packages out there that it could pay you to get a land line installed depending on your phone usage.

For example I pay €52 a month and that includes 7mb broadband (60GB download limit), all local and national calls up to 1 hour duration and land line cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If you really do not want a landline then i would suggest getting ntl/whatever they are callin themselves this week's broadband as it would be bnc coax cable (not a phoneline basically) and then sky for tv

Although with the money you would be out for the ntl on top of the sky it might be as broad as it is long but it is an option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

€52 per month/€12 a week is a good price for broadband and line rental if you use the home phone often. I use mobile phone mainly for calls and rarely use a landline. I think the cheapest line rental is 25 per month.

In terms of NTL i'm not sure if you can record on it.

If i could get decent reliable broadband and be able to record, pause and rewind live TV for a resonable price i'd be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

GAAman wrote: »
    If you really do not want a landline then i would suggest getting ntl/whatever they are callin themselves this week's broadband as it would be bnc coax cable (not a phoneline basically) and then sky for tv

Although with the money you would be out for the ntl on top of the sky it might be as broad as it is long but it is an option :)

NTL/Chorus/UPC do not offer TV, Broadband or Phone anywhere in Donegal. Their current coverage is available to look at here.
    gerry28 wrote:
    n terms of NTL i'm not sure if you can record on it.

You can-but as NTL isn't available in Donegal, it's not really relevant.
    gerry28 wrote:
    If i could get decent reliable broadband and be able to record, pause and rewind live TV for a resonable price i'd be very happy.

For broadband, the best offer I am aware of that is available in Donegal is through Vodafone. Smart Telecom might also be an option?

If you want Sky +, then you have no choice as to where you get it-you must go through Sky and pay them whatever they ask. There are no bundled Sky and broadband deals (Sky Broadband is not available in Ireland).

There may be freeview options available through a non-Sky box, and if you add a HDD receiver or DVD recorder, then I guess you would have Sky + type functionality, but not the 'real thing'. I'm sure the guys in the Satellite forum would be able to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Most approved SKy Installers will not be able to install SKy without a landline as SKY make it part of their contract, the idea being you will purchase things using the Red Button over the phone line. Many installers will hook up to your landline just for the installation period to prove to sky you have it and then disconnect.

You should also consider Free sat, now getting quite cheap or in many parts of East Donegal Free View is available out of Northern Ireland.

There are a few Wirelass Broadband providers, I would hold off personally to see if Imagine come in in the near future, they are rolling out nationwide and promise big things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Most approved SKy Installers will not be able to install SKy without a landline as SKY make it part of their contract,

Sorry not true, when you go to order sky you will be asked do you have a landline, simply say no they charge you a one off fee around 50euro cant remember exactly what the fee is but you dont need a phone line plugged into your sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have a vodaphone mobile modem up here; no mobile phone and we do have a landline. But the line way up here needs upgrading... very poor and erratic reception even so. No other way to access internet.

Advertisement