Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Packages in 2010

Options
  • 20-12-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,
    My friend told me that Eircom was saying to him that they will be offering new faster speed broadband packages in 2010. Anyone else hear about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not unless they change all the ADSL gear in most of the exchanges to ADSL2+, which they cannot afford due to the 4 billion of debt. Most people can already get the max their line can support

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

He did tell me that they are going to upgrade the exchanges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are quietly upgrading some of them anyway ( adding ADSL2+ line cards) and not telling the wholesale channel about it.

Hope its soon because 7MB broadband is not super fast.

markmcg wrote: »
    Hope its soon because 7MB broadband is not super fast.

How about they finish off enabling the rest of the exchanges first. What can You not do on 7mbit? 1-2mbit is plenty for most people and is sufficient for browsing, streaming, skype etc

• Advertisement

I do more than surf the web. I use the 360 and ps3 and theres a few in my house use the Internet at the same time.

I do more than surf the web. I use the 360 and ps3 and theres a few in my house use the Internet at the same time.

You can do that on 1-2Mbit,
    1Mbit is enough to stream a Youtube hd vid, reason its slow it the servers haven't got enough bandwith to cope with the evenings, increasing Your bandwith won't fix that.

What You need more than more download bandwith is a higher upload. Playing games and skype uses very little bandwith, but Your upload is very important, all dsl broadband packages give You one eighth of the upstream speed.

I've got Eircom 7.6Mbit, just cos I want the 672kbps (get ~512k) upload, I'd gladly sacrifice half my download for more upload. A 2 or 3Mbit down, 1Mbit up would be perfect for me, I've same as You, few pc's, consoles, kids with laptops etc. My Mam has 2 down 1 up from a Wireless provider and its just perfect

With the eircom 7mb i can only get just over 700 kbps downloading files.

With the eircom 7mb i can only get just over 700 kbps downloading files.

:rolleyes: That would be 700 KB/s KiloBytes per second as opposed to kbps kilobits per second. Multiply by 8 to get it into kilobits per second (as there's 8 bits in a byte)
    700x8=5600kbps

There's 1024 kilobits in a Megabit, therefore divide by 1024 to get Megabits
    5600/1024=5.4Megabit

right ok. my speed test shows 6.07MB. but I want a faster speed. once eircom upgrades my exchange i'm getting a faster speed. I use computers a lot and I have a degree in computing so I like faster speed.

• Advertisement

But thats my point, 20Mbit doesn't open pages quicker than what You got. Faster speeds would make zero difference to You if You're not doing anything to need them. Like me, I don't need faster speeds, I run all my downloads at night, start them when I goto bed, they're done in the morn. I'd prefer to see them finish enabling the rest exchanges, lower the price of line rental and offer packages with higher upload

Yeah I know what you mean. broadband prices are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Latency can be a limit to opening web pages quickly rather than simply speed.
    Due to multiple server sources, DNS, ARP etc, you can multiply your ping time by 4 to 10 to get a minimum overhead on opening pages.

This is why even with 2Mbps speed test on Mobile, actually loading a web page can be x10 slower than 1Mbps DSL!

If they put you on higher interleave to achieve 7.6Mbps DSL package, then web pages can actually be 50% slower to fully load than on a low ping 3Mbps DSL.

Streaming and Downloads benefits from higher speed though, no matter what the latency (ping) is.

I have never noticed much difference between 3Mbps and 20Mbps on Web page browsing on 25ms to 2ms pings. At 120ms you really see page load time dramatically increase (x6 slower typically even @3Mbps.), and again little difference between 0.7Mbps and 3Mbps at the 170ms Mobile latency.

Here is more about why the basic ping or latency can be multiplied MANY TIMES before a web page renders. Thus for browsing low latency (<50ms, ideally < 30ms) is as important as speed and much more than 2Mbps is unimportant unless you are on < 10ms latency.
    http://www.schillmania.com/content/entries/2009/browser-performance-cost-of-social-media/

This is a good one to test with.
    http://mashable.com/

Compare load time on Metro, UPC cable, regular DSL, high interleave 7.6Mbps DSL, Imagine "WiMax", Ripwave, EDGE, 3G/HSPA mobile and a decent Satellite provider.

I'd guess due to HTTP Acceleration, ARP & DNS cache and TCP/IP spoofing that Satellite will outperform many connections on that site.

It takes my browser over 5 sec to load that site http://mashable.com/ I have over 7.5Mbps download.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I thought I'd bring this link to your attention:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/bbkblink.asp?case=10452

I thought I'd bring this link to your attention:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/bbkblink.asp?case=10452

Don't see any exchanges in Donegal on it. My friend was told me that eircom said that eircom will be offering faster speeds next year and he lives in donegal near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Eircom are a rubbish company with rubbish broadband and are years if not decades behind other European countries.

I wouldnt hold my breath on getting better speed from them upgrading your exchange because even if they do the wiring to your house is still crap so more than likely wont make a difference

Pog knows what hes talking about with the upload being important,my 4mb upload is perfect for gaming,skype,you tube .......

One of the best things I ever done was getting rid of that piece of crap that is Eircom........

Yeah Eircom are rubbish. My 7MB was going crap for while. took a while to get sorted. sometimes it still goes slow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my line syncs at 7616 but some days it gos to 7008 so im borderline 7.6meg. So it seems thats the max my line will take and living just over 2km from the exchange I cant see any future developments like adsl2+ or Vdsl making any difference to my speeds.

Gonzo wrote: »
    my line syncs at 7616 but some days it gos to 7008 so im borderline 7.6meg. So it seems thats the max my line will take and living just over 2km from the exchange I cant see any future developments like adsl2+ or Vdsl making any difference to my speeds.

I was told by Eircom that they don't do 7.6MB anymore.
    My line shows 7168 kbps. I ran speed test on it and it shows 6.07MB.
    Is that good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Kev. wrote: »
    Eircom are a rubbish company with rubbish broadband and are years if not decades behind other European countries.

I wouldnt hold my breath on getting better speed from them upgrading your exchange because even if they do the wiring to your house is still crap so more than likely wont make a difference

Pog knows what hes talking about with the upload being important,my 4mb upload is perfect for gaming,skype,you tube .......

One of the best things I ever done was getting rid of that piece of crap that is Eircom........
    What ISP you with kev 4mb upload nice wish i had that instead of 300kpb.I also online game it crap when u get lag and some games only find a handful of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Don't see any exchanges in Donegal on it. My friend was told me that eircom said that eircom will be offering faster speeds next year and he lives in donegal near me.

I wouldn't mind if they'd just upgrade my exchange (Gleneely, in Inishowen) to basic ADSL. Never mind the faster speeds. Why should places which ALREADY HAVE broadband be listed for "faster speeds" when I'm being told it is "uneconomical" even to give me the basic?

I wouldn't mind if they'd just upgrade my exchange (Gleneely, in Inishowen) to basic ADSL. Never mind the faster speeds. Why should places which ALREADY HAVE broadband be listed for "faster speeds" when I'm being told it is "uneconomical" even to give me the basic?

Hi,
    I'm also from inishowen. what exchange are u connected to? i use to have nwewn wireless broadband for 4 years. Got it out in November and got eircom broadband. I had to get eircom to take me off the carrier line and put me onto a direct line to exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

My neighbour is on a VDSL trial (Ballyboden), could be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

aphex™ wrote: »
    My neighbour is on a VDSL trial (Ballyboden), could be that?

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/11/04/story27834.asp
    Eircom to expand broadband speeds four-fold
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 - By Adrian Weckler
    Eircom plans to upgrade up to a third of its broadband lines to facilitate speeds of 25 megabits per second (Mbs) - more than four times the speed of its current highest home service - by 2010, according to its chief technology officer.

Geoff Shakespeare said that 37 exchanges - representing almost 600,000 working phone lines - have been earmarked for the upgrade.

He also said that, in the next three years, more than half of all the company's phone lines are planned to be upgraded to facilitate speeds of 12Mbs. The upgrades represent a €60 million investment in the company's “core network'‘, according to Shakespeare.

He said towns with at least 2,000 working lines will be prioritised for the build-out and that the services will have “no contention ratio'‘, meaning speeds will not vary depending on how many others are on the line at the same time.

“It's being driven by decentralisation, demands by enterprise and also competition from cable companies,” said Shakespeare.

However, until then, most users will only see “incremental'‘ speed increases of up to 6Mbs over the next two years, he said.

Shakespeare said that Eircom's investment in creating a ‘next generation network' will be based on both very high speed digital subscriber lines (VDSL) and ADSL 2 technology.

“Theoretically, VDSL can get you 100Mbs, but 25 is more realistic. We have 37 exchanges initially marked for VDSL and are waiting for the business case for enabling them to be signed off. ADSL 2 is ideally up to 24Mbs, but on our network you're looking at about 12Mbs.

“But that's just up to 1 kilometre from the exchange. After that, it begins to drop off. Putting VDSL into our cabinets and driving that from there is our plan.”

Shakespeare said that eliminating the speed of contention and backhaul would boost users' broadband experience.

“In the current environment, up to 6Mbs is as much as our lines will take,” he said.

“The goal now is to take the contention out of the network and take backhaul out of the network. Our current average loop length is about 2.7 kilometres, but some are as long as eight to nine kilometres. The longer it is, the more speeds drops off the line in the current environment.”

Shakespeare said faster speeds will enable Eircom to enter new markets, such as television. He said the company was about to launch a trial in Temple Bar showing TV and film content over broadband lines. This will be among a test audience of up to 100 people, he said.

The service will entail ‘on-demand' programmes and films, where users can pick programmes from any part of listed TV schedules and pause, fast-forward or rewind through the broadcast. Content could include films such as Die Hard 4.0, as well as hundreds of hours of BBC, ITV and RTE content.

Eircom is currently obtaining the temporary rights from TV stations' rights holders to switch the service on. The service is the first shot in Eircom's pursuit of becoming a ‘triple play’ operator, providing telephone, broadband and television over one phone line.

Shakespeare said that Eircom is following models used in other European countries.

“The proof is in Holland, Belgium, France and Britain,” he said. “At a certain point, exchange-based copper will become uncompetitive.”

Shakespeare said that Eircom will also provide a new home-fibre broadband service - with a speed of 24Mbs - to 100 apartments in Sandyford, most of which are social housing units. He said that the trial will be free for a year for the residents.

“Whereas before we took the view that broadband was purely demand led, we're now taking a punt on broadband in the future,” he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Yeah heard about that. Just wanted to get the info out about it being in Rathfarnham too.

Analysed here. Big improvement for VDSL below 1km, small improvement at 3km (approx. avearge line) and none at longest lines.

Of course have they ever done all of this 3 years later?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Hi,
    I'm also from inishowen. what exchange are u connected to? i use to have nwewn wireless broadband for 4 years. Got it out in November and got eircom broadband. I had to get eircom to take me off the carrier line and put me onto a direct line to exchange.

My exchange is Gleneely. Eircom won't upgrade it, refer me to the NBS. Gleneely is not included on that either.

Sounds like you have the broadband in, can I come round to your house? :D

• Advertisement

My exchange is Gleneely. Eircom won't upgrade it, refer me to the NBS. Gleneely is not included on that either.

Sounds like you have the broadband in, can I come round to your house? :D

Is that wireless broadband. I had nwewn wireless for a good few years. glad I got it out. it was expensive and the speeds were crap. it took me a while to get eircom to take me off a carrier line. I had to go to a man into letterkenny and got him to talk to eircom guys to do it. U at college ?

Sure you try it out ?

Advertisement