Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repainting a newly replastered house

• 20-12-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey.

I recently had my house completely replastered with new plasterboard and then all that re-skimmed. I had to do that because of all of the layers or paint, that couldnt be evened out and repainted. I tried sanding it, using paint removers on the wall, etc. etc. I have to repaint the house now, and am anxious about the same happening again, (even over a period of years after several repaints).

Anyone know what sort of undercoat should I use, what sort of main coat then. I kinda want to stay away from gloss, as that seemed to be the type of paint I had most trouble with before I had the house re plastered.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Howdy Oxygen. I'm no professional but i've done this job myself a fair few times and will offer you my advice in that context:

1. Sand the plastered surfaces lightly to remove any lumps and bumps

2. Lay out dust sheets, mask off areas that need to be protected. Take your time doing this right.

3. Get regular white trade emulsion and thin it down with water to a 50:50 consistency. Using a roller, apply the mix to the walls and ceilings. This is to seal the surface. Be careful as it can be very messy.

4. Sand it all lightly again to meke sure any other lumps and bumps are gone

5. Apply your colour coats then. Mid-sheen emulsion is good for high traffic areas as it is washable. Matt emulsion might work in other areas depending on your taste. Take it from me, you are kidding yourself if you don't apply two coats of your colour. It really makes a difference when you do it properly like that. Also, you should alternate the direction in which you are applying each coat to get a better coverage.

6. Tidy up and crack open a beer !

Advertisement