Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Formation

• 20-12-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Just before we go any further I thought we'd suss this out

Formation? 58 votes

4-4-2
    0% 0 votes
    4-4-1-1
    55% 32 votes
    4-5-1
    8% 5 votes
    4-1-4-1
    1% 1 vote
    4-3-3
    3% 2 votes
    4-1-2-2-1
    13% 8 votes
    3-5-2
    10% 6 votes
    5-3-2
    0% 0 votes
    4-2-4
    0% 0 votes
    other
    6% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

4-5-1/4-3-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

poll added, variations etc. I voted for 4-1-2-2-1 like this

***************X****************
    X*********X************X*********X
    ***************X******************
    *********X************X***********
    X********************************X
    ***************X******************

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No 4-2-3-1 despite Liverpool and United both playing that system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

4-2-3-1/4-5-1/4-3-3 are in many ways the same formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sure Barca and Liverpool play the same way then do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Where's 4 - 1 - 3 - 2?

Best formation imo :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Easiest to differentiate between positions imo. One vote for DCM and another for ACM. All the other positions are straightforward enough then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

4-2-3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PHB wrote: »

Well yes. A destroyer,(Toure, Mascherano) a passer(Xavi, Aquilani?, Alonso) and attacking midfielder (iniesta, Gerrard)in the middle.
    A central striker (Torres, Ibra, Eto'o) and 2 supporting wide players (Messi, Henry, Kuyt, whoever else Liverpool stick in there.)

Formation is effectively the same, style is what is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Pro. F wrote: »
    Easiest to differentiate between positions imo. One vote for DCM and another for ACM. All the other positions are straightforward enough then.

The only problem there is choosing between Torres and Drogba for the lone striker :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »

Player selection and tactics are more telling than supposed formation tbh

curry-muff wrote: »
    The only problem there is choosing between Torres and Drogba for the lone striker :pac::pac:

what are ya talkin about? Kenwyn Jones is a shoe in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

plain 4-1-2-1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

4-4-2 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ok, ive changed my choice, drogba and torres have to be in the team but rooney has scored the most goals in the PL in 2009 than any other player so i think hr should be in the team.... so this is the team i think it should be

X
    X X X X

fletcher essien giggs

drogba torres rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

4-4-2 for me, and put those central attacking players that can't really be considered for CM or ST (i.e. Gerrard, J.Cole) in the running for the wide positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If it's 4-4-2 I would be in favour of one LM, one RM and two CM's (regardless of whether they're AM or DM, although I'd probably vote for one of each)

What people seem to be forgetting is that it is the team of the year and just because X is an outstanding player and you don't think he should left out, doesn't mean that we shoulf for example put Gerrard in the RM poll at the expense of players that have played there all season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Voted 4-3-3. 4-4-2 isn't very common at the top levels anymore.
    mink_man wrote: »
    ok, ive changed my choice, drogba and torres have to be in the team but rooney has scored the most goals in the PL in 2009 than any other player so i think hr should be in the team.... so this is the team i think it should be

X
    X X X X

fletcher essien giggs

drogba torres rooney
    Just a note on the relative attacking records of the 4 most prolific teams in the league in 2009:

Arsenal: played 35, scored 79, gpg 2.26
    Liverpool: played 36, scored 76, gpg 2.11
    Man United: played 38, scored 76, gpg 2.00
    Chelsea: played 37, scored 71, gpg 1.92

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't see what Torres has done to make him a dead cert for the team of the year. Also, Aaron Lennon has that wide position sewn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I would have said 3-4-3 but there is no option for that so I didn't vote at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

4-4-****ing-2

Kold wrote: »
    I don't see what Torres has done to make him a dead cert for the team of the year
    Nor do I, but I think he has scored 2 more league goals in 2009 than Drogba. No idea how many games they've each played.
    Also, Aaron Lennon has that wide position sewn up.
    The team being selected as a 4-4-2 will certainly benefit him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kold wrote: »
    I don't see what Torres has done to make him a dead cert for the team of the year.
    He plays for Liverpool, he'll be in the team

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Voted 4-3-3. 4-4-2 isn't very common at the top levels anymore.

yes, but from a fantasy football point of view 4-4-2 makes a lot more sense. the ST is generally the best / highest profile player in a team. Think Rooney for United, Drogba, Anelka for Chelsea, Torres for Pool, RVP for Arsenal, Defoe for Spurs etc. So if you pick 4-3-3 what generally happens is you see people picking central players for the wide positions, which then excludes the likes of Ashley Young, Arshavin, Lennon etc. from consideration so you end up with a best players list (which is boring imo). 4-4-2 is the best compromise imo even if it's tactically outdated.

Btw, it might make sense to select the players as follows

ST---ST
    AM(wide)-AM(central)
    ----CM
    CM----

so one vote for the best wide forward /winger and one for the best central attacking mid, a kind of compromise between the 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nor do I, but I think he has scored 2 more league goals in 2009 than Drogba. No idea how many games they've each played.

The team being selected as a 4-4-2 will certainly benefit him.

but Rooney's scored more than both of them ;)

EDIT: just a thought but will Ronaldo and Alonso be included?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'm fairly sure that one of the commentators said at the weekend that rooney has the most goals in the premiership in 2009. Does that make him a certainty?

Problem with 4-4-2 is you end up with players like Iniesta and Xavi competing for the same spot when in reality they'd be in together. In the case of a PL team where is Gerrard going to go? Will he a striker or a CM? Will Arshavin be put as a striker or a left winger?

I think the players who play in a 4-4-2 (which isn't that common now anyway) can generally fit into a 4-3-3 more easily than the other way around. The main losers would be small central strikers like Defoe, but I think it'd suit more than it hindered.

Liam O wrote: »
    but Rooney's scored more than both of them ;)

EDIT: just a thought but will Ronaldo and Alonso be included?
    I'm aware. I don't think Ronaldo or Alonso should be included for half a year's work, but that's just me.
    I'm fairly sure that one of the commentators said at the weekend that rooney has the most goals in the premiership in 2009. Does that make him a certainty?
    For me yes, and I'm sure Man United fans would agree. Goals obviously aren't the only factor, but Rooney has the rest too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Very suprised the christmas tree formation wasnt put in. ie 4-3-2-1

• Advertisement

Problem with 4-4-2 is you end up with players like Iniesta and Xavi competing for the same spot when in reality they'd be in together. In the case of a PL team where is Gerrard going to go? Will he a striker or a CM? Will Arshavin be put as a striker or a left winger?

I think the players who play in a 4-4-2 (which isn't that common now anyway) can generally fit into a 4-3-3 more easily than the other way around. The main losers would be small central strikers like Defoe, but I think it'd suit more than it hindered.

Well that's why I proposed the compromise above. Xavi sits further than Iniesta in a team so you could vote Iniesta as AMC and Xavi as the CM.

Btw, I personally believe Arshavin plays best as a support striker so I'd have no problem putting him up for the ST position, although this year his main contributions have been from the AML position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

4-4-2

Advertisement