Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dog breed for our young children

• 20-12-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am looking for a dog which would be best suited to our family. I have three very young children 5, 3 and 17 months. I would like a dog that could become a great pal for our 5 year old boy. There is somebody at home most of the time so he/she won't get lonely. We also have a large garden to play in. Could you suggest a breed that might suit us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

JJRAP wrote: »
    I am looking for a dog which would be best suited to our family. I have three very young children 5, 3 and 17 months. I would like a dog that could become a great pal for our 5 year old boy. There is somebody at home most of the time so he/she won't get lonely. We also have a large garden to play in. Could you suggest a breed that might suit us.

Golden Retriever we have had one since my nephew was born and she guards him like a hawk she is quite docile too he hits and drives his little cars all over her back and she still just stands there the worst she will do is like him:p

But you could have put this in an animal section too so post reported to be moved to appropriate section

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 berri_satine

I would say it really depends on the dog. Some breeds are known to be good with children e.g labradors, staffies but it really is down to a dog's individual personality. Labs and golden retrievers are often recommended for a family, but you may find they could be too big and boisterous for young children. I would look around and see which dog suits you best instead of focusing on just one breed.

What I would say is, that you should consider your local animal rescue or dog pound. They have both purebred and mixed breed puppies and dogs and there are so many of them looking for a home at this time of year.

Im my opinion mixed breeds are the best :D;) I got a terrier mix when I was two years old and had her until I was 19. She was the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All depends on the dog and it's temprement you can get really nippy poms and a really licky rottie.

Only downside with labs and gold. ret. is that they can knock small kids down and can chew stuff like mad esp. when pups.

As suggested might be a good idea to contact a rescue to see if they can match you with a dog to suit.

Just ensure that with 3 small children you have the time and energy for a pup or dog, time for training etc. as well as poop patrol etc.

It'll be like having another toddler in the house but one you can't put nappies on lol.

If there are any particular breeds you are interested in have a good read up about them and also what to look out for the dos and don't of buying a dog and buying vs rescue.

Very small dogs can get hurt by small kids, large dogs can knock kids over, medium sized dogs might suit better but again it all depends on the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

If I was getting a dog for 3 young kiddies, I'd go for a medium sized one, probably a mixed breed rescue, and maybe not a young puppy, 6 months or older, at least the pup will be a little hardier. The reasons for this is, a young pup can be hurt by a 5 year old, not fair on the pup. Mixed breeds are usually fantastic dogs, I was reared with them all my life, 12 kids in my family and we never had a problem with any of our dogs, mostly lab/shepherd mix and usually bitches when we were young. My parents reckoned bitches were more gentle with kids. Rescues also tend to be more loving because they've been through a bad patch. I've got a rescued Shepherd/Doberman called Molly (12 yr old now) a 7 yr old male Doberman and a 7 month old Rotterwieller called Ella, We rescued Molly when she was 2 yrs old and she's the most loving but protective dog, really friendly and gentle with kids and because she's big she can easily take the rough and tumble that kids dish out, unlike a smaller more fragile dog like a Pomm or a Bischon which can be easily hurt by a playful kiddie. Best of luck and many happy years with your new family member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

happy to help find you a dog please look at www.dogsindistress.org all of our dogs are in foster care families so we know exactly what they are like in the home and with children:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭smilerf

not a westie.
    they are lovely dogs but can play rough and are stubborn
    they need a stern voice sometimes and my fella anyway he aint good with others dogs
    your 17 yr old be grand but the kids might annoy him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would recommend a staffie, they love people and people who'll play with them, such as children. However they are quite strong, so the child will be unable to walk the dog, even with you supervising - there are legal requirements in terms of who can walk the dog. A smaller dog is less likely to run into your child and knock him on his bum (though kids love that), but smaller dogs, fox-terrier types in particular can be quite nippy when playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

Evolute wrote: »
    Golden Retriever we have had one since my nephew was born and she guards him like a hawk she is quite docile too he hits and drives his little cars all over her back and she still just stands there the worst she will do is like him:p
    [...]

yep, that or a labrador retriever i’d say...almost the same with short hair and thus less fuss, dirt and stink when wet. we had one (black bitch) for over 12 years back home many years ago, very nice dog, friendly and docile…perfect for kids…
    funny anecdote: we had to board her once for a few days with a family with a small baby…the first thing she did, after eating their dog’s food, was to start guarding the baby’s crib like her own, sleeping right by it and all…
    and with a large garden pretty much the perfect family dog in my opinion…also a “real” dog with the size and bark to deter the occasional amateur would-be burglar…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Golden Retrievers are fantastic family dogs. They become utterly devoted to kiddies! A retriever that was in our family was sitting out the front and one of the girls crawled out towards the main road, when her mam dozed off. The dog started to bark and took hold of the kiddies nappy! Amazing stuff.

Also another retriever had 3 toddlers try everything from putting make up on the poor animal to pulling his tail! And never even a growl! Perfect temperament.

Despite the slide show...IMO I wouldn't have a pit bull anywhere near kids. But in saying that animals are like people, some are just nasty despite having the breeding and upbringing that would suggest otherwise. So it all depends on the individual dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

I would recommend a Staffie, I've had them all my life and never had an ounce of trouble with them despite all the bad press they get. A dog is just a reflection of its owner I reckon. We got our first when my sister was three and they were like best pals. If she was in the back yard and he was in the way she would would pull him by the tail and he never reacted. She would put hats and lipstick on him and he would sit there loving it. Great temperament. The smaller the dog, the snappier they tend to be - so no to Yorkies or Jack Russells etc. I would say with all dogs and small kids, just keep your eye on them, no matter what the breed.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Golden Retrievers are fantastic family dogs. They become utterly devoted to kiddies! A retriever that was in our family was sitting out the front and one of the girls crawled out towards the main road, when her mam dozed off. The dog started to bark and took hold of the kiddies nappy! Amazing stuff.

Also another retriever had 3 toddlers try everything from putting make up on the poor animal to pulling his tail! And never even a growl! Perfect temperament.

Despite the slide show...IMO I wouldn't have a pit bull anywhere near kids. But in saying that animals are like people, some are just nasty despite having the breeding and upbringing that would suggest otherwise. So it all depends on the individual dog.

totally agree, hands off any attack dog breeds like pitbulls and others!!!
    and if you get a golden retriever make sure it's from a good breeder...there have been reports of golden retrievers being badly bred (inbread?) by rogue breeders without proper selection and all to make a quick buck on the great popularity and demand of these dogs, and i have heard and read these dogs in some cases lack the intelligence and good characteristics golden and labrador retrievers are generally known for...might be a good idea to do some research before actually buying one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

basset hound...theyre awkward as in they fall all the time but great with kids and love wrestling around...and will be like a shadow for your son..can be very protective of kids too...a basset will give you a good laugh everyday...ours does and i mean everyday
    +1 on westie..my mother has one and he's a grumpy little fecker...not for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I’d go along with a lot of the opinions here. Golden Retrievers, Labs and I’d add in some Spaniels to that list. I think that any breed that has traditionally been used as a “working” dog are good candidates for family pet.

I have two sons, an 8 year old and an 9 month old, and we have an 8 month old Springer mix. She’s mad in the head, but gentle as a lamb with the boys. I went with her because I know the breed very well and apart from being overly energetic, they are great family pets. I have my 8 year old playing fetch nearly every evening, burns off the energy of both child and dog! Not to mention the baby finds the whole thing very funny.

But it has been said already that each Dog is an individual. Some have better temperaments than others. So a little more research wouldn’t go astray. Perhaps if you could find someone locally with the breed that you like and maybe spend some time with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Tony H

I would also recommend a Golden Retriever but I would only buy one off a member of the all ireland golden retriever club , have a look at this link
    http://www.aigrc.com/Buying,%20Rehoming%20&%20Rescue.htm

If you do go for a Golden Retriever be prepared for a lot of work and loss of sleep for the first 3 or 4 months .But if you put in the work in the early months with a puppy you will be rewarded with a well balanced and loving dog .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

hey OP - you could have a look at this article to help
    I often receive questions about breeds that will do well living in homes with children. These questions are difficult to answer because there is not one single breed where I can say each and every dog will be child friendly. However there are many breeds that generally *are* great with children! Here is a list of 10 breeds of all shapes and sizes that do well in growing families.

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/05/the-best-family-dogs-10-breeds-for-homes-with-children/

Paul91 wrote: »

ah yes, bernese mountain dogs and newfoundlands...two more great breeds long famous for being good family dogs. of course, long hair is always more work, nice as it may look, and these two are huge too…i remember we considered them as well back then before we finally went for the labrador bitch…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

suziwalsh wrote: »
    happy to help find you a dog please look at www.dogsindistress.org all of our dogs are in foster care families so we know exactly what they are like in the home and with children:D

I would agree, you cannot get a better pet then a stray/rescued dog. Fiercly loyal, safe, trained and well behaved. Very protective of the family and property. Had my first pedigree after a life of having strays recently and it was a disaster, and friends pedigrees also, more like spoilt kids than pets!

ah yes, bernese mountain dogs and newfoundlands...two more great breeds long famous for being good family dogs. of course, long hair is always more work, nice as it may look, and these two are huge too…i remember we considered them as well back then before we finally went for the labrador bitch…

funnily enough i got three german shep/newfoundland crosses at the moment, keeping the big fella (37lbs at 13 weeks ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

CAIRN TERRIERS
    Cairn terriers are a wonderful breed and very suitable for young children. Having had a variety of dogs through the years, I have to say that the Cairn is absolutely the best breed I have ever come across for their friendly and hardy disposition - so loving yet independent, so lively yet calm. They are simply the best

• Advertisement

ALFIET wrote: »
    CAIRN TERRIERS

Cairn terriers are a wonderful breed and very suitable for young children. Having had a variety of dogs through the years, I have to say that the Cairn is absolutely the best breed I have ever come across for their friendly and hardy disposition - so loving yet independent, so lively yet calm. They are simply the best

not too sure on that - we got my other half's 16 year old family Cairn with us because 2 years ago the other sister had to move home with her child, the Cairn was snapping at him - this may have been down to her age, 14 at the time, but she has always been snappy apparantly - again down to the individual dog

i was brought up with a Border Terrier, she was born the same date as me, only a year later (i'm 1974 she was 1975) loved her to bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Personally I would wait until your youngest is a bit older, say 4ish. Taking on and training a dog takes alot of time and effort. This way you get to properly research breeds and your children will all be old enough to get involved when the dog arrives.

If you're hell bent on getting a dog right now then I'd go with a greyhound. Great dogs with children, very placid, don't need as much exercise as you think. Myself and my siblings were reared with these dogs. They come already lead trained and are great in the car. Have a chat to Mary Jane, they make fantastic family pets. http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

i would have to say a little french bulldog,they mainly live in the house,we have 1 of them and hes great with our 6,4 and 2ear old,loves children,they need plenty of attention but are well worth it in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I would highly recommend a bichon frise, they are a fantastic dog, great company and really good with children. We were lucky enough to get one from Ashtown Pound last year - never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 berri_satine

I just wanted to add another benefit of mixed breed pets. They are usually much sturdier then pure breds if you get me. Less health problems, so less expense.

Many purebreds have genetic defects leaving them prone to certain medical conditions. Mixed breed dogs are much less likely to have these.

An older dog would definitely be better for your family. With children as young as yours, many families find it difficult having a young pup to train aswell.

Also, Id like to stress again the rescue option. The people at the rescue or pound will be able to give you a good idea of the temperment of the dog and whether it would suit a family with children.

They really are the most loving dogs I have two at the moment and wouldnt be without them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

I just wanted to add another benefit of mixed breed pets. They are usually much sturdier then pure breds if you get me. Less health problems, so less expense.

Many purebreds have genetic defects leaving them prone to certain medical conditions. Mixed breed dogs are much less likely to have these.

An older dog would definitely be better for your family. With children as young as yours, many families find it difficult having a young pup to train aswell.

Also, Id like to stress again the rescue option. The people at the rescue or pound will be able to give you a good idea of the temperment of the dog and whether it would suit a family with children.

They really are the most loving dogs I have two at the moment and wouldnt be without them!

+ 100 :D

Although personally I wouldnt get a terrier/terrier mix as they can be a bit snappy and get jealous very quick unless you get one that has been used to kids. Im just thinking back to when we were young - all our dogs were mixed - found collies to be very good and gentle. Have a lab/red setter mix at the moment = very intelligent and gentle! I would def recommend getting a rescue as you will be able to bring the whole family along to interact with the dogs and see how your kids get along with them.

As someone else said it will be like a "fourth" child so make sure your sure but Im sure your aware of that :D

funnily enough i got three german shep/newfoundland crosses at the moment, keeping the big fella (37lbs at 13 weeks ;o)

Photos PLEASE, They sound gorgeous, I've never see a Shepherd, Newfoundland cross. Do your lads like water??? My Shepherd/Dobbie and my Rottie pup LOVE water. Newfoundlands are real water dogs, friend of mine has one and loves it, even a puddle is fair game to him, rolls on his back in it, as if to get as much water on him as possible. :D Post photos of your lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

As someone else said it will be like a "fourth" child so make sure your sure but Im sure your aware of that :D
    Aren't most pets?

Cats are almost like spoilt children, while dogs are like hyperactive ones! :D

gypsygirl wrote: »
    Photos PLEASE, They sound gorgeous, I've never see a Shepherd, Newfoundland cross. Do your lads like water??? My Shepherd/Dobbie and my Rottie pup LOVE water. Newfoundlands are real water dogs, friend of mine has one and loves it, even a puddle is fair game to him, rolls on his back in it, as if to get as much water on him as possible. :D Post photos of your lads.

they've only just had there last shots so not had chance to go to the beach yet - might be a wee bit cold at mo as well ;) my labboxer is i think more seal than dog, where i live we walk around the fields first then down along the "front" where the sea is, when it' warm enough i leave him off to swim along while i walk on the footpath - he'll go half an hour no bother (the only bother is getting him out again!)

the pics (don't do them justice)

hollie is at my mum in UK now - she was about 10 weeks in photos
    oscar is at friends from work also about 10 weeks in photos
    Tyson and Roxy the day we got her out the CSPCA - unknown to us 5 weeks pregnant at time of photo (only 68lbs in weight - she's 84lbs now)

• Advertisement

they've only just had there last shots so not had chance to go to the beach yet - might be a wee bit cold at mo as well ;) my labboxer is i think more seal than dog, where i live we walk around the fields first then down along the "front" where the sea is, when it' warm enough i leave him off to swim along while i walk on the footpath - he'll go half an hour no bother (the only bother is getting him out again!)

the pics (don't do them justice)

hollie is at my mum in UK now - she was about 10 weeks in photos
    oscar is at friends from work also about 10 weeks in photos
    Tyson and Roxy the day we got her out the CSPCA - unknown to us 5 weeks pregnant at time of photo (only 68lbs in weight - she's 84lbs now)

Absolute beauties, Hollie looks like she'll be a monster :D, and I love the Shepherd, is that Roxy? all of them are gorgeous, fair play to ya, lucky dogs to have you as their owner, they all look really healthy and well cared for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement