Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right clicking causing laptop to freeze

• 20-12-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

As I type this I'm just after right clicking on an icon on my desktop, when I put the cursor over the desktop it changes to the "doing stuff" cursor (the circle in Vista) and it's the normal arrow over my browser window.

My laptop has been doing this for a good while now. The solution is to press Esc a few times, a dialog box appears saving my explorer isn't responding and gives a couple of options such as close, restart etc.

stupiddialogbox.jpg

So you pick one (doesn't seem to make a difference which), then right click on the icon again and the usual right click menu will appear and I can delete, copy, paste or whatever.

This "freezing" also happens if I use the delete key, ctrl+c, ctrl+v or any other shortcuts like that.

Any ideas what could be causing it and how to fix it?

EDIT: added screenshot of dialog box

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

This might be caused by a bad context menu handler. A context menu handler is a shell extension handler that adds commands to an existing context menu (Example: cut, copy, paste, send to, Scan with Avg etc).

Below is a method google through up that should help. Good luck.

Download ShellExView and run it.

It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions. Once the scan is over and the list is displayed, you need to spot the context menu handlers. Sort the results using "Type", so that the context menu handlers are displayed together.

General rule here is to disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers *one-by-one* and verify if the problem is solved. If disabling one does not solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft handler. Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the culprit. Scroll right to see the Company Name column in ShellExView..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Thanks for that, I think it's working alright now. The one that was causing the problem was "TODO" or something like that, I can check when I'm on the laptop later.

Advertisement