Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue ropes in Atlantic Homecare-how strong?

• 20-12-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how strong are the biggest blue ropes in atlantic homecare?-they are about 1 cm thick..any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

baaaa wrote: »
    Does anyone know how strong are the biggest blue ropes in atlantic homecare?-they are about 1 cm thick..any thoughts appreciated.

I haven't seen the blue ropes in Atlantic. The blue ropes I have seen are all nylon and not as strong as ropes used in sailing and climbing. A 1cm diameter nylon rope would take your weight, but probably would snap if you tried to tow a car - it all depends what you want it for :confused:
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

we could give better idea if we knew what you needed it.

10mm is quite small and i would trust it for much. i would double it up to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those are polypropylene and not great quality. In all likelyhood probably made in India.
    Good quality 10mm PP rope is around 1300kg tensile strength, but SWL is much lower, divide the minimum tensile strength by a factor of 5-12 for non-critical lifts in other words if the rope parts whatever it is holding doesn't matter too much.
    For lifelines where humans are being supported the factor is 15.
    in other words that rope should only be used to lift 260kg assuming that the tensile strength is around 1300kg
    A commercial chandlery is a better place to buy ropes of most kinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its a little early in the festive season to be looking for rope ;)

That being said its an impossible question to answer, its kinda like asking what size engine do red cars have. Quality varies due to material used and fabrication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

It's for my weight (13st) and is the polypropylene rope mentioned.
    Might try the chandlery.Anybody have any clue how much 15ft of rope as thick as your arm would cost?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Are you making a hammock or a swing or something else?
    15ft should only be a few quid for PP rope, go up to Nylon or Polyester and you will pay a little more but you can get stronger rope for the same diameter.
    Nylon has a lot of stretch in it though if that is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Someone is looking for rope to support their weight? I think its intervention, not advice that you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Climbing rope or Dyneema rope as used on yachts is what you want. Plenty available on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

they are quite strong, however red rope tends to be stronger.

It's for exercise,50mm is the ideal size wise however all atlantic have is about 10mm.
    Can get it on ebay alright but only from uk from what I can see.

• Advertisement

It's for exercise,50mm is the ideal size wise however all atlantic have is about 10mm.
    Can get it on ebay alright but only from uk from what I can see.

If it is for climbing - indoors just fo exercise - then I think you should be looking for 2" hemp or manila rope, not synthetic.

http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/2inch_climbing_rope.html

Actually, thinking about it, there is a dead easy way to turn a 10mm (even synthetic) rope into a much thicker one that is very 3D allowing fantastic hand grip. You can chain sinnet or crown sinnet a thiner rope:

Just be aware that you need a 'lot' of thinner rope to make a thicker one this way.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexdecorative.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

cnocbui wrote: »
    If it is for climbing - indoors just fo exercise - then I think you should be looking for 2" hemp or manila rope, not synthetic.

http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/2inch_climbing_rope.html

Actually, thinking about it, there is a dead easy way to turn a 10mm (even synthetic) rope into a much thicker one that is very 3D allowing fantastic hand grip. You can chain sinnet or crown sinnet a thiner rope:

Just be aware that you need a 'lot' of thinner rope to make a thicker one this way.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexdecorative.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
    It's not for climbing as such,my hands will be fixed in the one spot.
    The manilla is what I was looking at alright,way out of my price though.
    That crown sinnet looks better though,have you used it before ?-any idea's how it affects the ropes strength?

It's not for climbing as such,my hands will be fixed in the one spot.
    The manilla is what I was looking at alright,way out of my price though.
    That crown sinnet looks better though,have you used it before ?-any idea's how it affects the ropes strength?

I haven't used a crown sinnet but I do use a chain sinnet as a way of storing ropes so they don't tangle when you undo them, which is what happens if they are just coiled. I have also used a chain sinnet for bulking out an 8mm rope for improved grip and it was very good and strength was't a problem as it was 8mm climbing rope.

The strength would be a bit less than a straight length of rope, but I don't think the strength of any rope is going to be a problem for anytjing that is 8mm or greater in diameter.

Advertisement