Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Apparel

• 20-12-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

So what do people think of the store so far? Does anyone know how well this it's doing? Any time I have a quick browse in the place it always seems to be empty. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their sales are way below projections. Even though the clothes are a bit crazy and not really my style it'd still be a shame to see the place go...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

I really love it, their style is similar to my own.

I don't think alot of people know about it still, because it's not in the shopping end of Grafton St its at a bit of a disadvantage.

Any Saturday I've been in there it's been very busy, but yeah weekdays seem quiet enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Funny this thread came up, I went in yday for the first time and was like wtf??? I don't get it? Is it like just bits of fabric designed for only the skinniest/non-lumpiest person to drape around themselves? And the prices....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LickLickLick

Funny this thread came up, I went in yday for the first time and was like wtf??? I don't get it? Is it like just bits of fabric designed for only the skinniest/non-lumpiest person to drape around themselves? And the prices....

Agree,no curvy girls allowed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Agree,no curvy girls allowed!

Lumps aren't curves. I think their style is pretty good, I like their hoodies especially. It's expensive for what it is because it's produced in America, not by Vietnamese children. The same people who decry sweatshops etc buy from Pennys and call AA expensive imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I like American Apparel tbh. I think it's good for picking up basics, plain cottons and hoodies etc. They may be on the pricey side but you get what you pay for, the quality is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I don't like their stuff too much. It just seems kinda odd. I just don't see how most of it fits people.

I bought two pairs of leggins for under my uniform and it came to €44 :eek: I mean, €44 for leggins! I understand they're not made in 3rd world countries, but seriously. Even fairtrade clothes don't cost that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I guess the corporations have to make their profits regardless of how much they pay their workers...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I don't like their stuff too much. It just seems kinda odd. I just don't see how most of it fits people.

I bought two pairs of leggins for under my uniform and it came to €44 :eek: I mean, €44 for leggins! I understand they're not made in 3rd world countries, but seriously. Even fairtrade clothes don't cost that much.

22 each, not bad, Topshop's are 18 each for the plain black ones.

I love their body-con dresses, they fit me really well. I have a couple of the batwing jumpers too, great for layering up on these cold days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

The neon colours hurt my eyes in there.
    I got a pair of (yellow) tights in there for my halloween costume and they were the comfiest pair I have ever worn, so will be going back for a few more normal colours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

My American Apparel hoody is the most comfortable thing I own. Very forgiving to hangovers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Where exactly is AA in Dublin?
    I first visited it in USA Washington and only bought thigh high socks and bra top and girl shorts set.
    I did try on some of the crazy styles but it didnt fit me right, im petite.
    It seem to be designed for tall straight shapes.
    Its pricey but I have seen some nice stuff online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

AA is a company I have very mixed feelings about. I really want to love their stuff, but I don't. Quality is all over the place. I've had some things fall apart after washing, but other things last for ages. Sometimes the seams aren't even finished properly. And the sizing is random. So if you buy something and it fits, don't assume you can buy the same thing in another color one year later and it will fit the same. Make sure to try on everything every time. It's true they pay their employees a "living wage," but the company is not without scandal. There have been some reports in the news about union busting and that kind of thing. Their CEO is a very...um..interesting guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Ah yeah I like AA, kinda. Been getting clothes there since I was young, my Mother has always bought t-shirts there. The clothes fit me well. Quality is good. Crazy prices though, I agree. I've only ever bought stuff from the stores in America. Never been to the one in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Tuffy-McPuggles on eBay used to sell American Apparel stuff for next to nothing, great postage too.

**edit: ah, seems AA caught up with them. They still have some stuff but nowhere near as much. Used to get it all there, as it was the same gear but they were selling it as more or less what it was costing them. AA seem to have stopped them selling blank gear, which is a pity- as I think AA are the only spot to get good lasting plain hoodies.

Advertisement