Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity wall insulation/cold bridge

• 20-12-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Am interested in getting this done to the house. i asked a neighbour if he'd be interested too, he mentioned he'd be afraid of it causing a cold bridge.

Surely over the last 30 years it'd been a worry and it would have come up before?

does it?

ta much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

tampopo wrote: »
    Am interested in getting this done to the house. i asked a neighbour if he'd be interested too, he mentioned he'd be afraid of it causing a cold bridge.

Surely over the last 30 years it'd been a worry and it would have come up before?

does it?

ta much
    Cold bridge? If its cavity fill your talking about, I can't see how this causes a cold bridge. It wont conduct cold from external surface to internal surface.
    Theres the possibility of damp related issues in specific situations but not 'cold bridging'.
    Thats my non-professional understanding of it anyways. I'm sure others will come along and clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Cavity fill blow-in insulation won't cause a "cold brodge".
    Eurorunner is correct in saying "Theres the possibility of damp related issues in specific situations but not 'cold bridging'."

It would help if both neighbours in both semi-detached houses got it done together - you might get a discount from the installer. But if you want to insulate your own house then do so, you don't need your neighbour.

Do your homework on blow-in cavity fill. There are threads on boards, google lots of UK examples / experiences etc.

There is a Government Grant.

Advertisement