Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underwater Digital Camera

• 20-12-2009 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Anyone know where i can get one? In Dublin like.

I don't really care for a very fancy one, just a decent hand held digital one that i can use on holidays and for underwater shoots etc?

Or even just to buy a water proof case. I tried Dundrum today and there was nothing!
    Also what sort of price am I looking at?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

What about these;

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Get an underwater camera case, I ordered one from here:
    http://www.rockwaterair.co.uk/brand/aquapac/small-camera-case-414
    Although haven't tried it out yet! come in different sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

DP Review did a waterproof camera group test where the Canon d10 came out best. Gunns on Wexford Street - your side of the world if your were in Dundrum yesterday - definitely had them in stock a few weeks ago. I have an older model of the Pentax w60 and find it excellent. I don't think waterproof cases etc are the way forward because there are lots of waterproof options out there and the risk of soggy camera when the case fails is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Koushki

Hey thanks for the replies!
    I went into Conns today and they have really sweet small digital cameras, but theyre waterproof, and only 250!

thanks for the replies im going to look into it more if im going to invest in anything!

Thanks,
    merry crimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

maybe get a compact underwater film camera. nikon has a very good one for 100-150euro, tho you can get other good cameras for 30-50euro.

I wouldnt spend alot on something I wouldnt use too often. at least with a good underwater camera you have choice of film, the disposable cameras would have just ok film but cheap plastic lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey Anouska,
    I just got this fella Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Youtube review) for around €280. It's mainly for kayaking, so the waterproof/shockproofyness is needed. Might be a bit too much for what you need though. I wanted to do a lot of video, so the HD recording sold it for me. Got it posted over from Scotland.

Hope that's a bit of help,
    Kyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Keep an eye on eBay and Adverts for housings going cheap. They're a lot rarer than their matching cameras... so when you see a cheap housing that matches a decent camera... buy it, then have a look for the camera! A camera that is good in low light is a must if you're going deep, so control of iso and shutterspeed is a big advantage.

I got a Canon housing on Adverts for €40, was like new, then got the associated Canon a570is on eBay for €40 delivered. €80 for an underwater setup that's rated to 40m and has good user results (see below). I'll be uploading some shots from it in early January hopefully when I get it in the water.

TIP: To check out underwater photos for any camera, go to Flickr:
    1. Use Flickr's camera finder (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/brands/) to pick out the camera and you'll be shown a load of photos taken with that model. A simple flickr search will usually bring you to photos taken with it too, then click on the camera model on the bottom right of the photo page.
    2. Then search "underwater" (or "scuba" etc) within those photos to get a selection of underwater shots taken with it. Many will say in the description what housing they used, or just ask them.
    As someone above mentioned, the G9/G10/G11 range seem very good for this, powerful camera and very compact to house. DSLRs cost an absolute fortune to house. I always use second-hand cameras underwater... just in case it floods!!

Advertisement