Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local managers getting a rough deal in the EPL??

• 20-12-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Ok so its something that i have noticed over the past ten or fifteen years. Local managers in the EPL simply are not getting a chance at the highest level in england. Why is this?

As soon as a team gets super ambitious such as man city it is out with the local manager and in with the more glamorous foreign manager. Now i realise that mancini in this example has trophies etc but he was given a chance at a big club in italy. Mark hughes has never been given this chance. The likes of harry redknapp and martin o neill etc have never been given a chance at a top top club either...

Are foreign managers just better than their british counterparts? I think my main point here is that we can never really know how they would compete as they are not being given a fair crack of the whip. Or am i wrong? Take Pep Gaurdiola for example, prior to his appointment who wouldve thought he would be manager of barca?? He had no credentials as such at this level of management and was given the opportunity anyway.Are foreign clubs just more trusting of newer talent? Are these leagues not suffering from the same demand of instant success as the EPL? What is it?

*rant over*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I doubt Hughes would regard himself as local considering he is in fact Welsh

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, United, Arsenal and Liverpool haven't changed their manager any time recently so ask Chelsea...

Anyway, I don't see any English managers who've done well enough to be given a crack at one of the top 4. There are big clubs outside England, why don't they go abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Local unproven managers should get the chance to manage some of the best teams in the worlds best league? No. They have to earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well, United, Arsenal and Liverpool haven't changed their manager any time recently so ask Chelsea...

Anyway, I don't see any English managers who've done well enough to be given a crack at one of the top 4. There are big clubs outside England, why don't they go abroad?

Roy Hodgson, excellent manager imo, doing a great great job with Fulham and has done well abroad.

Suppose Steve McClaren is doing well in Holland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Top managers by in large work in different countries throughout their careers, getting different perspectives. Fergie is pretty much the most successful manager out there who hasn't worked in different leagues (bar scotland which is similar).

If Moyes, O'Neill or somebody really wants a top 4 job, they either need to break into the top 4 themselves [which Moyes has done which is why he's got a real shot at the United job], or go abroad and win something. They don't seem to realise this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

A lot of analysts outside the english game would blame this on the 'english mentality', or rather their traditional approach to the game.

In short, because for a long time the main emphasis in the English game was physicality and work rate, that those individuals who went through the english system are ill prepared for management because they haven't the same background in technique, tactics and organisation as continentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

mormank wrote: »
    Are foreign managers just better than their british counterparts?

nail-on-head.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I doubt Hughes would regard himself as local considering he is in fact Welsh

He's from Wrexham. Guess what league they play in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

He's from Wrexham. Guess what league they play in?

And?

The reason Wrexham play in the Football League in England is because Wales didn't have an established league when these clubs were formed, the same with Cardiff and Swansea.

I doubt the local supporters of these clubs class themselves as English though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

And?

The reason Wrexham play in the Football League in England is because Wales didn't have an established league when these clubs were formed, the same with Cardiff and Swansea.

I doubt the local supporters of these clubs class themselves as English though.

And? To the league he is (was) managing in he's not foreign. I never called him English.

The top Welsh clubs play in the English league system, so you can't call the top Welsh managers who are managing in said league system foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I don't know why Irish people should be bothered whether foreign leagues have managers from their own nation or not. I don't care how many managers in the Japanese league aren't Japanese, and I don't see why I should care about the nationality of managers in the English league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

CHD wrote: »
    Local unproven managers should get the chance to manage some of the best teams in the worlds best league? No. They have to earn it.

ok so would you like to explain to me what exactly pep gaurdiola did to earn his chance at Barca?? he walked straight into that job after training the reserve team??

im sure there are umpteen examples fom the italian league also of this type of thing. however we never see it in the english league. granted there hasnt been many manager changes of the top 4 sides in recent years(bar chelski of course) so its hard to judge but just going through the rafa thread almost all the replacements widely accepted are foreign.

oh and to all the smart arses out there, i used the term local managers instead of english to encompass all british managers. im sorry if i didnt make that clear enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

yes but how do you know that soemone is good enough if they have never been given a shot before?

also i think you will find that if all four top 4 sides got british managers one of them would win the league! giving them the necessary CV required to be deemed a good manager..bit of a catch 22 situation really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Ok so its something that i have noticed over the past ten or fifteen years. Local managers in the EPL simply are not getting a chance at the highest level in england. Why is this?

As soon as a team gets super ambitious such as man city it is out with the local manager and in with the more glamorous foreign manager. Now i realise that mancini in this example has trophies etc but he was given a chance at a big club in italy. Mark hughes has never been given this chance. The likes of harry redknapp and martin o neill etc have never been given a chance at a top top club either...

Are foreign managers just better than their british counterparts? I think my main point here is that we can never really know how they would compete as they are not being given a fair crack of the whip. Or am i wrong? Take Pep Gaurdiola for example, prior to his appointment who wouldve thought he would be manager of barca?? He had no credentials as such at this level of management and was given the opportunity anyway.Are foreign clubs just more trusting of newer talent? Are these leagues not suffering from the same demand of instant success as the EPL? What is it?

*rant over*

well he wasnt just given the job at inter, he was given a job at fiorentina, where he won the cup. after this he got the lazio managers job and won the cup there too. he had proven himself and was then given the Inter job where he did quite well

the pep guardiola thing is different, as they decided he fitted with the barca philosphy, in style of coaching and playing.

and local managers have been given jobs at smaller clubs, but not at the big ones, but then again, how often do they come up?

what local managers do you think should have been considered for the big jobs?

David Moyes, Martin O Neill or Harry Redknapp. off the top of my head. Harry has an Fa Cup to his name. MON's teams have always progressed in fairness and seem to struggle after he has gone. David Moyes has proven himself also to be fair.

Also i think the gap between the top 4 in england and the other 16 teams is greater than in italy and spain, illustrated by the number of spanish and italian teams to represent their countries in the champions league in the past ten years compared to englands 4. 5 if you include evertons qualifying game against villareal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

ziggy wrote: »

absolutely and tony adams is obviously going to be the next arsenal manager..........
    :P

in all seriousness though i'd imagine one of the current set up would step up when wenger decides to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

David Moyes, Martin O Neill or Harry Redknapp. off the top of my head. Harry has an Fa Cup to his name. MON's teams have always progressed in fairness and seem to struggle after he has gone. David Moyes has proven himself also to be fair.

you think they should have been considered for the City job?

they havent really won much. redknapp has 1 cup and i dont know if moyes has anything. MON has 2 league cups in a top league.

city obviously wanted a big name as well, one who could attract the best players from around the world.
    none of those three would be able to do that, same with Chelsea

well perhaps they should have been considered yes. but what you said is correct, about city wanting a hollywood type manager. they already had one of the most promising young british coaches in hughes. i think we can all agree that he was on borrowed time from the moment the new owners came along, regardless of what is publicly stated.

also i think the british players mentality of staying in britain crosses over to managers. for whatever reason we very rarely see british players or managers leave the british isles. foreign players/managers are far more accustomed to leaving there own familiar surroundings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

CHD wrote: »

Pep-Guardiola-celebrates--001.jpg
    :pac:

Advertisement