Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new build

Options
  • 20-12-2009 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Okay so I'm building a new machine that I want to use for gaming. and web design (photo shop ec). The games I'll mostly be playing are the new COD, some sports games etc. so nothing major. I don't know alot about PSUs or graphics cards so I need some advice. Also would the AMD chip be okay as opposed to i5 or i7? Here is what I'm looking to get from Komplett:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Big Tower Black - €119.00
    PSU: Corsair TX 650W - €83.00
    Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 MHz 4gb CL9 - €119.00
    Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 Black Edition - €158.99
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, Socket-AM3[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]€76.00
    Hard Drive: Hitachi 1Tb 7200 Rpm - €72.00
    DVD: Sony NEC DVD RW - €23.00
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon ATI 5770 1Gb - €135.00

Total Cost: €785.99
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

RD77 wrote:
    photo shop
    RD77 wrote:
    AMD
    picard-headdesk-main99_107.jpg

Your list is interesting anyway :P

I'm assuming your Budget is €800?

If that's so you would be better off getting a i5 750 and a Gigabyte UD3 (UD4 if you plan on Crossfire) board. Works out to roughly the same.
    . I don't know alot about PSUs or graphics cards so I need some advice.
    Glad to help :)
    If you can spring for the Corsair HX 650 PSU, do so. Modular = Winlar and its better quality than the TX (which isn't bad by any stretch anyway!)

For the GPU, the 5770 is fine, and a damn sight more available/cheaper than the 5850s which are close to €300 atm :(

Other than that it looks good. I recommend checking out eBuyer in fact to see how much it will cost you. More than likely will work out cheaper ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    RD77 wrote:
    photo shop
    RD77 wrote:
    AMD

picard-headdesk-main99_107.jpg

lol.gif

Seriously, Phenom has massive issues with Adobe so if you need such fuctionality stay well away. i5 is the obvious choice; off the top of my head you should be able to get something from eBuyer for €650-ish not including monitor or OS (though you'll get through a lot more if you insist on bling case and PSU :P). And unless you want to get 121727612fps or own a 2560*1600 monitor or something you can happily stick with sub-€110/£100 HD5750s for a graphics card and overclock it a bit in Catalyst Control Centre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

It's be nice to know what resolution your screen is, to see what kind of gpu you should be looking at.

Also for that setup a good brand 650watt psu is very big!

I do go on about this all the time but when you get modular you are mostly paying to get rid of some cables in your case, but then you also pay for cable management when getting a case... ?

Even the most basic cases have a space to put your unused cables and i don't really think are at all necessary(as solitaire said "bling"). At the same time there are technical differences between the two psu's Leman was talking about too.

Tell us your resolution though. A hx550-650watt psu would be good for a xfire setup, but you may never even nearly need one.

Advertisement