Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Right Back

• 20-12-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

People seem happy enough to go ahead with 4-4-2 at the moment, anyone who wants to dictate that should go here.

Whatever the outcome of the formation, It doesn't look likely to affect the likelyhood that we're looking at a traditional back four so without further hesitation, let the voting for Right Back Commence.

Note: If people genuinely believe McShane was the best RB of 2009 that's fair enough, but they should at least justify their reasoning instead of jokingly voting and ruining the thread and overall team for everyone.

Best RB of 2009? 197 votes

Sagna
    0% 0 votes
    Young
    26% 53 votes
    Chimbonda
    7% 14 votes
    Steinsson
    0% 0 votes
    Bosingwa
    0% 0 votes
    Hibbert
    4% 8 votes
    Paintsil
    0% 1 vote
    McShane
    1% 3 votes
    Johnson
    7% 15 votes
    G. Neville
    22% 45 votes
    O'Shea
    0% 1 vote
    Corluka
    27% 54 votes
    Melchiot
    1% 3 votes
    Richards
    0% 0 votes
    Hutton
    0% 0 votes
    Bardsley
    0% 0 votes
    Faubert
    0% 0 votes
    other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Glen Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

newbie2 wrote: »
    Not consistent enough for me, he missed a fair bit through injury as well. I thought he was going to be better being honest. I don't think the PL is blessed with players in this position but Johnson just takes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

x43r0 wrote: »
    Glen Johnson

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

go on McShane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

O Shea for me just beats Luke young

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Here, why put fools like McShane in this? Just put up top 4/5 players in that position.

O Shea is by far the most solid defender on this poll, but if you rank it on attacking ability he certainly will lose ground.

Because this is all about opinions and if United and Chelsea fans can be biased about Evra and Cole respectively, I want to even that out by letting Hull fans be biased about McShane if they want. There will of course be a percentage of people taking the píss but not enough to sway the vote, hopefully.

My top 4/5 could be different to yours for example

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    Because this is all about opinions and if United and Chelsea fans can be biased about Evra and Cole respectively, I want to even that out by letting Hull fans be biased about McShane if they want. There will of course be a percentage of people taking the píss but not enough to sway the vote, hopefully.

My top 4/5 could be different to yours for example
    If you add up all the joke votes it could well sway it. Anyway O'Shea for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

O'Shea for me as well. He doesn't have the same ability as Johnson or Sagna going forward, but he hits a decent cross and has been very very consistent defensively for the last year or so.

Young's another player who deserves mention, but I haven't seen enough of him to make such a proclamation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Mcshane shouldnt be in it. No Ivanovich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tony Hibbert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bosingwa

When you look at the list there are no outstanding players there

The best rightback at the moment isnt even on the list - Ivanovic

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

+1 for Ivanovic being on the list at least

+1 for Ivanovic being on the list at least
    Can't edit it now but just vote other and if that outweighs anyone then we can sort it. Alternatively if a mod wants to add Ivanovic I've no problems

Ivanovic hopped off Liverpool at RB last year and didn't really play there too much again.

He has done a good job this season. Maybe he should be in the list but he doesn't deserve to win it so no real point.

Poll is for the calender year so it has to be O'shea, Johnson or Sagna really. Bosingwa a comfy 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

CHD wrote: »
    Ivanovic hopped off Liverpool at RB last year and didn't really play there too much again.

He has done a good job this season. Maybe he should be in the list but he doesn't deserve to win it so no real point.

Thats your opinion. Other people might decide he is the best as that is the point of a poll. In reality we know the majority of Utd fans will vote for O'Shea and Liverpool fans will vote for Johnson - same as practically every poll on here.

Warper wrote: »
    Thats your opinion. Other people might decide he is the best as that is the point of a poll. In reality we know the majority of Utd fans will vote for O'Shea and Liverpool fans will vote for Johnson - same as practically every poll on here.
    Yeah but he wouldn't deserve it if he won it. Like Evra in the LB poll. TBF the two you mention would deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sagna or Eboue who imo is a much better defender than people give him credit for with a great attitude, will go for Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

sagna is the best all round right back on the list. he's solid defensively and good going forward. johnson isnt as good defensively. and o'shea, while solid, isn't close to sagna going forward.

I hope O'Shea doesn't win, just incase we get people slating the poll for Irish-bias again >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Luke Young for me. A versatile, solid, no nonsense full back. Granted he doesn't come with the flashy bells and whistles of Sagna and doesn't have the Irish connections that O' Shea does, but i'd rather him in the Villa team to either.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I hope O'Shea doesn't win, just incase we get people slating the poll for Irish-bias again >:(

In their positions O Shea is more deserving than Given. Only because Givens position contained two World Class goalkeepers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

O'Shea has improved so much this year in my eyes but going for Sagna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

John O' Shea in the lead, that's laughable to be honest and like I predicted before in the left-back thread, I knew he'd get selected due to the Irish bias.

Glen Johnson was far superior to him in 2009 and O'Shea hasn't done much in the 10 Premier League games he's started this season to defy that fact, it has to be Glen Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

John O' Shea in the lead, that's laughable to be honest and like I predicted before in the left-back thread, I knew he'd get selected due to the Irish bias.

Glen Johnson was far superior to him in 2009 and O'Shea hasn't done much in the 10 Premier League games he's started this season to defy that fact, it has to be Glen Johnson.

I'm sorry but I don't think you've watched any full games that O'Shea has played in this season because you couldn't have that opinion if he had.

I think Glen Johnson is a good player but I don't see how a defender in a team playing as Leverpool have been can be rated as the best in the league. I voted for Sagna because I've been very impressed by him all season.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't think you've watched any full games that O'Shea has played in this season because you couldn't have that opinion if he had.

Trust me, I have, I subscribe to Sky Sports, there's a United game on every second weekend :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think Glen Johnson is a good player but I don't see how a defender in a team playing as Leverpool have been can be rated as the best in the league. I voted for Sagna because I've been very impressed by him all season.

It's going on the whole of 2009, as I stated, Johnson was by far and away the best right-back in the league during the calender year, even though he has played at a faultering Liverpool side since the start of the 2009/2010 season, his performances over the whole of 2009 far outweigh O'Shea's.

A player doesn't have to play for Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal just to be the best in his position over a calender year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

danlen wrote: »
    sagna is the best all round right back on the list. he's solid defensively and good going forward. johnson isnt as good defensively. and o'shea, while solid, isn't close to sagna going forward.

Sagna might be a better defender than O'Shea but that isn't what the poll is about. The poll is about the best right back this year, and in my opinion O'Shea has been just that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

O'Shea was the best LB in the league until Evra arrived so it's no surprise that he's the best RB now that he's switched flanks!

Voted for Sagna, as he's been very good this calendar year, I don't rate the competitors as highly as him and because he's the probably the only gooner with a realistic shot of making the team :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's going on the whole of 2009, as I stated, Johnson was by far and away the best right-back in the league during the calender year, even though he has played at a faultering Liverpool side since the start of the 2009/2010 season, his performances over the whole of 2009 far outweigh O'Shea's.

A player doesn't have to play for Manchester United, Chelsea or Arsenal just to be the best in his position over a calender year.

What exactly did Johnson do that was so great as a RB for Pompey bar score the odd goal?

Jesus, the irony of people saying there is Irish bias when they choose Johnson is laughable

O'Shea was the best LB in the league until Evra arrived

Ashley Cole was, without a shadow of a doubt. He still is.

I was mocking the United fans who were saying at the time that O'Shea was.

• Advertisement

+1 and that is from an Arsenal fan.

Luke Young for me. A versatile, solid, no nonsense full back. Granted he doesn't come with the flashy bells and whistles of Sagna and doesn't have the Irish connections that O' Shea does, but i'd rather him in the Villa team to either.
    Sagna, flashy bells and whistles? lol!

Sagna is basically Lauren with much more pace and a better sense of where to be when it matters (in his own third at least). Dani Alves however, he is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's going to be very hard for anyone to be O'Shea - he's Irish and he plays for Man Utd.

If the internet had been around when Paddy Roche was playing, even he would have won. ;)

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Sagna.

Maybe we should have an open vote to see who people voted for?
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Sagna = blog_bells_and_whistles.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Where's the option for Seamus Coleman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Sagna, flashy bells and whistles? lol!

Sagna is basically Lauren with much more pace and a better sense of where to be when it matters (in his own third at least). Dani Alves however, he is not.

Exactly, he is in Arsenals team who play pretty football but he ain't all that, certainly not the PLs best full back. Only thing he has on Luke Young is his youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Glen Johnson cost Liverpool three points against Arsenal recently with his woeful defensive position. While he's played well over the year, such errors are not isolated events.

How often has O'Shea cost United points? Maybe I'm off on this as I don't watch either week in week out, but I can't think of any recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

danlen wrote: »

It's not who is the best. It's who was the best in the last twelve months.

fkt wrote: »
    It's not who is the best. It's who was the best in the last twelve months.

Sagna has been for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I voted for corluka although i probably should of voted for o'shea tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Just noticed Evra got in :D This is going to be hilarious. Given, Evra and O' Shea in a best XI.

No doubt Sir Ryan had a great career, Joeseph, still going strong, the best player to play in the Premier League, the perfect role model, the genetleman, the character, Giggs OBE MBE will get into this too.

Oh and honest Wayne.

This forum should have it's own slot on Comedy Central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Is it just me or is that a pretty poor list of RB's? I don't think any of them have really been outstanding this year.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Is it just me or is that a pretty poor list of RB's? I don't think any of them have really been outstanding this year.

None are in the same league as Lee Dixon imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement