Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Right Back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

OPENROAD wrote: »
    None are in the same league as Lee Dixon imo.

Not now anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

This team is based on January-December. Not since August. Glen Johnson was outstanding for Portsmouth at the end of last season and started very well with Liverpool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Sagna for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

OPENROAD wrote: »
    None are in the same league as Lee Dixon imo.

Or Paul Parker, thems were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

deisedevil wrote: »
    Is it just me or is that a pretty poor list of RB's? I don't think any of them have really been outstanding this year.

Agreed not only this year but ever. When you see the likes of Johnson and O'Shea being voted as being the best in their position you know you have a problem in that area. Johnson is more of a winger (cant defend) and O'Shea is a jack of all trades, master of none. O'Shea is a briliant squad player but would never be anywhere near a Top XI. Definitely no Alves, Maicon or Lahm in that bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

This is all of the EPL in 2009 (Jan-May of 08/09 and Aug-Dec of 09/10?), yeah?

I'd prob give it to Johnson with O'Shea in a close second. Tbh, no one has really been stand out for me in the right back sector so I'm giving my vote to Glen Johnson. Raised his game a bit, good going forward, decent defender. Still far from the finished product, but probably the best out of that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

fkt wrote: »
    This team is based on January-December. Not since August. Glen Johnson was outstanding for Portsmouth at the end of last season and started very well with Liverpool.

Agreed and he was my choice. Came in at a bad time for Pool.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Exactly, he is in Arsenals team who play pretty football but he ain't all that, certainly not the PLs best full back. Only thing he has on Luke Young is his youth.
    lol! Lauren who was a regular in a side that won the league unbeaten, and Sagna is better than him. Whereas Luke Young is a borderline journeyman whose greatest achievement seems to have been captaining Charlton to relegation. But yes, all Sagna has on him is youth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sagna was great in the first season, average in the last one imo. On form the best RB in the league though imo, and thus with his performances so far this season, I'll give it to him. Johnson was solid, but not amazing. O'Shea was solid, but not amazing. Personally, I think it was a poor year for RB's, with Evra and Cole being outstanding in their positions.

All in all, I think this one will be a bit bleh no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sagna for me. Pace and strength in abundance. Solid defence and concentration. Very good on the ball.

JOS should be nowhere near winning this imho. He does a job for United but he makes a few too many costly mistakes and offers very little going forward. I love the man and he's great to have in our squad but he's nowhere near the best right back in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

other - as a pool fan I'm not gonna be biased and vote G.J, for me it has to be Branislav Ivanovic.

He's been a revelation since Bosingwa got injured.

He's got a few assists too

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

aaronh007 wrote: »
    other - as a pool fan I'm not gonna be biased and vote G.J, for me it has to be Branislav Ivanovic

Was going to say him too, he's been class alright especially considering it's not his natural position. Still think Sagna's the best RB in the league over the last 12 months and he hasn't played particularly well either, just there seems to be a lacking of top class RB's in the EPL imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Seriously, who are the 8 people that voted for McShane and which hospital did they escape from?tongue.gif

I voted for Johnson, he was amazing for Portsmouth last season, don't think he has continued on that form to as high a standard this season, but I think he is the best, not that it is a position that has high numbers of quality within the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Polls should be made public in future to name and shame the clowns spoiling it with crap votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Polls should be made public in future to name and shame the clowns spoiling it with crap votes.

But the way it is now, it acts as a sort of filter for those picking one of the possible winners, for the wrong reasons. Same function as having McShane, etc. there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sagna was right back of the year in Ligue 1 when he was bought, just FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sagna for me

Who voted Paul McShane? :p
    9 votes already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Trust me, I have, I subscribe to Sky Sports, there's a United game on every second weekend :rolleyes:

Haha...you definitely haven't watched United games so.

I have sky sports too but have to spend almost every weekend in the pub watching the matches because Setanta and ESPN seem to have all the United games...

mars bar wrote: »
    I have sky sports too but have to spend almost every weekend in the pub watching the matches because Setanta and ESPN seem to have all the United games...

I also have ESPN and Setanta mate :rolleyes:

I also have ESPN and Setanta mate :rolleyes:

Which makes it more pathetic that you think O' Shea being up with Sagna "is laughable"...

O' Shea has become a great defender, can cross a ball and we've even seen him score a header!

• Advertisement

Which makes it more pathetic that you think O' Shea being up with Sagna "is laughable"...

O' Shea has become a great defender, can cross a ball and we've even seen him score a header!

That's not what I said though was it? I said John O'Shea being in the lead was laughable. Don't twist my posts just to suit your arguement mate.

O'Shea is, IMO, definitely not 'a great defender', he's good, no doubt about that and I'd love to have him in my team, however, he certainly hasn't been the best during this calender year, which is what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I think everyone would agree that he has gotten a lot better, but to say that he is the best right back in the Premiership just seems like irish biased votes.

Given as goalkeeper, O'Shea as right back...

Who's going to be left back? Kilbane!?!

p.s. I voted for Given and think he is the best keeper in the league, so I am in no way trying to put him down.

(edit) McShane is up to 10 votes, it's getting worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

O' Shea has become a great defender
    lol no he hasn't. Not even close to being a great defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i would vote johnson mostly coz of his form from jan and he started well again this season, josh would be 2nd choice for me. think sagna is over rated tbh.

but it wont let me vote says i voted already but i didnt:confused:

That's not what I said though was it? I said John O'Shea being in the lead was laughable. Don't twist my posts just to suit your arguement mate.

O'Shea is, IMO, definitely not 'a great defender', he's good, no doubt about that and I'd love to have him in my team, however, he certainly hasn't been the best during this calender year, which is what this thread is about.

Please stop saying mate, I'm not your mate (I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner or anything, I just hate that word, and it seems weird to call a lady "mate", it's a male thing!). I apologize for twisting your words, but you hid the fact that you have Setanta and ESPN to take a dig at United fans!

O' Shea is one of the best in this poll, in all fairness the standard of RB's is poor, as has been said already. For me, being the United fan I am, (not because he's Irish), I would vote for him. He's not there now and we are missing him. Absence makes the heart grow fonder I suppose. I think he is a great defender anyway...

People voting for McShane would want to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Please stop saying mate, I'm not your mate

im not your mate, buddy

Headshot wrote: »
    im not your mate, buddy

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Please stop saying mate, I'm not your mate (I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner or anything, I just hate that word, and it seems weird to call a lady "mate", it's a male thing!). I apologize for twisting your words, but you hid the fact that you have Setanta and ESPN to take a dig at United fans!

O' Shea is one of the best in this poll, in all fairness the standard of RB's is poor, as has been said already. For me, being the United fan I am, (not because he's Irish), I would vote for him. He's not there now and we are missing him. Absence makes the heart grow fonder I suppose. I think he is a great defender anyway...

People voting for McShane would want to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

Calm down mate. It's terrible innit.;)

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Calm down mate. It's terrible innit.;)

Has the cast of Eastenders signed up here or something?! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

while i agree that the list isn't all that spectacular, i think people are putting dani alves, maicon and lahm up on a pedastal (these are names mentioned earlier on in the thread). While I'd agree that maicon is the dominant RB in the world, a lot of the attention he gets is on the basis that he is a magnificent attacking defender who chips in with an impressive amount of goals and assists. As a one on one defender he can be found wanting as Utd discovered last season.(that said im not 100% certain if it was ronaldo who was against him and if that is the case perhaps I'm being a little harsh on him).

As for lahm he's been one of my favourite players since I saw him with Stuttgart, however he is no great shakes defensively either. This was demonstrated in the Euros in 08 both in the final and the semi. He is a very decent defender but I'd imagine that Liverpool wouldn't swop Johnson for him nor Chelsea and Bosingwa. Again one of his great strengths would be the attacking side he brings to the team.

And dani alves, well eze^ is the resident barca expert along with Redzer(afair) and im sure they could give us the low down on him, however for all his attacking prowess (like maicon) he can be a bit dodgy defensively. Perhaps it is simply because he is so good at getting forward that it outweighs his talents from a defensive point of view but it is a charge i have read about and seen on the very few occasions i've seen barca in spain. again maybe one of the barca boys could fill us in there.

Soo.. basically my point is that while the list of right backs doesn't seem too impressive, it could be argued that some of them (o'shea, sagna and bosingwa - i still think johnson should be a winger) are as good as if not better than 90% of right backs out there, think of arbeloa, flamini/oddo, cacares etc.
    Im going to go for sagna ahead of o'shea purely because he was beside a pretty dodgy backline for a huge part of last year , you could argue that he still is! - but managed to remain the most consistently good defender, while o'shea was part of an awesome backline but was at times exposed as their weak link. It's close and most importantly from an Irish perspective its great to see o'shea up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I voted Young.

As a Spurs supporter I'm baffled as to why Hutton is in there.

Ugh, these things just show how many biased yoonited supporters are in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

joe123 wrote: »
    Mcshane shouldnt be in it. No Ivanovich?
    Is McShane's inclusion merely a ploy to take votes away from Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

I honestly think O'Shea done a fantastic job at RB this season, and as an Ireland supporter it was great to see him getting a good run. I assume Fergie will slot him straight back in there when he's fit. O'Shea/Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra when fully fit is probably the EPL's best back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sean7 wrote: »
    I honestly think O'Shea done a fantastic job at RB this season, and as an Ireland supporter it was great to see him getting a good run. I assume Fergie will slot him straight back in there when he's fit. O'Shea/Ferdinand/Vidic/Evra when fully fit is probably the EPL's best back four.

Bosingwa or Ivanovic/Carvalho/Terry/A.Cole any day of the week. :p

Johner wrote: »
    Bosingwa or Ivanovic/Carvalho/Terry/A.Cole any day of the week. :p
    is that the same Carvalho who pushed on west ham player inside box yesterday right under refs nose?

Yes it is but what has that got to do with anything? :confused: Just because he pushed someone doesn't make him a bad player?

Carvalho is a right **** for the pushing like Vidic is a right **** for elbows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

To quote the great John Giles, "they're not great options are they"

Yes it is but what has that got to do with anything? :confused: Just because he pushed someone doesn't make him a bad player?

Carvalho is a right **** for the pushing like Vidic is a right **** for elbows. :)
    Two wrongs dont make a right

But how does it make Carvalho a bad player? He is one of the best CB's in the world imo.

• Advertisement

But how does it make Carvalho a bad player? He is one of the best CB's in the world imo.
    Well this is for Right backs. Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Trust me, I have, I subscribe to Sky Sports, there's a United game on every second weekend :rolleyes:

Five Premier League games out of eighteen played have been on Sky Sports, three of those were against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. No where near every second weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I'll go with O'shea, Mr.safe & steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sagna is the standout right-back in the Premiership imo.

Next year we could be talking about Johnson, but I feel Sagna is more proven and realiable at both ends of the pitch. He's a really effective player. O'Shea is good but he's not near the level of Sagna, shocking that he's taken so many votes, although perhaps not when looking at the voting trends so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fair play to John O'Shea for his part in a great Utd effort this year.

but Sagna is the standout performer.

defensively solid; consistently so, unlike his colleague Clichy on the other side. plus he's quick, offering a constant overlap in attack.

it's between the two of them, with Johnson 3rd, due to the lapses he would have before his Liverpool career, and the lapses he's suffered in the last couple of Liverpool games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Morzadec wrote: »
    Sagna is the standout right-back in the Premiership imo.

Next year we could be talking about Johnson, but I feel Sagna is more proven and realiable at both ends of the pitch. He's a really effective player. O'Shea is good but he's not near the level of Sagna, shocking that he's taken so many votes, although perhaps not when looking at the voting trends so far.

Johnson for next year? Have you been watching him at all during the last few matches?

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote: »
    Johnson for next year? Have you been watching him at all during the last few matches?

yes, a couple of matches proves the quality of a player :rolleyes:

let's ignore the previous exemplory performances he churned out, offensively and defensively.

it's not at all beyond the realms of possibility that he may become the best RB in the League very soon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

O'Shea and Sagna level pegging on 44 votes as of posting, with Johnson narrowly in third.

I wonder what the CB pairing is going to be... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

To hopefully influence the final few votes,

:eek::eek::eek:
    That kinda skill cannot be overlooked.

sure gary neville almost chipped Buffon once.

he should get a few votes so...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's not llike Figo is a defender anyway..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement