Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Right Back

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

To hopefully influence the final few votes,

:eek::eek::eek:
    That kinda skill cannot be overlooked.
    pffft. I see your Figo nutmeg and raise you a:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

pffft is that all you got

I raise you this beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Pffft, keeper shoulda had that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

I wonder what the CB pairing is going to be... :)

Richard Dunne and Andy O'Brien :rolleyes:

Richard Dunne and Andy O'Brien :rolleyes:

John O'Shea will be in the centre back category too.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

its got to be glen johnson.. even though liverpool havent been up to scratch this season hes been workin his socks off up and down the right wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

johnson shouldn't win this, unfortunately.

i'd love it if he managed to though, there'd be a minor meltdown in here i suspect.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

McShane now has 13 votes, roffles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Putting bias aside it really should be O Shea for this calendar year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Thought Sagna was great this year, plenty of key interceptions, not many mistakes, quick, gets forward an puts crosses into the box regularly. Great player!

Not sure about the inconsistency argument; whenever I watch Arsenal he is always one of their best players, usually their best defender.

Not sure about the inconsistency argument; whenever I watch Arsenal he is always one of their best players, usually their best defender.

because it's an easy argument to just make up.

whenever I watch Arsenal he is always one of their best players, usually their best defender.

Thats not saying much, Arsenals defence is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I wonder what the CB pairing is going to be... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i wouda said o shea if i didnt see MCSHANE in it... why put him init? only fools like me will vote for him then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

curry-muff wrote: »

That's not right - there actually all good defenders. The problem they have is that the whole team is very attack minded and the defence doesn't get that much protection. Added to that is the fact that both left and full back are encouraged to attack.

If there is a problem it's with the strategy, not with the players themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

joe123 wrote: »
    Mcshane shouldnt be in it. No Ivanovich?

Your kidding, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Have only conceded 3 more goals than utd in the league.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Have only conceded 3 more goals than utd in the league.

For a start conceding 3 more goals than a team who has 2 midfielders in its defence aint saying much, especially when rio has been off form when he has played is still 3 more goals.

Secondly this is the calendar year 2009, shall we compare records for the rest of 09?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

For a start conceding 3 more goals than a team who has 2 midfielders in its defence aint saying much, especially when rio has been off form when he has played is still 3 more goals.

Secondly this is the calendar year 2009, shall we compare records for the rest of 09?

And this has been the case all season? Arsenal have had some terrible injuries over the period of 09 both in defense and midfield that has had an impact on the number of goals let in.

I would be interested to see the figures for 09 though if anyone has them.

sagna has been great all year.

JOS has also been very good.

just because JOS played for utd, who won the league, does not mean he's a better RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Absolutely, Man U's defence is far dodgier than Arsenal's at the moment. Even Silvestre would be an improvement on 3 of the guys who played at Fulham :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Shay Z for me. Waterford's finest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Osu wrote: »
    Your kidding, right?
    lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Osu wrote: »
    Your kidding, right?

Ivanovic has been brilliant this season for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

51 votes a piece? Interesting :) If it's a tie I vote we get them two to fight to the death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Johner wrote: »
    Ivanovic has been brilliant this season for us.

Seriously underrated player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Voltwad wrote: »
    51 votes a piece? Interesting :) If it's a tie I vote we get them two to fight to the death.
    Man Utd have enough defence problems without having one being sentenced to death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Kold wrote: »
    Man Utd have enough defence problems without having one being sentenced to death!
    I think O'Shea would batter Sagna tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Voltwad wrote: »
    I think O'Shea would batter Sagna tbh
    I think we need a poll..

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I wonder how many of the 51 votes for O'Shea are Utd fans. O'Shea has been good don't get me wrong But Johnson and Sagna have been much better.

I wonder how many of the 51 votes for O'Shea are Utd fans. O'Shea has been good don't get me wrong But Johnson and Sagna have been much better.

Probably a lot of them.:rolleyes:

The Utd fans who actually watch O'Shea every week and see how under rated and ridiculed he is by those who don't see him that often.

Probably the same could be said about Sagna.

Probably a lot of them.:rolleyes:

The Utd fans who actually watch O'Shea every week and see how under rated and ridiculed he is by those who don't see him that often.

Probably the same could be said about Sagna.
    You could say that... Or you could say the Utd fans that don't watch anyone else play..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You could say that... Or you could say the Utd fans that don't watch anyone else play..

Or you could say that any poll on this bleedin forum is going to suffer from bias, and just accept it as the way it is.

I voted for Young anyway ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I voted for Young anyway ^_^

I voted for McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think O'Shea is a great player to have in your squad and can do a job in many different positions but, I'd never have him in the best 11 premiership team as there are definitely a couple of players better than him in any position!

i know it's only a bit of fun, but O'Shea winning would be a farce, and you all know it.

he is blatantly not the best in the Premiership in that position.

he's not even the best at Utd.

i voted Sagna, but Bosingwa's better too.

Well I thought performance came into it. That said, I still don't think O'Shea was the best performer either. Tis just bias here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Well I thought performance came into it.

he's been part of a great unit, but individually, he didn't perform at the level of Sagna.

otherwise we may as well vote in the entire Utd team now.

even Bosingwa pulled out more eye-catching performances than JOS (no disrespect to him).

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

2 United players too...ridic :rolleyes: :D

jasonorr wrote: »
    2 United players too...ridic :rolleyes: :D

i wouldn't mind as much those two getting it for the centre backs.

only two or three others can claim to have matched their performances imo.

but we'll save that for the CBs thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Sagna for me,excellent player

O'Shea wins? What an absolute joke, is there really any point in going any further with this?

O'Shea wins? What an absolute joke, is there really any point in going any further with this?

No, since nobody else is capable of forming their own opinion.:rolleyes:

O'Shea has clearly not been the best RB in the Premier League in 2009, he's not even close.

Johnson was excellent for Portsmouth in 2009 which got him a move to Liverpool, he started this season very well, his form has dipped a bit but overall in 2009 a much better RB than O'Shea.

Sagna has been consistently very good for Arsenal, good defensively and also very good going forward again he has had a better 09 than O'Shea in any sensible football fans opinion.

Ivanovic is in my opinion the most improved RB in the premier league in 2009, after a shaky start replacing Bosingwa he has really made the RB position his own and Bosser will find it very hard to get back into the team. Ivanovic was today linked with Real, not bad for a player who couldn't get into the Chelsea side a year ago.

I'm not saying O'Shea has had a bad 09 but to any football fans with a bit of knowledge he would never top a poll for the best RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Might aswell scrap the whole ****ing thing if this trend is going to continue.

As I said in the Goalkeeper Poll, it will be made up of mostly Irish players due to the Irish bias - I don't look like being wrong so far.

Dunne and O'Brien for Centre-Backs, Duff and Hunt (even though he's only played a small part of 2009 in the EPL but why would facts get in the way of this team?) on the wings, Glenn Whelan in the Centre of Midfield alongside Keith Andrews with Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle (See Hunt) upfront.

It's a complete joke.

• Advertisement

Might aswell scrap the whole ****ing thing if this trend is going to continue.

As I said in the Goalkeeper Poll, it will be made up of mostly Irish players due to the Irish bias - I don't look like being wrong so far.

Dunne and O'Brien for Centre-Backs, Duff and Hunt (even though he's only played a small part of 2009 in the EPL but why would facts get in the way of this team?) on the wings, Glenn Whelan in the Centre of Midfield alongside Keith Andrews with Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle (See Hunt) upfront.

It's a complete joke.

I think the polls will be dictated by club bias more so to be honest!

Advertisement