Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing roast potatos

Options
  • 20-12-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

After watching Jamie Oliver's xmas dinner show on channel 4 this week I decided to try his recipe for roast potatos. All I can say is OMFG, they were amazing!!!!

Peel the spuds and cut them to about the size of a mandarin orange, rinse the starch off them then stick them into a pot of cold water, add a generous amount of salt then bring them to a fast boil. Turn the heat down a little and allow them to blanch for ten minutes.

Drain them, and shake the collander a little so the edges appear fluffy, then allow to cool, I threw the collander out the back garden to speed it up.

Put a couple of spoonfulls of goose fat into a heavy based pan (pref cast iron) and bring it up to a sizziling heat, drop the spuds into the pan and turn them a few times with a couple of spoons to coat all sides with the fat.

Crack sea salt all over them and put them into a preheated oven (gas 7, 220), for 30 mins.

After half an hour take them out and using a potato masher, gently press down and flatten the potatos (to about an inch), don't worry if they seem to break up, this is good. Throw some chopped rosemary, a couple of garlic cloves and a sprinkle of red wine vinegar over them and stick them back in for 40 mins.

Take them straight from the oven to the plate to the table, they taste best brand new.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I like boiling potatoes until there are a little fluffy on the outside , then put in a lunch box, some salt and pepper and pour animal fat of what ever you have cooked in and gently toss . put in oven and tis very nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's all about the animal fat. I love roasties from roast lamb - nyom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I always cook mine like that and they are absolutely fabulous.
    I blanch them and shake them in a colonder,let them cool down before I put them in the oven with really hot goose fat.
    Bon Appetit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

holly1 wrote: »
    I always cook mine like that and they are absolutely fabulous.
    I blanch them and shake them in a colonder,let them cool down before I put them in the oven with really hot goose fat.
    Bon Appetit.

Me too, usually, but try the little trick of pressing them down with a masher, it creates much more crunchiness than usual.

Advertisement