Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Agenda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Ivan wrote: »
    Yeah, a friend and I are looking for a decent Agency too. Maybe we should start a boards Agency and try to get into an AvA alliance?

I set up one"Boardsie" . If anyone want to join. I've only got a level 12 medic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ive gone through about 6 agencies so far that have folded or had their alliance disband. rage quitters mostly. i was in one for about 20 minutes and about 40 people left it to form their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

How did they suss you out so quickly? ;P

Wish it was cheaper, the description looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I set up one"Boardsie" . If anyone want to join. I've only got a level 12 medic at the moment.

Yeah, I'll send you a PM later. What's your account nick?

Yeah, I'll send you a PM later. What's your account nick?

waynen12.

So far there's no one else in it. May be hard to get a lot of members.

• Advertisement

Hey, I tried to add you to my friends list but the name doesn't exist or isn't valid. Can you double check the in-game name?

Hey, I tried to add you to my friends list but the name doesn't exist or isn't valid. Can you double check the in-game name?

Yeah sorry. I've so many nicknames across different games.
    It's

waynenone

Still no other members in the agency though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Theres no trial and you can buy directly from the GA website if you prefer.

I was impressed at how efficient the Graphics Engine was. The game looks (or creates the illusion) of a game that runs comparably to Crysis etc. But on significantly less Performance Power. Runs quite well on the laptop (dual core 2ghz, 8400M GS, 4GB RAM)

I wouldn't call it an MMO. The only thing that makes it close to an MMO is the Hubs you sit in between missions, but thats like taking TF2 and putting everybody in a waiting room where you can buy new gear, queue for another battle, and send and receive mail. Basically, theres no successful Illusion that its an Environment; just a menu that involves a lot of walking. You have about a hundred square yards of enclosed space to run around in (with no jetpack) so you can forget about going cruisin'.

Havent lined up for PvP yet. Took donkey years to download the files so I only got a few baby runs in the PvEs. But I tell you what, if all it was is Blood Gultch and a bunch of people with jetpacks sniping and ripping eachother apart with miniguns, it will have been money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I've been giving the trial a go and will keep at it for another while, I had the idea in my head that combat would be like Tribes, or at least Tribes 2. I found that you can't use the jetpack while you have a weapon out dissapointing. The rest seems fairly decent though even if I only have basic weapons and a level 6 :)

At least it made me dig out my Tribes 2 cd and find there was still a small community going!

You get used to the jetpack + weapon limitation and I think it suits the game better, you don't end up with the same problem from mad jumping about the place while trying to hit a tiny pixel with a pea-shooter from 100 virtual feet away, that you had with Tribes.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't come close to beating skiing - but I find that this limitation is actually a plus in most respects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Downloading the trial now.
    I loved the idea behind Planetside and quite enjoyed the game, enjoyed Tribes,Guild Wars was always a cheap mans wow to me :P and still love TF2 so i guess this game could be a winner :)
    It looks pretty decent tbh,looking forward to trying it later.

Theres certain MMO guys on boards whos opinions i tend to trust,Ivan being one of them so its on your head mate :)

Just ordered Dragon Age Origins and am hooked on Bad Company 2, God knows where im gonna get the time to play any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Got the trial, after much trouble launching the game (shader errors even though I knew my card supported it and had the latest drivers etc) I finally got to run through the training missions. So far I wasn't too impressed. Shabby graphics. Gameplay was a bit meh.. Maybe this is all just because I was only playing against bots during the initial training. I'll see how it goes later if I get a chance to continue on a bit in the "real world".
    It's a shame things in the world don't blow up. Shoot a vehicle at the side of the road and poof, nothing happens. Bullet / laser just passes right through it like a late 90's game. :( Not great for today's standards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Tried this out lastnight, spent 95% of my time running around some Dome city with no way out of it that i could find.
    Spent absolutely ages in queues for low level stuff.
    At one point i was in a queue for 40 mins and only to enter some pve place that lasted like 5 minutes lol.
    The game has potential but i just didnt feel part of a gaming world while playing.
    Maybe im missing something? is there an actual gaming world for lowbies to explore?
    Is it all just queue for an instanced encounter?
    How else can i level up?

It is all queuing/instanced content, you can level up in PvP or PvE. I would imagine the reason you spent so long queing is because you were connected to the EU servers while most players have mass-emigrated to the US servers. It adds about 100ms to your ping but doubles the amount of players available.

PvP is just as approachable at lower levels as you have just as much chance to compete with higher levels but you don't have nearly as many tools. The whole game is instanced though. It really is just like Team Fortress 2 but with a visual lobby to sit in while you find a server instead of sitting a Find server menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

PvP is just as approachable at lower levels as you have just as much chance to compete with higher levels but you don't have nearly as many tools.
    Sorry Ivan but I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Take an Assault for example. A fully speced level 30+ Tank minigun Assault would have ~1k more hp (40% health from skills on the top of my head), resists, bigger power pool (+40% pool, minigun takes 10% less) AND higher mingun damage (+10% damage, +50 range). Can you compete against that as a level 10 Assault? Yes, but it is not even close to an equal match (and this is before we start talking about the likely upgrades on the higher chars due to saved up cash/crafting).

It is not a WoW 30 vs. 80 match though, more like 30 vs. 39 game, harder but possible if you play well/get lucky.

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry Ivan but I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Take an Assault for example. A fully speced level 30+ Tank minigun Assault would have ~1k more hp (40% health from skills on the top of my head), resists, bigger power pool (+40% pool, minigun takes 10% less) AND higher mingun damage (+10% damage, +50 range). Can you compete against that as a level 10 Assault? Yes, but it is not even close to an equal match (and this is before we start talking about the likely upgrades on the higher chars due to saved up cash/crafting).

It is not a WoW 30 vs. 80 match though, more like 30 vs. 39 game, harder but possible if you play well/get lucky.
    I don't know how much PUG PvP you've played, but I was the only Tank spec'd Assault I ever came across and yes, I totally dominated, raped all the lower levels (and those dps spec'd Assault) but if you compare all of the stat bonuses you have stated and translate it to Warcraft for example, there is significantly less the "lower character" can do short of die instantly and horribly. In GA you can duck behind a crate or a wall or some team-mates.

My friend played his Medic from level 6 to 30 purely in PvP. Because friendlies can pass through one another without issue, but an enemy cannot - he would just run right through me and the person chasing him stopped awkwardly, right in front of my mini-gun.

My point isn't so much that the higher level talents and skills are meaningless, that would be awful; it is more that they aren't as instantly defining as in other MMOs.

Obviously, there is a difference without that what would be the point in leveling - but alot of the talents and higher skills are completely overcome by a good tactic or good FPS skill.

In summary: you are completely correct and I withdraw my original point and restate it as,

"PvP is just as approachable at lower levels as you have quite a good chance to compete with higher levels, but you don't have nearly as many tools."

Advertisement