Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Who season 5

• 20-12-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

anyone know when in 2010 this will start being aired?

cant wait for this :):)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Early April I think , around Easter time just like the other series but nothing is confirmed yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Looking forward to seeing the re-invention with the new team. Hopefully we'll tone down on some of the theatrics and focus more on story telling than running and running...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

You know, I did love RTD and the running. But I loved Classic Who and seeing a return to pure story telling will be a very welcome change.

And I really think Moffat's efforts have been excellent so far! I'm hopeful for series 5! (or is it 6!? Do these ones count as five??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kastiel

Can't wait for it to begin.

One thing, does any think Matt Smith's look is gonna give us the first Emo Doctor?

I bloody hope not!!!

*shudder*

Apparently they're going for an old man in a young body sort of thing. I reckon it's more Troughton than Emo! Please God!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'm hopeful for series 5! (or is it 6!? Do these ones count as five??)
    Nope, all the specials are counted as just that; specials. The 2010 series will be Series 5 (or Series 31 for the Old Who fans).

There's some info on Series 5 on Wikipedia if anyone's interested, but no info on when it'll start airing yet

WARNING: SPOILERS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials#Eleventh_Doctor

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Nope, all the specials are counted as just that; specials. The 2010 series will be Series 5 (or Series 31 for the Old Who fans).
    Well I'm glad someone else recognises it'll be Season 31 :) Currently working my way through Season 6's "The Dominators" which, so far, is a load of crap... Jamie's a great companion though which helps.

Meh. I call it season 5 purely because we are bombarded with that. Even in Doctor Who Magazine like!

I agree though. We should refer to it on here with it's official number 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

But I loved Classic Who and seeing a return to pure story telling will be a very welcome change.

And I really think Moffat's efforts have been excellent so far! I'm hopeful for series 5! (or is it 6!? Do these ones count as five??)

Absolutely agree. I have loved the episodes Moffat has written for the last 4 series so cannot wait for him to replace RTD. It's the only thing that'll help me get over my Tennant-grief... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

No idea when the next season starts but can't wait for it. I think Matt Smith could be a really good Doctor although I'd prefer if they didn't go for the old man in a young body angle. He's the youngest Doctor so far, I think they should use that fact. Still I think Stephen Moffat is an excellent writer so it probably will work out for the better.

I'm delighted that
    River Song is returning. I would have preferred if she had returned to meet the tenth Doctor but I can see why she didn't; things are complicated enough as it is.I can see a love triangle developing with her and the new companion but I'd rather if that didn't happen. Rose and Martha were both in love with the Doctor. I think that's companion interest for a good while.

• Advertisement

^^^ His name is Steven Moffat, not Scott :)

^^^ His name is Steven Moffat, not Scott :)

See I know his name yet I've been typing Scott all day. I really should get some sleep. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭thegrove54

he was good at the end of time part two anyone else think tennats death was dragged out to a inch of its life??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

ixoy wrote: »
    Well I'm glad someone else recognises it'll be Season 31 :) Currently working my way through Season 6's "The Dominators" which, so far, is a load of crap... Jamie's a great companion though which helps.

its actually season 1 (as in SM's Season 1) according to the man himself and the clapperboards wot i have seen.

or 31 (which is what i'll call it)

the sepacials were all offically part of season 4 (RTD) The End of Time part 2 being 4.17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've heard March 13th as the air date for the first episode.

Stark wrote: »
    Link?

Although that does like a safe bet. At the moment they're showing all the episodes on BBC Three, and The End Of Time Part 2 should air on March 12th

K-9 wrote: »

The third one being the latest design version of the Daleks (very cool eye stalk) and set during WW2 and with Winston Churchill in it
    Stark wrote: »

Usually they start around Easter Saturday but I would imagine that the Moffatt Crew would like to break with a lot of tradition. Interestingly, in part two of the Interview in Doctor Who Magazine he states that RTD and the 10th crew were very part time and did very little in 2009 and that 11 and his crew were the main gig.

Now, I like the Moff a lot (have even got the Joking Apart Box set) but between that interview and the one he did at the Writers convention in the Autmun (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctorwho/tubetalk/a184561/steven-moffat-talks-doctor-who-future.html) ..... I am worried that he is coming across as a bit of a ...... prat.

Opinions? (could be a topic in itself)

I'll have to go back and watch the specials again before it comes back on.

This and TW, can't wait for the new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

thegrove54 wrote: »
    he was good at the end of time part two anyone else think tennats death was dragged out to a inch of its life??

I remember watching Tom Baker's demise, and thinkin that it was drawn out, but that was nothing compared to this.
    Best change so far? Chris-David.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

https://twitter.com/paul_cornell/status/9252538268
    I gather that Doctor Who fans should be watching BBC1 at 18.30 this Saturday, during the break between programmes.

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    I remember watching Tom Baker's demise, and thinkin that it was drawn out, but that was nothing compared to this.
    Best change so far? Chris-David.
    Nah, it's gotta be Troughton - Pertwee :D

ixoy wrote: »
    Nah, it's gotta be Troughton - Pertwee :D

Even more drawn out than most think:

http://www.doctorwho-devious.com/

Pertwees last stand (or indeed fall)....:)

Does anyone know what it was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Not a great ad at all, in my opinion... I expected more...

I'm a relatively new fan of Dr Who, so forgive my ignorance.

Was that thing at 0:56 something from the classic series?

Possibly the redesigned Silurians?

Meh...it was okay. I get the impression they didn't want to give away any more than they did with the initial promos so they just threw that together. Bit too cheesy for my liking. Also hinted at a Doctor/companion romance and we really don't need anymore of those. Sure the Doctor's pretty incredible (and Tennant was gorgeous) but that doesn't mean everyone is going to throw themselves at him and definitely not everyone he ends up travelling with, it's ridiculous.

It's hard to know what Amy will be like as a companion yet but I'm hoping there'll be more than just her. I really like multiple companions. From the looks of things River Song will be joining them which should be interesting but, again, there better not be too much romance. Obviously they end up marrying or something along those lines but it'd be better if it progressed slowly. Anywho I've rambled enough for one post...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I think that's meant to be the new Silurians; I'm a bit cautious about them returning - the story from the original series was from the more adult-centric Season 7 (way back in 1970) and was a dark tale that made pains to present the Silurians as more than just monsters to scare the kids. I'd hate to think they'll just have another threat-of-the-week.

But I digress. The trailer.
    Yes well, it was a bit rubbish really, wasn't it? As said above it seemed a bit cobbled together, to be used solely as a marketing vehicle. Which to be honest, is fair enough; you can't blame the BBC for wanting to keep the show in the public's consciousness, especially if they're afraid that the ... how can I put this politely ... Tennantphile demographic decide to jump ship because their 45 minute love-in is gone ;)

Oh and apparently Amy's engaged to some bloke back on earth, who will apparently also share the Tardis for a time (if the general site reporting is to be believed), so not sure there'll be any actual Doctor-companion goings on this time.

Ah so the Silurians are back - not too surprising. I think they were pretty decent in the past (in S7 as pixelburp says). They were more intelligent bad guys and didn't just run around screaming trite catch phrases and fart. They did a pretty good job reviving the Sontarans so I'd be pretty hopeful.

Now when can we have some Ice Warriors? And, go on treat us, bring back Peladon's Alpha Centauri!

As for the format of the ad, it is running in front of Alice In Wonderland 3D in the UK so that was going to be a big factor in how things went. For that reason alone it was never going to be a series of clips.

But that ad is rubbish. Rubbish. It's trying oh so hard to be "down with the kids". Enjoyed the other ad, not this. But then is it is in front of Alice... 3D then it would explain a lot.

Doesn't stop it being horrendous though.

Dreadful ad - if I hadn't watched 30 seasons of the damned thing, I wouldn't watch it on the basis of that trailer. Far too cheesy - what a slap to "Blink" to see the Doctor wrestling with a Weeping Angel in a cheap SFX vortex. If I could, I'd use the Hand of Omega on the ad's creators!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ahhhh, it's a trailer on a 3D move. That explains a lot.

• Advertisement

the original Christopher Eccleston trailer featured lots of explosions and fire and had no connection with the show that emerged at all.

Wonder if that music will be the new variation on the theme.

Oh, didnt like it, but i dont like anything so im no judge.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and apparently Amy's engaged to some bloke back on earth, who will apparently also share the Tardis for a time (if the general site reporting is to be believed), so not sure there'll be any actual Doctor-companion goings on this time.

every one of Stephen Moffats Stories so far has had two companions in them, and it is something that he says works better then one, so that they can discuss him and he can seem more different to the humans, with that in mind I would expect a lot of two companion action. Week six is pencilled in as the second launch story this year, which I think means its the River Song two parter but Amys BF is also in the Tardis which pixeburp has said and he may stay around for the rest of the years run. Maybe the first five weeks just with Amy, then the last eight with two (or more).

i liked the line that the doctor says at the end it just seems cool really looking forward to this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I quite liked the ad. Was a little unusual maybe but there was nothing in it that made me worry about the upcoming series.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

Apparantly the new series starts Sat April 3rd.
    I like the look of the new doctor, very tweedy, with a dickie-bow and braces, like a professor from the '30s.
    It looks like Matt is going to put his own mark on the role, and not simply do an impersonation of DT.
    I'm optimistic.

• Advertisement

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    Apparantly the new series starts Sat April 3rd.

well thats the tradition anyway to start easter saturday, and its on the official site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/features/bulletins/bulletin_100219_01

wonder if thats the new time vortex.

Three more episodes confirmed:
    The Time Of Angels/Flesh And Stone (which will feature River Song)
    Vampires In Venice

The other titles are rumoured to be:
    The Museum Of Ghosts
    Circus Freaks/The Return Of The Siluran
    Vincent And The Doctor
    The Cyberman
    Everything Dies/The Rise Of The Rani

Three more episodes confirmed:
    The Time Of Angels/Flesh And Stone (which will feature River Song)
    Vampires In Venice
    Thats correct

The other titles are rumoured to be:
    The Museum Of Ghosts
    Circus Freaks/The Return Of The Siluran
    Vincent And The Doctor
    The Cyberman
    Everything Dies/The Rise Of The Rani

One and three of that is right AFAIK, but that last one cant be rigtht can it ?:eek:

One and three of that is right AFAIK, but that last one cant be rigtht can it ?:eek:
    I don't know, that's why I said "rumoured" ;)

Although it's also been rumoured that
    The Rani
    would be returning in the past two seasons as well, so I'd be more surprised if it turned out to be true than if it turned out to be another red herring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well I heard
    Anjili Mohindra was spotted on set so the story may revolve around her Sarah Jane Adventures character, Rani Chandra, rather then that red head that contributed to the demise of the classic series.

flazio wrote: »
    Well I heard
    Anjili Mohindra was spotted on set so the story may revolve around her Sarah Jane Adventures character, Rani Chandra, rather then that red head that contributed to the demise of the classic series.

i have never understood the fandom that person in the past you referred to in yonder spoiler has created, having seen all the eps that person was in. however, every bit of fanwank seems to inevitably feature that person, and RTD knew that, of course. :cool:

moffatt has said he no longer reads the forums :( (maybe he still reads ours -*waves*)

Haha,
    the Rani
    ? Please, that rumour has cropped up in between every series since the first of the new run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Just finished reading the SFX interview with the new Dr. One thing that struck me throughout, though it may be the way the photo's were taken, is that Matt bears a passing resemblance to Peter Davison, anyone else see it or am I need of a trip to specsavers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

cnt wait for this to be out it shall be good alot of people say hey what you watch that dr who **** for and i say well what about the **** u watch dr who aint **** at all should be interesting now that david tennent is gone he was the doctor for to long :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement