Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Who season 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Oh I quite like that sound of long story arcs. One of the the problems with a lot of RTD's stories was they weren't given long enough to develop so they were very rushed and all over he place as a result. I like the idea of stories that progress slowly because it suggests more developed, coherent plots and, most likely, a lot less running...although I never minded the running quite as much as some viewers.:p

these will be proper long story arcs, not the Bad Wolf / Doctor Donna (where paying someone a glib compliment during a series somehow counts as an arc "you're brilliant you are Donna!") ones. That said, the Saxon/Master one worked ok.

anyway, here is a spoilertastic thing is saw on 't interweb
    "new mouth, new rules" says 11 in the 11th hour. Hurrah, no more moping over Rose and angst for starting the Time War in Genesis of the Daleks/Rememberance of the Daleks (whichever one you fancy - i go for the latter myself as he did blow up Skaro) this guy is a good old fashioned reboot

also
    he picks up his outfit not in the tardis walk in wardrobe but in a hospital, just like three (or was it four, technically, i cant remember its almost one am you know) and eight did

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Just jumping ahead a bit, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are both confirmed for the Christmas special as well as the 2011 series which is good. Can you believe that it'll be the first time that both doctor and companion will be staying on together for two seasons since the show returned? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More clips from the first episode; there's nothing overly interesting happening in them, bar a "comedy" walking-into-a-tree moment & Amy's general loveliness:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Eighth Doctor is on Watch TV for those with Sky, tomorrow at 1.50 pm.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Was just watching The End of Time and when talking about the two Time Lords hiding there faces Razillon said 'They will stand monument to their shame like the Weeping Angels of old.' Okay so this may just be me reading too much into things but Stephen Moffat said
    that this season we are going to find out more about what the Weeping Angels and what they can do. Razillon could have just been referring to the similarity in pose or could it be a hint that the Weeping Angels have some link to the Time Lords or are even former Time Lords? I'm probably completely wrong here it's just when he said 'the Weeping Angels of old' it made me think that it sounded like some sort of Gallifreyan custom no longer carried out. I don't know, like I said I'm probably reading far too much into things. Just thought I'd share me theory. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Was just watching The End of Time and when talking about the two Time Lords hiding there faces Razillon said 'They will stand monument to their shame like the Weeping Angels of old.' Okay so this may just be me reading too much into things but Stephen Moffat said
    that this season we are going to find out more about what the Weeping Angels and what they can do. Razillon could have just been referring to the similarity in pose or could it be a hint that the Weeping Angels have some link to the Time Lords or are even former Time Lords? I'm probably completely wrong here it's just when he said 'the Weeping Angels of old' it made me think that it sounded like some sort of Gallifreyan custom no longer carried out. I don't know, like I said I'm probably reading far too much into things. Just thought I'd share me theory. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    I was just watching that episode as well, I noticed the Weeping Angels reference as well but kind of went "Hm, that's interesting" but didn't give it much thought. Your theory is intriguing though, especially since
    the two were covering their faces
    in that episode.

By the way, is it just me or did those episodes make much more sense watching them a second time?

I was just watching that episode as well, I noticed the Weeping Angels reference as well but kind of went "Hm, that's interesting" but didn't give it much thought. Your theory is intriguing though, especially since
    the two were covering their faces
    in that episode.

By the way, is it just me or did those episodes make much more sense watching them a second time?

Yeah I picked up a lot more and understood the plot a lot better after re-watching them...still doesn't make the plot any better though. =P

Yeah I picked up a lot more and understood the plot a lot better after re-watching them...still doesn't make the plot any better though. =P

the weeping angels reference was the way they covered their faces, "of old" was referring to how they existed long ago.

as for The Eleventh Hour
    "New voice new rules" sayeth 11, and the opinion of those who saw it is that the agnsty and moody doc is gone and we have a happy doc
    it also appears that 11 abandons Amy for a few years, and she isnt happy about it, but i am not clear if this is a plot line for ep 8 or 1 (i only think one because they mentioned it in the preview of 1 in Heat mag)

Well I did say I was probably reading too much into things. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

Well, I liked it. The first story is always going to be difficult because it has to set up the characters, but I think Matt will work out well.
    Not too sure about the re-vamped theme music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

I liked it.

Should have just
    crashed the TARDIS from the start and none of those hanging shenanigans
    and I don't like that it sounds as though the middle 8 has been taken out of the end theme but those are my only real complaints. Tweed suit DO NOT WANT. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I loved it... Thought it was awesome... Also, is all the discussion gonna be in this thread or will there be separate threads for each episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Also, is all the discussion gonna be in this thread or will there be separate threads for each episode?

There is this one about this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Ok, I'm not sure if this is deserving of a new thread or not but it is related to season 5 and I think of interest.

It contains a spoiler so be warned.

River Song is set to appear in episode 4.

The last time she was in it (the library) she mentions that the doctor opens the tardis with a click of the fingers. DT does this at the end of the episode but the next time (I think) we see it is when Matt Smith opens the tardis at the start of episode 1 this season.

Could this be some foreshadowing for stuff that happens this season, with this being the first time the doctor meets her, and leading to him revealing his real name and giving away a sonic screwdriver.

Alright, but how does she recognise him? I know that Timelords always recognise each other, regardless of their body, but there has been no suggestion that River is a Timelord. If she knows him with Matt's body, why does she recognise DT as her doctor, husband or whatever....
    By the way, did anybody see the Tom Baker interview on Sky Arts? Marvellous,.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure that she did recognise him: I don't recall her mentioning his name. I assumed that this upcoming story was going to show their first adventure & meeting, rather than a "oh it's you" continuation?

I think the next episode is going to be their first meeting (from River's perspective) or if nto then she will have seen him in matt's body before.

As for in the library she sent him a message on the psychic paper (although she didn't mean to send it back as far as she did) and I'm guessing she just presumed it was him because who else could it be in a deserted library?

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm not sure that she did recognise him: I don't recall her mentioning his name. I assumed that this upcoming story was going to show their first adventure & meeting, rather than a "oh it's you" continuation?

No, I meant that she recognised him as DT. I'm presuming that this story is their first meeting from her point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Just found this clip from one of the River Song episodes that explains why the Tardis goes "vroop" when it lands, found it funny :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Love it!

• Advertisement

The entire angle of how she finds 10 so old in Silence of the Library is intresting. When SM wrote it it was not cast in stone (no pun) that DT would be leaving. On the shoot of Silence of the Library he told DT that he was writing fnarg 1 on monday and he needed a decision, he had two different ways of doing it depending on who was the Doctor.

So it wasnt always 11 she was going to meet.

Wonder how that fits in with her knowing all about the Tardis....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

That clip is excellent. Can't wait for this episode now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wait.

The sonic screw driver River had was a modified version of DT's, which is now destroyed... how does he give it to her?

Wibbley wobbley...

Wait.

The sonic screw driver River had was a modified version of DT's, which is now destroyed... how does he give it to her?

Wibbley wobbley...
    Well The Doctor now knows what her one looked like, and since it being similar to DTs he probably knows that it has to look that way for things to go the way they went in SITL, so he makes a new one specially for her perhaps?

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Well The Doctor now knows what her one looked like, and since it being similar to DTs he probably knows that it has to look that way for things to go the way they went in SITL, so he makes a new one specially for her perhaps?

I thought that the screwdriver he has now was the one he gives her. Was that not why Moffat destroyed the old one?

No the one he has now has a green/yellow light and much bigger. The one he gave her was basically his old one with a few extras added to it (I only remember all this because I re-watched those episodes the other night btw, it's not that I have a good memory :p)

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    No the one he has now has a green/yellow light and much bigger. The one he gave her was basically his old one with a few extras added to it (I only remember all this because I re-watched those episodes the other night btw, it's not that I have a good memory :p)

it is the old one with a finger ring, some extra gadgets at the end, a new light setting and the memory chip but in. I have one at home :D.

in a previous story... was it Masque of Madregoria (sp...) the fourth Doctor showed Sarah the old console room, which had an old sonic in it, so maybe he has them lying around.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

it is the old one with a finger ring, some extra gadgets at the end, a new light setting and the memory chip but in. I have one at home :D.

in a previous story... was it Masque of Madregoria (sp...) the fourth Doctor showed Sarah the old console room, which had an old sonic in it, so maybe he has them lying around.

It explodulated!

Anyway there's a million and 1 ways she could have gotten it, but it's fun to notice these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

No, I meant that she recognised him as DT. I'm presuming that this story is their first meeting from her point of view.

She explains that in the latest episode, she has a book with all the doctors she meets in it.

• Advertisement

Hmm, in the DT episode they hinted that she could be his wife, but they've pushed that too far, so she's obviousely not.
    So who is she? Is she a con-artist? Could she possibly be Jenny (or Geni, or however it's spelled)?

Advertisement