Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Who season 5

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    Hmm, in the DT episode they hinted that she could be his wife, but they've pushed that too far, so she's obviousely not.
    So who is she? Is she a con-artist? Could she possibly be Jenny (or Geni, or however it's spelled)?

Well we know from the conversation with the Bishop that she has a dirty secret. Interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

iUseVi wrote: »
    Well we know from the conversation with the Bishop that see has a dirty secret. Interesting.
    A dirty secret involving jailtime. I would possibly think that yes, she's a regeneration of the up-until-now happily forgotten "daughter" of the Doctor, but perhaps some of the dialogue from River Song is a tad too familiar to be his daughter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

just as likely Susan as Jenny, or even possibly the mammy timelord that never got explained but who I like to think is the white Guardian.

EDIT: Still actually think she's just a wifey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

I have been a WHO fan since I was a kid, read most of the books and seen most of the TV but this series is really annoying me. I have really enjoyed the last few incarnations but things like this Doctor just ROARING out loud in anger for no real reason and his new assistant passing comment like she has been around him all her life are just annoying. It is like longer stories (2 episodes?) are being squashed into one episode and we have to suspend our belief.

Yes I am aware that you have to suspend you belief for the WHO but god damn this series is annoying on some levels.

For me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I agree, this series really, really isn't working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I have to agree as well.

It all just seems so rushed to me. Matt Smith seems to be running around, shouting and muttering and generally always hyper, I can't get a read on him. Maybe I miss the quieter moments we got with DT's Doctor. Apart from just a little glimpse of the doubts in his mind that we saw in Amy's Choice, Matt's Doctor just doesn't seem to have any of the lonliness, sorrow, anger or just sheer age.

It's all a bit madcap and doesn't seem to have a soul, if that makes sense?

I don't know, I just can't seem to get 'involved' with this series. I'm watching it, there are bits I like, but it's just not the same for me. Maybe I'm set in my ways!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I think the thing you have to remember that this series is a whole bunch of new things. New Doctor. New companions. New TARDIS. Brand new story arc.

And while yes we've had all this before. The difference between five years ago and now is plain to see. Go and rewatch Season 1 opener: 'Rose' again. It's really quite poor in parts (in comparison to later episodes) and don't get me started on the bins that eat people!

The real difference between then and now is expectations. Let's face it. Expectations for the the new series back in '05 were really low. No one thought it would be as successful as it was.

As for the dodgy CGI this season. It's a fair point. But the reality is that the BBC has been on a massive cost cutting drive and either the budget for the series would have had to go down or there would be no new Who this year. I expect most of the budget has been saved for the finale.

Also as regards there not being a 'heart' or 'soul' to this season, I would have to agree with that in principle but again point to all the 'new stuff' they had to get out of the way first that delayed that momentum. I also think that Moffat is deliberately keeping his cards close to his chest on this one. Which is why I think the second half of this season will once again give us the emotional anchor for this series. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Apolloyon wrote: »
    I think the thing you have to remember that this series is a whole bunch of new things. New Doctor. New companions. New TARDIS. Brand new story arc.

And while yes we've had all this before. The difference between five years ago and now is plain to see. Go and rewatch Season 1 opener: 'Rose' again. It's really quite poor in parts (in comparison to later episodes) and don't get me started on the bins that eat people!

The real difference between then and now is expectations. Let's face it. Expectations for the the new series back in '05 were really low. No one thought it would be as successful as it was.

As for the dodgy CGI this season. It's a fair point. But the reality is that the BBC has been on a massive cost cutting drive and either the budget for the series would have had to go down or there would be no new Who this year. I expect most of the budget has been saved for the finale.

Also as regards there not being a 'heart' or 'soul' to this season, I would have to agree with that in principle but again point to all the 'new stuff' they had to get out of the way first that delayed that momentum. I also think that Moffat is deliberately keeping his cards close to his chest on this one. Which is why I think the second half of this season will once again give us the emotional anchor for this series. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

I won't disagree with what you have said but for me it is not the CGI or a new doctor or any of that. It is just the story telling seems slightly off.

An example of what I meant, and I am pulling this from a now distant memory is :) in the Angel episode 1 there was a bit were that other woman said something like "Doctoror, when have I ever know you to be rude to people" Sarcasticly, and rolled her eyes at Amy, who responded with something like "Yeah like THAT never happens" Que them laughing together.

All I could think was eh... Amy... new... hardly knows the bloke... maybe I am missing something and they have been together for years via time travel.

It has happened a few times and that is why I mentioned suspending my belief in my last post.

Regardless I will always be a fan but just not the most pleased at the moment. I will always give DW the time of day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

All I could think was eh... Amy... new... hardly knows the bloke... maybe I am missing something and they have been together for years via time travel.

As mentioned in the thread about the last episode by more than one person - we dont know how long they have been together. It could be months in their time. And people who are confined like that get to know each other real fast.

How can you watch DR Who without suspending your belief?

Pittens wrote: »

How can you watch DR Who without suspending your belief?

I can :) Just at time it seems "off" to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well we're not yet done with Amy's story line at all, so I wouldn't yet dismiss her over-familiarity just yet as it could play a part in things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

My mother was saying this last night and I was thinking about it as well, so just wondering if anyone else considered it.
    I wonder if the Pandorica is the Gallifreyan version of the Pandora's Box myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    My mother was saying this last night and I was thinking about it as well, so just wondering if anyone else considered it.
    I wonder if the Pandorica is the Gallifreyan version of the Pandora's Box myth?

I just assumed that without really thinking. Whatever it is, I'm willing to bet its awesome anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Ive been watching WHO since the start of the Pertwee era, and I find this series very entertaining myself. Moffat is a very good writer, which helps. His episodes always seem to go past quickly, which is a good sign.

As for Matt Smith....a bold move for sure.But he has done well. Its a young Doctor, a fresh start all round.

Advertisement