Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drivetrain upgrades(road)

Options
  • 20-12-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm changing a few of the bits on my entry level road bike for some better components. Im looking at shimano 105 parts and plan on changing the front and rear derailleurs the front and rear brakes and possibly the crankset. Im just wondering if changing the bottom bracket is a major operation (it works out cheaper to change the bb and the crankset rather then getting a crankset that fits a square taper bb) and if i need to change the cables when i change the derailleurs or brakes. Im pretty good with this kind of thing but does anyone think that this would be best handled by the lbs?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Changing a Bottom Bracket is much easier now a days and anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge could do it. However it does in some cases require expensive tooling so if you only intend on doing it once then I'd recommend the local bike shop. As for replacing it with a 105 model, I would consider an FSA or some other model which you might pick up cheaper.

When replacing the deraileurs and brakes I'd recommend getting some new cable and investing in a good quality set such as Dura Ace cables, they are on the expensive side but really smooth and last a lifetime.

If you buy the parts from a local bike shop then see about getting them fitted as well for an extra few pound. No point in spending money on up-grades if there not fitted correctly as you'll never notice the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jsilke

thanks! i was looking at this or maybe the 105 for around €10 less:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=96

i will probably getting all the bits from chainreactioncycles because they're really cheap and are having a massive sale at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I replaced a 105 chainset (square taper) with one of these ones recently:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35734

Excellent up grade which includes the over size bottom bracket. To fit you'd need the following:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4062

What are you upgrading from and what speed is your current set-up?

im getting rid of my bottom of the pile shimano 2200(8 speed) but im going to hold on to my shifters and casette at the moment because i dont really have the money to change the shifters and to be honest dont really see the need to yet....cheers

any more advice anyone???.....just about to order the parts and said i'd give it one last go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bear in mind that that Ultegra crankset you linked to is two generations old at this point, it's cheap because it's old tech. You would arguably be better off going for, say, a Tiagra external-bearing BB/integrated spindle crankset over the Ultegra Octalink. That crankset at1withmyself linked could be a good bet either and the BB is Shimano-compatible.

As to derailleur upgrades without changing the shifters or cassette you might want to consider where you are going with this, are you ultimately looking to move to 10 speed for example? Not sure if there might be issues with your current chain width for example if you were trying to use an 8 speed chain with 10 speed F&R derailleurs.

well things have changed again and I'm having trouble finding a band-on front derailleur thats 8 speed chain compatible, so i wont be changing that for now. I am still sort of afraid of changing the crankset so i think i'll skip that for now as well. So ill just be changing the rear derailleur and both brakes for now i think! thanks for the help!

Just realised how heavy my wheels are, would i be better just to change them to a set of mavic aksiums that weigh about half what the wheels currently on the bike weigh???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

jsilke wrote: »
    Just realised how heavy my wheels are, would i be better just to change them to a set of mavic aksiums that weigh about half what the wheels currently on the bike weigh???

Aksiums aren't really light weight ... around 1.9Kg for the pair .. Your current pair are probably 2.2Kg (worst case) ... I would stick with them until they break. If you are investing ... go for atleast the Fulcrum 3s or similar to get significant benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I would say that you would feel the benefit of new wheels whereas changing the crankset, derailleurs and brakes would not be noticable. What bike are you riding? How old is it? Are the parts wearing? Throwing money at an entry level bike will not help, best keep it as it is and save for a better specced bike.

• Advertisement

they're a little over 3kg actually, i tested an aksium belonging to a friend of mine just on the front and it gave the bike a much nicer feel.....should i go with wheels or new brakes,a rear derailleur (both shimano 105) and another few bits?

lescol, its a pretty new bike only about 400kms....i don't really have the cash for a better bike and wont for another while being student with no time to work at all....is it just good money after bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

they're a little over 3kg actually

3kg for the wheels alone or ready to go including all the bits? Let just take the Aksiums at 1900g, roughly now...add on 2 x 200g for folding tyres, 2x100g for tubes, ±120g for skewers and ±250g for a cassette. At that rate you are at 2.87kg...not far off what you already have, and if you are running rigid bead, not folding tyres, they are about 100g heavier each so we are talking 3kg+ so no weight savings at all. On such an entry level bike a couple of grams here and there will not make even the slightest of a difference. Believe me, even a couple of hundred grams is barely noticeable!

Don't get caught up on that (weight savings), only upgrade the wheels if your current ones have really had it. As others have said, don't waste your money throwing it at an already basic bike hoping to make it only OK. Save it up and buy a better one which will work out better for you in the long run! I'm not saying to buy a bike here (and I'm not saying you shouldn't either - this is the boards.ie cycling forum you are talking about here and we do have a reputation about buying stuff you know, stuff that really isn't necessary!). I'm just offering advice, and best of luck with it. I hope it all works out well for you. Cheers! ;)

still on platform pedals and ive heard that cleats and shoes make a big difference......would this be money better spent?

still on platform pedals and ive head that cleats and shoes make a big difference......would this be money better spent?

Yes, money much better spent. I believe they are the biggest upgrade you can make to your bike at the moment - most beneficial and best value for money in terms of performance increase! You can get a pedal and shoe setup for €100 or less if you really want. Obviously you can spend way more if you have it!

right thanks a million, just about to order shimano 105 pedals and shimano RO86 shoes both of which have received multiple 5 star reviews on chainreactioncyles....cant wait to give them a spin now!

right thanks a million, just about to order shimano 105 pedals and shimano RO86 shoes both of which have received multiple 5 star reviews on chainreactioncyles....cant wait to give them a spin now!

Cool they both seem pretty good to me. Fair play to you for deciding on them so quick. If that was me now I'd be making my mind up on which ones to go for for around a month and finding the cheapest place to get them for around another month after that (slight exaggeration but you get the point, hopefully!)

P.S. The only thing I would say is that maybe you should try on a pair of similar Shimano shoes in a local shop to see how they fit and help you choose size wise. However, CRC do have a very good returns policy and you could take a gamble with the size and take the risk of having to pay an extra couple of euro to have them sent back up North for a different size! It up to you.

(And please try them out indoors before using them. Also, at traffic lights and coming to a stop etc, just remember. An embarrassing beginners "forgot to clip out" moment is inevitable but that has happened to us all and it is truly hilarious, if you don't hurt yourself too much. I'm not trying to put you off getting them or anything, fire away, its all good after that! I was told a 33% increase in efficiency when I first bought mine, I'm not sure if that is true or not or how accurate it is! I suppose it depends on the individuals pedaling style. ;) Best of luck and happy clipless cycling! You will never look back.

i have of such increases as well but maybe not as much as 33%, its too late to try them on im afraid because ive already placed the order but im pretty confident that they'll fit! thanks again you've been a big help!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

It sounds like you have been given some money to spend on cycling:)

The pedals/shoes you will notice big time. Practice unclipping before the first ride, even though, as pointed out,you will have your clipless moment (mine was next to a coach full of tourists:o). Leave all the other stuff until you know what you want out of cycling, go riding with a club, do a few sportives, drool over what the other guys are riding. You'll still find yourself able to keep up and there'll be other entry level bikes around. Get the miles (kms for the young) in and enjoy cycling.

Advertisement