Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need a new digital compact camera

• 20-12-2009 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This is my first time posting in this forum I believe, please forgive any errors!

I've had two Samsung L830 cameras, liked both, broke both :( It did all I needed, took decent quality photos in lower light and at night, took decent people and scenery photos too, to my eye anyway.

I don't think they make those models anymore, well, I see three second hand ones on Amazon but I'd be skinned alive by the GF if I bought a second hand one :D

I don't want to spend more than €200, less would be better. I'd like at least 5x optical zoom and 8mp or higher, rechargeable battery is a must decent life would be good, compact camera. Not really sure what else is a must, I'm a point a clicker :o I'm afraid.

As I say the little Samsung done all I needed it to, maybe that will help guide recommendations.

All help received gratefully!

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Panasonic Lumix DMCFS15EBK 12MP Black Camera. 559/1741 Save €70.00 €179
    12 mega pixels.
    Body material aluminium.
    Leica lens.
    5 x zoom lens.
    Wide angle 29mm.
    5 x optical zoom.
    Internal memory 50Mb.
    2.7in LCD screen.
    Mega optical image stabiliser.
    Face detection - 15 faces.
    Continuous shooting, stills 1.8 fps/motion 30fps.
    Memory card format SD/SDHC.
    Movie capture with sound.
    Maximum ISO range 1600.
    27 scene modes.
    Self timer.
    Built-in flash.
    USB connection.
    PictBridge compatible.
    Accessories included AC/DC/USB cable, AC adaptor/CD-ROM and strap.
    Lithium Ion battery supplied.
    Depth of the camera when shut 2.17cm
    In Argos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

johngalway wrote: »

I've had two Samsung L830 cameras, liked both, broke both :( It did all I needed, took decent quality photos in lower light and at night, took decent people and scenery photos too, to my eye anyway.

johngalway wrote: »
    I don't want to spend more than €200, less would be better. I'd like at least 5x optical zoom and 8mp or higher, rechargeable battery is a must decent life would be good, compact camera. Not really sure what else is a must, I'm a point a clicker :o I'm afraid.

I am not going to reccommend a particular camera. There is a Sticky above which may assist with the comparisions.

In the quotes above I have put in Bold something which you may not be aware. Many consumers still think that the more MP's you get the better the camera. That used to be somewaht true when the sensors were 1MP or 2 MP. There is a strong case that the optimum size for a copmpact sensor is about 6MP. After you exceed that the Pixel Density starts to introduce more Noise into the photo's. This may be why your old Samsung did OK in low light. My compact is a Canon with 12.1MP sensor & that is way too much. It has noise issues above ISO400.

In the cheaper models I have heard that the Sensor Resolution exceeds the Resolution on the cheaper Lenses used & as such is no benefit. It does allow sales people to talk up models when they know SFA about photography & also certain types of people to play the "Mines bigger than Yours" game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I agree, I used to have a 6MP Fuji and a 9MP Pentax with all sorts of wireless transfer modes and everything.... the Fuji took much much much better photos.

Advertisement