Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA announce Moral Compensation

• 20-12-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

John Delaney on Sports Awards on RTE. He says that FIFA asked that they attend their awards ceremony tomorrow night and accept a FIFA Fair Play award. FAI have declined it. Feckin FIFA are having a right laugh at us still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

FIFA are absolutely infuriating and have to be one of the worst WORLD organisations around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

deisedevil wrote: »
    Feckin FIFA are having a right laugh at us still.

Can't blame them to be honest.

The FAI's handling over the whole situation was a complete embarrasment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Please don't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

FIFA do crack me up

those bunch of jokers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Can't blame them to be honest.

The FAI's handling over the whole situation was a complete embarrasment.

Completely agree! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This is ****ing stupid.

Ireland shouldnt be getting a fair play award. They did what most of the other nations did. Just because they were robbed does't mean they should get a fair play award.

Its like a slap in the face imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Ugh. Jesus. Shame. Misery. Anger. Surging forth. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    This is ****ing stupid.

Ireland shouldnt be getting a fair play award. They did what most of the other nations did. Just because they were robbed does't mean they should get a fair play award.

Its like a slap in the face imo

It's just FIFA having a laugh at the FAI for their ridiculous actions following the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It's just FIFA having a laugh at the FAI for their ridiculous actions following the match.

Wasn't it brought up in the Dail also?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Wasn't it brought up in the Dail also?

They tried to use it to deflect from their open short comings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well granted the FAI's reaction to it was pretty pathetic as was the whole marching and all that crap but FIFA, and in particular Blatter, handled it in a really unprofessional way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

We should have accepted it and then in our acceptance speech dedicated it to Henry and the French.team, Give Fifa a taste of its own medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

This all got boring a longgggg time ago zzzz, which it would just be given over about.

The Muppet wrote: »
    We should have accepted it and then in our acceptance speech dedicated it to Henry and the French.team, Give Fifa a taste of its own medicine.

Your dead right, would have been a right laugh. Just like Charlize Theron. I'd say they wouldn't leave Delaney make a speech though.

Smegball wrote: »
    This all got boring a longgggg time ago zzzz, which it would just be given over about.

We Irish have a habit of not letting by gones be by gones so it'll roll on forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

We Irish have a habit of not letting by gones be by gones so it'll roll on forever!

i guess we'll have about 900 years of this one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Joe said it best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

what did they do?

RGDATA! wrote: »
    what did they do?

Read the first post to find out more.

Offered Ireland a Fair Play award. Proper piss taking at it's very best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They should accept it...and as Blatter is handing it over, call over the nearest waiter and ask him to dump it and then walk off..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Read the first post to find out more.

Offered Ireland a Fair Play award. Proper piss taking at it's very best!

i meant to what did the FAI do that justified FIFA taking the piss like they have. i don't see how the FAI have handled this that badly. the idea of a 33 man WC was daft but was suggested "in confidence", something that was mentioned in the context of an objection. fifa went public with it to make us look stupid, not the fai

RGDATA! wrote: »
    i meant to what did the FAI do that justified FIFA taking the piss like they have. i don't see how the FAI have handled this that badly. the idea of a 33 man WC was daft but was suggested "in confidence", something that was mentioned in the context of an objection. fifa went public with it to make us look stupid, not the fai

Ah right, sorry I misunderstood.

Well I agree FIFA had no right making it public but that doesn't take away from the fact that the FAI asked that Ireland be put through as a 33rd team, that was prett daft as you say. It doesn't mean FIFA should be having a laugh at our expense but what would you expect in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i think its time to disband the FAI:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Headshot wrote: »
    FIFA do crack me up

those bunch of jokers :D

I'd love to attend a FAI and FIFA meeting, both a pack of clueless muppets.

I'd love to attend a FAI and FIFA meeting, both a pack of clueless muppets.

I always wondered and maybe someone can answer it. How are the FAI board elected and do the public have any say whatsoever in it? Is it the club boards that have a say or where does it come from? Are they untouchables that elect from themselves or what?

I always wondered and maybe someone can answer it. How are the FAI board elected and do the public have any say whatsoever in it? Is it the club boards that have a say or where does it come from? Are they untouchables that elect from themselves or what?
    The FAI has an Executive Committee of five unpaid members under the President, as well as a paid administrative staff led by the General Secretary Joe Murphy'. There is also a General Council of delegates who vote at the AGM. As well as the senior clubs, the General Council includes delegates from a variety of affiliated organizations:[1]

Provincial FAs for Leinster, Munster, Connacht and Ulster (the last only for the 3 Ulster counties not in Northern Ireland).
    Separate education associations for primary schools, secondary schools, universities, and other third-level institutes
    Junior (i.e. non-League) league football
    Women's FAI
    Referees
    Defence Forces
    Recent changes have been made to the organizational structure following the publication of the "Genesis II" report of 2005. This includes the reorganization of the national football league system as the League of Ireland, in line with the recommendations.

Wikipedia is your friend. Probably about the only thing that came out of the Genesis report.

Wikipedia is your friend. Probably about the only thing that came out of the Genesis report.

Thanks for that, I feel lazy now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    FIFA are absolutely infuriating and have to be one of the worst WORLD organisations around.

Very true, they even make the boxing alphabet soup boys look good.
    Top of FIFA's agenda must be to ruin the sport of football, they must be almost universally hated at this satge.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Please don't do this.

x2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It doesn't mean FIFA should be having a laugh at our expense but what would you expect in fairness.

From the world governing body of one of the most popular sports on the planet I'd expect:
    1. A bit of respect and class re keeping private conversations private and not using the issues raised in them to publicly mock and deride their members.
    2. A bit of common sense and maturity to realise that offering us the fair play award is just adding insult to injury and, more importantly, is such a ridiculously hollow and ironic gesture that it makes a laughing stock out of the sport.

Blattar really is a miserable excuse for a human being.

From Irish people I'd expect a bit of cop on, to realise that the FAI didn't do anything wrong by trying every angle they could think of when having a PRIVATE INFORMAL discussion with FIFA on the matter.

The fatalism and dumb acceptance that so man people have expressed in this situation disgusts me tbh.

Pro. F wrote: »
    From the world governing body of one of the most popular sports on the planet I'd expect:
    1. A bit of respect and class re keeping private conversations private and not using the issues raised in them to publicly mock and deride their members.
    2. A bit of common sense and maturity to realise that offering us the fair play award is just adding insult to injury and, more importantly, is such a ridiculously hollow and ironic gesture that it makes a laughing stock out of the sport.

Blattar really is a miserable excuse for a human being.

From Irish people I'd expect a bit of cop on, to realise that the FAI didn't do anything wrong by trying every angle they could think of when having a PRIVATE INFORMAL discussion with FIFA on the matter.

The fatalism and dumb acceptance that so man people have expressed in this situation disgusts me tbh.

What I meant was what else would you expect from FIFA.

I agree with you completely about FIFA, your points 1 and 2 are spot on. FAI asking for us to be included as a 33rd team was pathetic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What I meant was what else would you expect from FIFA.
    Ah cool, fair enough. We agree on that.
    I agree with you completely about FIFA, your points 1 and 2 are spot on. FAI asking for us to be included as a 33rd team was pathetic though.
    If you think about it though, we don't know the context that it was mentioned in. For all we know Delany and Blatter were having a raging argument when Delany brought it up out of exasperation. Who knows. Either way, it's a tiny, inconsequential issue when compared to the on pitch incident itself and to this insulting offer of a fair play award imho.

Ps i do loath the FAI just like any sensible person would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

John Delaney on Sports Awards on RTE. He says that FIFA asked that they attend their awards ceremony tomorrow night and accept a FIFA Fair Play award. FAI have declined it. Feckin FIFA are having a right laugh at us still.

HAHA.

In fairness if they are making a joke out of Ireland you got to admit that is pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

FIFA giving another two fingers to the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

We should have accepting it and having an open top bus from the airport to the park celebrating like crazy. Ireland winning something!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone else think the name of the award is quite ironic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anyone else think the name of the award is quite ironic?
    Yep.

"The FIFA Fairplay (you got shafted) Award"

or they could call it the "Brian Kerr Award"

It's the irony award that keeps on giving........

Delaney calling Blattter "an embarrassment", the irony is too much for I tell ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

is there a source for this story or link anyone?

is there a source for this story or link anyone?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1221/delaneyj.html

No link when I posted it, I had just seen him on The Sports Awards last night when I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Delaney Out!

Advertisement