Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 cant see 2 identical external usb drives

• 20-12-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

Problem: I have 2 identical 500gb iomega external usb HD's. one is brand new and empty. i want to transfer all my media from one drive to the other. however when both drives are plugged in and on, windows 7 will see one but not both. its happening with both my machines (desktop and laptop) all my usb ports are 2.0 and not powered from a hub (desktop is a pci card)

i dont have enough HD space on either of my machines to dump all my media there as a temp measure, so i really need W7 to see both drives.

help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,020 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it can see either drive or just one particular drive? youve tried all possible USB connections?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

right click on one of the drivers and rename it

you may also be drawing too much power , yes it's up to 500mA per port but it doesn't mean the mother board can supply 500mA to all the ports all the time

try using ports as far apart on the machine as you can

when you eject the drives, tick the box to show all the letters and stuff in case you've missed

only if all else fails go in to disk management and assign a drive letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Problem: I have 2 identical 500gb iomega external usb HD's. one is brand new and empty.
    Have you partitioned and formatted the new empty one?
    If not it won't show up under 'My Computer'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Gurgle wrote: »
    Have you partitioned and formatted the new empty one?
    If not it won't show up under 'My Computer'.

I didnt, but if i just plug in the new drive it sees it fine. if i just plug in the old one it sees it fine. if i plug in both it sees whatever one was plugged in first.

the old drive is renamed.

i have trie every combination of usb ports on both machines (laptop has one on rear, one on left, and two on right) desktop has 3 on pci card.

both drives have their own power supply.

i really cant figure it out...

This is an odd problem that shouldnt be arising yet but iirc 32 bit OSs cant see more than 4 Terabytes of Storage. If youre over that limit that could be the issue. Or maybe that was 4tb per partition. nvm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

So you have 2 W7 machines, the easiest way that I can see for this, would be to plug 1 hd into each of the machines. and transfer the data over the network.

I know that it would be very slow, but I don't see another way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

only if all else fails go in to disk management and assign a drive letter

^^^^^ What he said

When you plug in the drives on their own, do they use the same drive letter? If so one of them wont show up when they are both plugged in at the same time.

Use disk management tool to change the letter for one of them. I had a similiar issue at work once, when a new network drive was using the same letter as an external drive I was using.

Alternatively (I apologise in advance for using the L word in here), use a Linux boot CD and both should be mounted automatically on the desktop for you to copy your data between them without any drive letter issues.

/T

ok, so i ran disk management and have the following screengrab.

C is of course my OS, which is on an internal 120gb IDE
    D/E is a single 120gb IDE internal partitioned for files.
    I is the current USB external.
    the offline drive below I is what appears when i switch on the new drive, the curious thing is: i powered on the current drive to check its letter (I) then powered it down. I then powered up the new drive to assign it its own letter (J) and then also powered it down. powering up the old drive again and windows is now calling it J!

so i went back and renamed the old drive I, left it powered on and then powered on the new one, which is when i took the grab.

so how do i solve this "signature collision"?

Did you click 'Help'?

Gurgle wrote: »
    Did you click 'Help'?

Ashamedly no, as i've found windows "help" to be less than helpful in the past. but perhaps 7 is different. i'll give it a go when i get home from work.

• Advertisement

Ashamedly no, as i've found windows "help" to be less than helpful in the past. but perhaps 7 is different. i'll give it a go when i get home from work.
    Unfortunately its no better.
    I think it happened to me once that there was actually something helpful in the 'problem fixer wizard'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

At that point you need to contact Iomega. There may be a firmware change you need or some other method they have for this fix.

yep! i never thought of right clicking on "offline" in disk management, as it didnt look like a link.

done!

thanks guys!

Advertisement