Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Week in Politics: Patrick Honahan

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jmayo wrote: »
    ... Call me cynical, but I don't see how appointing one guy to the top of a totally inept organisation that are historically so beholden to the very people they are meant to regulate will make the necessary huge differences.
    If Honohan starts culling entire departments with the CB I will be happy.
    Anyway how much influence will he have in the useless spawn of the CB, the IFSRA ?
    That organisation should be shelved entirely and at it's previous heads brought to court for negligence and treason.
    Yes he is massive improvement in what went before, but changing one figurehead is not enough I believe...

What it seems to boil down to is that you want blood on the carpet, and want it even more than you want things put in good order. Your call for prosecutions for treason sounds like something from Stalin's regime.

The orderly way to set about repairing things is to get the institutions working in the proper way, not to scrap them and try to build new institutions. I am quite willing to believe that there is a reservoir of skill and experience in the CB and the IFSRA which, if properly directed, could take the appropriate steps. My first impression is that Honohan has the credentials and the character to give it that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

jmayo wrote: »
    What I fail to get is how both yourself and flame diver are both so in love with the guy.

It is because of his past experience and research. It only takes two seconds to Google his name and see all of this. Give it a try.

I (and many others) jokingly refer to him as a "legend" because he is such a great bloke who is very approachable (unlike most lecturers) and his lectures are full of quips and giggles, making them fun, yet you learn so much. He is an extremely knowledgeable person when it comes to banking, yet he is not a product of the banking system, meaning that he is free of the bias and allegiances one would otherwise undoubtedly arrive with. He is not just some academic banking theorist, but also has written extensively on the history of banking, it's crises and their determinants. In addition to this, he spent many years at the World Bank as a Senior Advisor, and has published several papers (one with Joseph Stiglitz), criticising policy where financial markets that are under-regulated.

There isn't enough space here to list his record, so here ya go:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~phonohan/cv.pdf

Just to let you know, I am completely uninterested in your response, as it will undoubtedly be a load of grammatically incorrect gibberish. I merely post this for the benefit of others, so you can save yourself the effort.

Advertisement