Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 Conversion Kits

Options
  • 21-12-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Has anyone managed to get a 22 adapter for a centrefire pistol without a separate licence?

The rationale would be similar to separate calibre barrels for rifles - theoretically components of one firearm rather than firearms in their own right. Of course a lot of people end up needing separate licences. Has the alternative been achieved?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't see how you could. With a rifle you can have spare barrels of the same caliber without an extra license but if you wanted a different caliber it would require a new license to cover you to not only have the barrel but to purchase the ammo for it.

Same would (i imagine) apply to any caliber change in a pistol. If you had a 9mm and needed a new, replacement or spare barrel you are already licensed for it but with a .22 conversion kit its a different caliber and ammo hence different license. I'm only speaking from opinion not experience. Would be interesting to see if it could be done, but i very much doubt it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

A seperate licence would be required and there is nothing to say that you will if your pistol looks dangerous !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd be pretty sure a second licence would be needed for the second calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm well aware that generally people have been told they need a separate licence. What I'm getting at do thay legally? There is only one firearm. A separate barrel, even if it's a different calibre is still only a component part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

civdef wrote: »
    I'm well aware that generally people have been told they need a separate licence. What I'm getting at do thay legally? There is only one firearm. A separate barrel, even if it's a different calibre is still only a component part.

How would you buy ammunition?

By extending the same logic, a barrelled action is only a component part, so why would I need a different licence if I want to use only one stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yet OTOH,a combination gun[shotgun /rifle] only requires one liscense,[or did in my case,mileage may vary on this in the future].That was for the rifle calibre,as it was the more expensive.But it did allow me to purchase shotgun ammo as well.So it should be theorticlly possible to do this with a CF and adapter kit as well.It could sort out alot of problems for folks methinks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Regarding different stocks, the firearm is the receiver - as I understand it, so barrelled actions would be separate firearms.

As for buying ammunition, the system could just record multiple calibres. Presumably PULSE has the capability to add new ammunition types (one never can tell though) so a calibre of "9mm / .22lr" could be created to describe conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Have you tried phoning the firearms policy unit? 016661911

Was hoping to have some precedents found out before doing that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

What about your local firearms dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

A shotgun/rifle combination is listed on the FCA1 form as a firearm in it's own right. Switching calibres with a rifle or pistol is completely different as there is the possibility of having both a restricted and non-restricted firearm at the same time (such as with the Walther GSP for example).

The firearms act has a pretty broad definition of what a firearm is, so there's no 'grey area' where dual actions/calibres are concerned. Have two calibres, then you have two firearms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

civdef wrote: »

If you were to get a conversion kit, you would have to import it as i don't think anyone stocks them in Ireland. An Article 7 would be needed and an import license. To obtain either of these documents you must have the respective licenses, so if you had the 9mm license great but its the .22 license you need to import. Without it you could not get it. So i think it still stands that even though it would only be 1 firearm "at a time" an individual license for each caliber would be required.

Anyone here have a Sako quad? I know its not a pistol but with the interchangeable barrels of different calibers it would be a similar situation. Did you have to get individual licenses for each caliber barrel? If so it would stand to reason you need a license for each caliber of firearm you intend to shoot (with a pistol), irrespective of the amount of firearms the bullets are fired from (does that make sense, i don't think that reads as i meant it)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

rrpc wrote: »
    A shotgun/rifle combination is listed on the FCA1 form as a firearm in it's own right. Switching calibres with a rifle or pistol is completely different as there is the possibility of having both a restricted and non-restricted firearm at the same time (such as with the Walther GSP for example).

What about a Vierling then??? Thats a dbbl,a large cal single[restricted] and a small .22 cal[unrestricted]:D:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    What about a Vierling then??? Thats a dbbl,a large cal single[restricted] and a small .22 cal[unrestricted]:D:D:D:D

Isn't a vierling a four-barrelled gun? I thought that's what the name meant, in the same way as a drilling is a three-barrelled gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Re-reading your post - you mean 2 x same shotgun calibre plus two different rifle calibres, don't you? So 4-barrelled is correct - yes?

Got it in one.:D But a vierling can be four barrels of the same calibre as well.Or Four single different calibres,or as you said two same calibres in a shotgun with two different or equal rifle calibres...
    Now sort that one out for a liscensing here under our system....Would your FAO like some Prozac??:eek:

Advertisement