Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Bikes in Cork?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

I will be studying in Cork this Spring term at UCC. I am an avid biker from a great city for biking [Chicago, USA] and it is too hard to accept that I simply wont ride a bike for a whole term. So, I have looked into ways to ride in Cork [plus I hear that Cork and the surrounding area can be a good city for it]!

I am looking into renting a bike for the term. Can anyone tell me where I can do this for a good price.
    - OR -
    As this could get quite costly, can anyone suggest a better option for me?

Thanks,
    Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Rothar on Barrack St. do exactly the kinda renting you are thinking of. Nice man too!

edit: and whoever told you cork was a good city for cycling was having a laugh! wait ti you meet Patricks hill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd consider buying second hand and selling it on again before you go back home. It would probably work out cheaper in the long run. Try the adverts section here or gumtree.ie for good deals. I'm sure if you look after a good used bike you wouldn't lose much money in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CiaranShghnssy

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MedlyObsidian

Shoot, are you me?! I was just about to come here and ask the same question! I'll be at UCC for a short term over the summer. I've done some research and pretty much everywhere I've seen that hires is really expensive, especially if you're going for a long period of time.

Personally, I'm going to just try and make a friend who has a bike they don't use and rent from them. That or try to find one used and then sell back, like you were saying.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of these supposedly brutal hills! But I'm used to biking in the city Lance Armstrong trains in. Actually know of a guy who almost ran him over once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Check out the cycling forum here and introduce yourself, also adverts to buy a second hand one. Cork is only one hour from Ballyhoura and other great MTB trails, (€40 will get you a rockhopper for a day). Plenty of clubs in the city too so all tastes catered for, bring your skills and enjoy the spins;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement