Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight Answers for Clear Cut Monitor

Options
  • 21-12-2009 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I am in the market for a monitor possibly 2 (atm) for eyefinity setup at some stage. Here are the dilemas that face me.

1. 22" are considerably cheaper than 24" making it a easier choice for eyeinfinity.

2. Converse of point 1, 24" would be better for a single mointor setup but considerably more expesnive than single 22".

3. There is too many monitors on the market which is driving me mad.

Would like to get a 1920x1080 res monitor with good response for gaming and decent colours and at a nice price. Been sufring many sites such as ebuyer, overclockers, komplett... but its difficult when I find a monitor which looks like a good deal to determine if it is actually any good.

This becomes increasingly difficult since there is so many models, variaions, brands and not so many clear review and which one is the best unlike something such as a CPU cooler.

I found www.digitalversus.com to be of some use in comparing but am still quite miffed as what direction i should do.

I know i have listed any exact monitors i was thinking about but was wondering if people could give me some advice on what monitor to get from their own experience and knowledge.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

just for safe side, if your going to use eyefinity, you will need 2 monitor's with dvi input, and 1 monitor with a display port input.

only certain gpu's have a display port connection on them too.

i was also looking at this setup, and dell.ie have a decent 22" monitor with display port but its 220 euro delivered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'm still trying to work out why AMD decided to adopt Apple's craptastic proprietary standard as it will nix Eyefinity for a lot of people; they just don't have the time, money and/or inclination to get an adapter kit or a monitor with integrated DisplayPort. Shooting in footsies? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'm still trying to work out why AMD decided to adopt Apple's craptastic proprietary standard as it will nix Eyefinity for a lot of people; they just don't have the time, money and/or inclination to get an adapter kit or a monitor with integrated DisplayPort. Shooting in footsies? :rolleyes:

Tis royalty free and I'm sure it's all a big conspiracy to get people to buy new expensive tech :D

(HDMI cost $0.04 cent per device + $10,000 a year according to wikipedia)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Anyhow the kind of buyer who buys into eyefinity is prob the kind of person who won't blink at paying for x3 new monitors with at least x1 that supports Display port.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If you have the money I'd say have a look at the Dell monitors, its about the only thing they are good for. Also I wouldnt bother with eyefinity when your only using 2 monitors, unless you have some specific wish to watch a movie stretched over two screens and a big gap in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Have been looking at getting a single 22" monitor myself for the last 2 weeks and the best one i found in my price range was the BenQ G2200HD. You can get if from ebuyer for about €140 delivered or elara for €150 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

farna_boy wrote: »
    Have been looking at getting a single 22" monitor myself for the last 2 weeks and the best one i found in my price range was the BenQ G2200HD. You can get if from ebuyer for about €140 delivered or elara for €150 delivered.

I got a BenQ G2420 a couple of weeks ago and i'm very impressed with it so i would deffo agree that the G2200HD is worth looking at.I had an Acer 22" and i had never realised how "dull" it was until now.

I used this site http://www.all-monitors.com/ as its very useful to compare specs when you narrow down your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

Ok, after much searching I have narrowed into down to a few candidates.

Samsung Syncmaster P2450H - not too keen on this due to bad reviews but could be swaded.

Benq G2420HD - as mentioned by previous poster as being quality monitor and seems to very popular buy for many people.

LG W2261VP-PF - As recieved many good reviews

Any input will be very helpful here, both would be approximately the same price and there is a difference of 2 inches between them.

Thx for your help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

There are 4 LCD manufacturers in the world, one of them is owned by Samsung the rest are companies you never heard of, LG/Sony/everyone else get their panels from the other 3 and based on quality take whichever panels.

Bottom line is generally Samsung have the best panels on average for the price, Sony charge a premium for basically a panel of similar quality and LG charge a lower cost. Thats not to say all Samsungs are great, they've outsourced ones in the past but their S panels( available on the box ID, sticker on panel or in the OSD ) were the best. I dont know if the still put S for their own manufactured panels or not. I have 3 S panels from them all great.

I have 3 panels, no DP, but im just waiting for Saphires cheapo effort adapter which is to arrive on the market soon.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

I got this monitor last week. It's perfect. No DVI though.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3871551/art/viewsonic/va2213w-22-tft-screen-5-m.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dell monitors < all !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Anti wrote: »
    Dell monitors < all !

Is that the wrong way round or are you actually suggesting the ONE thing Dell makes well is crap?

Advertisement