Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about new noodle bar?

Options
  • 21-12-2009 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the new noodle place on Eyre Square(where Abra Kebabra was).

I couldn't find a website or a menu posted anywhere and I was just wondering about what kind of place it is-

-Will it be more take away geared or kind of Wagamama styled?

-What kind of money will we have to shell out? Bad time for another over-priced restaurant to open, it will probably only survive if it has peoples light wallets in mind.

-Is the food any good?

Just some curiosity from a hungry noodle fiend.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

The only thing I've heard about it is it's called Street Wok. Passed by it yesterday and thought about going in but didn't. Couldn't find any menu's posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

from what i hear its going to be very decent about 5-7 euro for a big pot of food, lots of choice and the food is supposed to very decent, hope that helps;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

All I've got to throw into the mix is...would it fu**ing kill them to put up a menu?! No idea what you can get, no menu's inside and none above the counter either..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I love noodles. It will make a nice change from burger and chips.

I'd say it should do well once the price is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

€5 for Noodles and Rice, was in today, very yum indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

For a start they are breaking the law by not having a menu/price list posted at or viewable from the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunno, I could see prices from outside the door, you just have to stand there for a while for the whole thing to go through their screens thing.

Seems to me their colour-scheme is a bit like these folks: http://www.street-wok.com/ ... wonder if they're related ... as a monoglot, I've got no idea what their site actually sez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

For a start they are breaking the law by not having a menu/price list posted at or viewable from the entrance.

No they're not. I think... no really, are they? Never heard of that one. Is it even enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Was in this afternoon after days of curiousity growth. Didn't know what i was eating (i asked to be surprised), noodles or something. It was about 7 quid and crap.

Yanks i believe, the proprieters (sic) that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

m83 wrote: »
    No they're not. I think... no really, are they? Never heard of that one. Is it even enforced?

Yep same as a pub. Price list has to be displayed at entrance. Dunno about enforcement tho. Think I remember a couple of pubs getting done a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm not even a bit noodle eater, but might give this a shot.

But what do you get *in* the noodles? I'm hearing prices of 5euro and 7euro on these forums... for that price i'd expect to be filled up and to have some meat in it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

I have just come from street wok. Talk about a joke of a place; I didn't see sign of a NODDLE or WOK in the place:eek:

Its the first noddle bar I've been in that didn't serve noddles! Yeah thats right when placing my order I was told as my base I could choose rice or err....... rice. :confused:

On top of this only about half of the toppings, as they were calling them, were available to choose from.

Just to counter anyone saying "give 'em a chance, sure their only after opening..." this was at 7.30 on a Tuesday evening, not exactly Ladies day Race week.
    And whatever about having half the toppings on offer, surely when your ordering the supplies for your noddle bar you'd remember to actually order noddles.

They were advertising in the paper how your order is cooked in minute and here's how they do it;If your expect to see your meal being flung up into the air from a flaming wok be prepared for your second disappointment. All the food is prepared and served for the type of hot plate seen in any filling station around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Decided to try this place for lunch today. Let's just say I won't be going back.

€5 for a pot of food is a bargain alright. But if the food is absolutely disgusting then you may as well be throwing money up into the air.

The only way I could describe it, is to imagine the worst Chinese take away you've ever had, reheat it after a couple of days, and serve it up.

Real pity too, as I really wanted to like it, was looking forward to it. Such a niche in the market for a place like this, but it comes up well short.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I had it too, last week, and for what I paid I was adequetely satisfied with the quality of food. I got a noodle base and then some spicy beef on top. Certainly not the best, and had I paid the going rate in a normal chinese restaurant I would have asked for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Was also in there when they had run out of noodle's, didn't bother me as I was starving... Got the salmon teriyaki, was delicious, talked to the owner and got free seconds plus chips.

give 'em a chance, sure their only after opening...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I popped in too for a bite to eat last Friday and will not be going back.
    I got the satay chicken and noodles.

1. Not Freshly cooked.
    2. I think I found one piece of chicken in it.
    3. The counter and kitchen were filthy.
    4. The staff didn't seem to know what dish they were serving ( can forgive them as it's new)
    5. 8 Euro for a noodle dish and a coke !!!!! Same price as a half decent chinese takeaway.
    6. oh and the sauce was mank too.
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Lads I can't get over this whole "ah sure it's new, give them a chance" sort of attitude. You don't open up a business without perfecting the art of that business. It's bad practice. They should have had adequate training prior to opening, especially in the food industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

the only time i went in there was on new years day.. was feeling a tad on the rough side so took a wander to get some fresh air.. seen that the noodle place was open so went in to get a take away menu and have a look.. lets just say first impressions really do make a difference and i defo wouldnt be rushing back..
    your man behind the counter looked like he had just rolled out of bed and in the shop door(will forgive him though given the day that was in it) ,had long hair straggled down infront of his face,could barely left his head when i asked him a question! bascially he said there was no menu as of yet cause they were only opened. the food in behind the counter looked like it was in dirty trays and the shop itself just looked dirty.

didnt buy anything never the less.. just walked out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Had lunch a few days ago there. Don't think I'll be going back there in a long time. It was cheap (8 Euro for a lot of Sweet & Sour Pork and Rice) is good value but the quality of the actual food left a lot to be desired. The fact that all of the dishes were premade was also a put off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

O well; they're the foolish ones I guess. A decent noodle bar would clean up in Galway. Shame they don't realize this:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I had one look in there last night. I don't think I could chance anything from there to be honest. Thanks for the heads up everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Damn. I was really hoping for a nice noodles place. I love pad thai....

At least I got the headsup from boards before wasting time/money/stomach lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I have had it a few times i think its very decent for the price, i cant understand some of the attitudes here, in my opinion its very decent grub for a good price, someone was on about chinese food... fk me most chinese food in galway is utter crap, i say try it at least make your own mind up, i dont worry about what other people think:cool: especially online..

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Was out last night and had it on the way home. Its not bad for drunken food but i'll have to give it a go sober! You can taste all the different things before making up your mind on what you want. It aint Asian food at its finest but sure beats the usual burger and chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I have had it a few times i think its very decent for the price, i cant understand some of the attitudes here, in my opinion its very decent grub for a good price, someone was on about chinese food... fk me most chinese food in galway is utter crap, i say try it at least make your own mind up, i dont worry about what other people think:cool: especially online..

Well, there's been 4 positive (or at least more positive than negative) reviews, and 6 negative reviews. I didn't count yours because I smell a rat.

I'd say for a restaurant/takeaway, 10 separate reviews over a period of a couple of weeks is a fair sample.

Added to that is the fact that many of those who posted, I trust a whole heck of a lot more than I trust you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Was in there once with a friend. Ordered the big box and got sticky beef and noodles. The first letdown was the fact that they didn't have the noodles that were advertised in their posters (yellow, round - you know, noodles!). Instead I was given these soft, mushy, white and flat "noodles" that were reminiscent of bad tagliatelle. That said, the dish was very tasty and I'd definitely go back.

I too was taken aback by the pre-prepared food in the hot-counter style setup. That said, I was in there early and all the containers were full so they were evidently fresh. I miss the old wok counter in Dunnes in Eyre Square Centre where you could tell them what you wanted and they'd "wok it up" for you in three minutes. Dead fresh and cheaper than Street Wok too :/

I think I paid about €6 or €7 for the big box and a drink on top was another €2. Seems a bit expensive when I can get a plate of sausages and chips in Lynch's for about €4 with the discount :/

Still, tasty and different. Thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This isn't the place where Abrakebabra used to be is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does anyone remember when there was a big Supervalu in the Eyre Square centre underneath Penneys? They had a really nice noodle bar that I still miss when Im hungry for something cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

HoPpiE wrote: »
    I believe so.

Well if it is, that's my sisters friends dad running that place. They aren't american either, they are Welsh...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement