Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lacquer on plywood? novice here

Options
  • 21-12-2009 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

putting together a box structure with veneered plywood, was thinking about an oak style veneer maybe. I'm also getting the sheet cut down to size in the builders merchant. i'd like to be able to make a feature of the side profile "sandwich" of the plywood too. I"m hoping to give give it a clear varnish coating also to make it look good. Just looking for advice on what clear varnish product to use for veneered plywood, and any particular method i should use to apply it. Just to remind you i'm a complete novice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

putting together a box structure with veneered plywood, was thinking about an oak style veneer maybe. I'm also getting the sheet cut down to size in the builders merchant. i'd like to be able to make a feature of the side profile "sandwich" of the plywood too. I"m hoping to give give it a clear varnish coating also to make it look good. Just looking for advice on what clear varnish product to use for veneered plywood, and any particular method i should use to apply it. Just to remind you i'm a complete novice!

An oak veneered plywood? Are you getting a veneer of oak applied to the plywood sheeting? Its just that I've never seen an oak plywood before (thats not to say they dont exist). I methioned it in a previous thread, but you cant go far wrong with oil, ie Danish oil, even for a novice its pretty easy to apply, ie wipe on, wipe off, and after three or four coats it'll give the object a nice natural sheen and lustre, you could polish it off with a bit of wax then. Also, if you are going with plywood make sure its of pretty good quality as sometimes the sandwich can have pieces missing, or irregular lines etc.

If you wanted to go down the line of varnish well then just pick up your run of the mill clear varnish, Sadolins, Ronseal, Rustins etc in whatever finish you'd like, ie satin or gloss. Just give the piece a good rub down with sandpaper first, in the direction of the grain, and also, if you are leaving the plywood edges on show make sure you have them well sanded, sanded in fact to the point where they are shiney and glassy even before you apply any coatings. Work down through the grades of paper and give the wood a wipe down with a bit of white spirits on a cloth before you start just to clean off any residue, fingerprints etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

thats brilliant advice. was trying to google this but couldn't find anything.will give this a go after chrimbo and let you know how i get on.

cheers again

had a search around for veneered plywood but can only seem to find it in 4mm. Does anyone know where in dublin might have 18mm veneered ply?

Alternatively, if I was to paint the ply, how should i go about this to make it look decent?what finish can i apply so its not too diy?hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

had a search around for veneered plywood but can only seem to find it in 4mm. Does anyone know where in dublin might have 18mm veneered ply?

Alternatively, if I was to paint the ply, how should i go about this to make it look decent?what finish can i apply so its not too diy?hope that makes sense!

If you were going to paint it would you not be better off, and cheaper, to get 18mm mdf? Thats pretty easy to paint, just seal the ends with PVA and away you go, it doesnt really get any easier.

• Advertisement

ok after much searching, i can't get me hands on veneered ply. I'm going to go with a veneered mdf as suggested and get an edging for the exposed mdf.

Looking for recommendations on a builders providers around naas,newbridge that will provide the veneered mdf and offer a cutting service?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

I know where you can veneer ply, try this guy he's very helpful:

http://www.designedinlismore.com/poplarplywood.shtml

cheers
    jon
    greendogcampers.com

Advertisement