Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Dual carriageway - treacherous - not gritted

Options
  • 21-12-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    Is there anyway WCC can be encouraged to grit the road? I made enqueries and I was told that the road has yet to be taken "in charge" hence they don't grit it.However the man I spoke to was surprised the bus route part wasn't done as they used to do that stretch. I called the Greystones Garda station and they are aware of how bad it was but the Garda didn't say if they could order the gritting of the road.

So what can we do?

Contact locally elected reps, wait till a Dublin bus slides in to a roundabout!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

FirstIn wrote: »
    Folks,
    Is there anyway WCC can be encouraged to grit the road? I made enqueries and I was told that the road has yet to be taken "in charge" hence they don't grit it.However the man I spoke to was surprised the bus route part wasn't done as they used to do that stretch. I called the Greystones Garda station and they are aware of how bad it was but the Garda didn't say if they could order the gritting of the road.

So what can we do?

Contact locally elected reps, wait till a Dublin bus slides in to a roundabout!

It was awful this morning. Not to mention the d**k in the renault espace who flew up the outside lane when it was quite obvious the reason we were all doing 20 mph was down to the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Contact locally elected reps

seems like maybe the best idea, its ludicrous this road hasn't been taken over by the council yet, and even so there's no reason not to grit it. Its also the recommended access route for all the harbour construction traffic.

Maybe you should lobby the overall management company to put barriers at either end of the road and issue swipe cards to Charlesland residents only - that might focus the minds of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Two cars had crashed by the time I was going to work, a jeep into the railings at the Jackie Skelly roundabout and and fender bender at the Kilcoole/Farrankelly roundabout.

Treacharous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I drove left out of Charlesland estate at 5.20am and at the first roundabout there were skid marks from where a car would usually break in normal conditions in a perfectly straight line bang into the roundabout. When I got to Shoreline there was an eastern reg. Volvo changing wheels.

Coming back at around 6.50am the rear of my car went from the back twice doing 15-20mph, even less!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Minor fender bender at the main Charlesland roundabout just before 9am. Guards at the scene.
    The road in both directions has not been gritted. Also first Charlesland roundabout at shopping centre is like an ice rink. Was scary to see the amount of drivers who did not adjust their driving to the conditions. Hitting the roundabout at the usual speeds you are almost sure to slide or spin out as a few did early this morning.

Adjust to the conditions of the road people or you will spin out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If it is still in the auspices of the management company, surely it is their responsibility to ensure the road is safe. Call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lance Vance

Are Wicklow County Council shirking their responsibility by not taking charge of this section of road? Those of us living in Charlesland pay motor tax and should expect to drive on safe gritted roads to access Greystones, the N11 and the R761.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

How many times is that road talked about in the forum, and how many times do ye get the same answer?!?! :rolleyes:

It is not taken in charge the WCC are not permitted do anything to it. AGAIN you need to contact the management companies so they can contact whoever does own the road to sort it. It is out of the WCCs hands.
    Are Wicklow County Council shirking their responsibility by not taking charge of this section of road? Those of us living in Charlesland pay motor tax and should expect to drive on safe gritted roads to access Greystones, the N11 and the R761.

The N11 is gritted, they only grit major roads. There are miles and miles of roadway to be covered. It is impossible to cover all minor roads, if they grit your minor roads then they should be up my way 5 miles out in the countryside doing my roads no?!?

Jemmy wrote: »

The N11 is gritted, they only grit major roads. There are miles and miles of roadway to be covered. It is impossible to cover all minor roads, if they grit your minor roads then they should be up my way 5 miles out in the countryside doing my roads no?!?

I never said or nor do I expect the council to be able to grit all roads. The road in question is not a minor road, it is a dual carriageway. Wicklow CC do grit the R774 dual-carriageway at the southern end of this road. They also grit the R762 (The Mill road) which is at the northern end of the Charlesland dual carriageway. If WCC were in charge of this road it would be gritted.
    This current situation is yet another reason why this road should be taken in charge by Wicklow CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

re Jemmy's comment "they only grit major roads" - this is a major road. It probably carries the majority of traffic in and out of Greystones. It is not only charlesland residents using it, most users are not Charlesland residents at all.

This is not a minor poky 5 miles out boreen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

If WCC were in charge of this road it would be gritted.
    It probably carries the majority of traffic in and out of Greystones. It is not only charlesland residents using it, most users are not Charlesland residents at all.

It all comes back to contact your managment companies the road is not taken in charge.

Anyone know an email address for them?

Jemmy wrote: »
    It all comes back to contact your managment companies the road is not taken in charge.

I have tried to contact Mountbrook Homes (01 6110300) but their offices are closed from Dec 18th to Jan 4th. Another reason why this road should be controlled by WCC.

Commonsense should prevail and in the interests of road safety WCC should start gritting this road during this cold snap in conjunction with the adjoining roads they grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Whats it like today?

Not that familiar with the road but I'll be done there at about 4.30 today, is it still pretty bad?

Hi Cookie Monster,

I was out at lunch time on the playschool run and the main road is pretty much back to normal with the exception on certain parts of the inside lane which has not been used as much since early morning. You can still see ice patches in parts.

Also the roundabouts are still slippy so would advise approaching them with care. They will probably get worse as the temps dip again.

I rang and left a message for Charlesland Wood management company contact to get back to me so I can ask him what the plan is for the road and the immediate weather related issues.

Just got off the phone with Charlesland Wood management company 'Wyse' and they have been in touch with Mountbrook homes today who are responsible for the main road. Mountbrook have authorised Wyse to go ahead and grit the road tonight at a cost of €200

Michael said he had received several phone calls about the main road, including the overflowing bins issue, which he explained is down to Mountbrook homes to resolve.

Despite the road not being the responsibility of Wyse property management or the other management companies in Charlesland. I think this is a very positive gesture on behalf of Wyse and in particular Michael O'Gorman for following up on this issue.

Mountbrook are now on annual leave until the new year at which stage I intend to investigate the matter further with them.

If anyone has any suggestions on how best to approach Mountbrook in the new year it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

no gritting again i see!!!!

I find it incredible that they said they were going to grit and they didnt bother. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Didn't have my normal 5:50 drive to work this morning but the past 2 mornings where unreal. I have never seen anything like it. Thankfully i had the roundabouts and road to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

The road was fine thismorning, althought the roundabout at superquinn was still icy. Not sure if it was from gritting or just not as cold last night as before.

Looks like they didn't bother due to a rise in temps. The roads were not too bad this morning, certainly no where near as bad as yesterday

Temps are due to drop again tonight and after today's rain it could be very bad in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I was out at 12am this morning over at the PHQ pizza joint...I saw the gritter truck come from Greystones, looped the roundabout and continued for jackie skelly - it was out but only on the SAR.

No gritting for the Charlesland estate by the looks of it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

well thats something at least - I wouldn't expect them to do the estate, i doubt they're even gritting the estates they are responsible for themselves (assuming this was a council truck).

interesting article on the costs of gritting the roads here

No ice this morning. All roads where fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I saw the WCC gritter gritting the main SAR drag on St Stephen's Night but they won't come into the estate. that's the same for all the estates in the town, it's everyone for themselves, they'll only do the main roads.
    I appreciate we're all motorists here but the footpaths in and about the estates are equally bad and while a prang at slow speeds(as most of us will do) only amounts to an inconvenience and expense, pedestrians are ending up in hospital. I know of three people that have slipped over the last 2 wks going for the 84x. All suffered injuries and one ended up in hospital. I think the managment companies should look at installing grit bins for the residents to use.
    As for the SAR if WCC continue to refuse to take it in charge we should look at closing it to through traffic to force the issue. It may be a little inconvenience for some of us having to go the long way around to the N11 like we use to, but it would cause an uproar locally and force councillors to push WCC on the matter If it is still a private road how do the Gardai enforce speeding fines and the rules of the road?

youknowwho wrote: »
    If it is still a private road how do the Gardai enforce speeding fines and the rules of the road?

if its open to the public, the rules of the road apply, regardless of ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pommiedude

Hi All not sure if you knew but the road seems to be owned by Zappa Develepoments not your seperate management companies that are in Charlesland they where there original developer and sold the lots to the individual Durkan companies and they had a a greement with the planners to get the approval for planning of CHrlesalnd to build the roads infastructure all the way upto the N11 if you cast your minds back this was done ages ago and we had to wait 2 years for WCC to raise money to connect to the N11 as Developers cannot connect to major A road in ireland has to be done a local or district authority.....

I will check this out if they still own the ring road but pretty sure they do if so there the people we need to get incontact with hope this helps guys (Apologies if it is out of date will keep you posted...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Yes the road is owned by Zappi, and they paid WCC through WYSE to grit the road over xmas.

Advertisement