Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who DOES want to win it??

• 21-12-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Chelsea dropping points and Terry in trouble after NOTW story.
    United losing two on the bounce with a defensive crisis.
    Arsenal dropping points and Wenger even more whingy than usual.
    Spurs having a secret Christmas party and several players about to get thrashed, especially Captain Keane.
    City 6th but sack the boss.
    Pool losing more often than they win, but at least they don't have all those draws like last season!

So I guess it is Villa for the title???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dickerty wrote: »

No they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Could do with a poll.

I'd imagine most people would be expecting Chelsea to win it apart from Utd/Arsenal fans backing their own lot.

I don't think you would find too many supporters from other teams who would be expecting their team to win the league. Some might be hopeful/optimistic backing their side and dreaming of glory, but very few who would actually be expecting it.

Given Chelsea are top and four points clear even after having a disaster of a month in December, I think anyone who doesn't expect them to win should throw up some reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Winning is overrated. Underachieving in midtable obscurity is how all the cool kids roll :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Pool losing more often than they win

Won 8, Lost 7....................?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Given Chelsea are top and four points clear even after having a disaster of a month in December, I think anyone who doesn't expect them to win should throw up some reasons.

I think January could have an effect of them, with the ACN. But the same could be said for Arsenal. Man U the only other team that could win it, they dont loose anybody in January, but they have a lot of injuries. It really is anybodys guess. The title is there for the taking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

thorbarry wrote: »
    The title is there for the taking

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

United fan here fully expect Chelsea to win it but United will be very close. Chelsea's biggest problems are minor they need to use the wings more effectively, IMO that is all that is wrong there at the moment. United really lack creativity and are having to grind out results where they would have won 2-0 or 3-0 before. I don't see that changing too quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Weird season so far, it's very much still up for grabs with all the top 4 withing touching distance. I think it willl be between Arsenal, United and Chelsea in the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

thorbarry wrote: »
    I think January could have an effect of them, with the ACN. But the same could be said for Arsenal. Man U the only other team that could win it, they dont loose anybody in January, but they have a lot of injuries. It really is anybodys guess. The title is there for the taking

Chelsea's fixtures in the ACN period are pretty soft.
    Also when you compare their bench to other top sides they come out pretty well. I don't think it will have that big an effect on their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

It's made for a more interesting season rather than the usual suspects running off into the distance and becoming a borefest. Everyone (including Chelsea) looks beatable and the champions will probably have lost >6 games by the end of it. It's good stuff, hopefully we'll have a last day decider to sort it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Chelsea's fixtures in the ACN period are pretty soft.

When they drop points against the second bottom side and need a bad penalty decision to do even that, I wouldnt look at any fixture as "soft"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's made for a more interesting season rather than the usual suspects running off into the distance and becoming a borefest. Everyone (including Chelsea) looks beatable and the champions will probably have lost >6 games by the end of it. It's good stuff, hopefully we'll have a last day decider to sort it all out.
    Indeed for the neutral its making it a lot more entertaining but it's not helping me and my FF team :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chelsea need Essien back or need to adjust to playing without him for the next 6 weeks.
    United need their defence back.
    Arsenal need consistency and a signing or 2.
    Villa need to use the squad and continue to do well while doing that.
    Spurs need to keep their form going and not let Defoe potentially having a dry spell affect them.
    City to tighten up their defence enormously, I don't think this necessarily means new players.
    Liverpool, well, they need their top players to actually start playing well, the rest will follow.

Now I'm not suggesting those 7 teams are all in the title race but they could all play their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

As I felt from the start of the season, Manchester United I think will win it again. History backs me up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Muppet wrote: »
    Weird season so far, it's very much still up for grabs with all the top 4 withing touching distance. I think it willl be between Arsenal, United and Chelsea in the run.

Been reading your cliché dictionary?

I think Chelsea will win the thing, by about four or five points, although I've said that the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Chelsea gonna cruise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Won 8, Lost 7....................?????????

I mean recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Birmingham City (world turns its back on the whole idea of association football)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I know everyone thinks chelsea have a soft january but burnley away Birmingham and sunderland could definetly all take points off them if there not at there best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭jacool

I believe that Chelsea can dabble in this transfer window before the ban kicks in so it will be interesting to see if they purchase.
    Man City may well give Roberto cash to splash. There is a dearth of fit and talented defenders in the Manchester vicinity lately, so that could be where the money goes. City however won't be able to tempt anyone from a Champions League team I guess.
    Its amazing that Arsenal are now back in it when 2 weeks ago they looked like they were out.
    When you look at the top 4, Villa in 4th place play Arsenal on the 26th and Liverpool 2 days later. Anything less than 4 points for them and I think they can kiss their chances goodbye. They have beaten United but it was a weakened United. I'm guessing those fixtures could leave it a three horse race. If Chelsea are ahead at the end of January I expect them to kick on.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Arsenal need consistency and a signing or 2.

Yes. They are in bad need of a goalie. And they have no physical presence up front at the moment which is a big problem, but Bendtners return could solve this issue. It'll come down to Arsenal, Chelsea and United and I don't think any of Villa, Spurs or City are in with a realistic shout. They'll fade away as usual.

jacool wrote: »
    I believe that Chelsea can dabble in this transfer window before the ban kicks in so it will be interesting to see if they purchase.
    I thought they had the ban rescinded? Or are they only allowed buy in the coming window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well Chelsea seem to be throwing it away at the moment. Pretty much a full strength squad yet they can't beat Everton at Home or West Ham away.

lol losers Chelsea, at least United have an excuse! Chelsea will drop more points against mid table teams when they lose Drogba, Essien, Mikel and Kalou.

I'm still just about predicting Arsenal to come up from the rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Unfortunately I think Chelsea are gonna nick it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Chelsea have a great squad, but have failed to take their chances. I think they'll drop a lot more points tbh.

Man Utd have a lot to do, and I do think they can do it. Chelsea are by no means a dead cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Chelsea have a great squad, but have failed to take their chances. I think they'll drop a lot more points tbh.

Man Utd have a lot to do, and I do think they can do it. Chelsea are by no means a dead cert.

Hope your right, but we really can only afford 1 or 2 more defeats by seasons end.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

United have being here before and sometimes more than 4 points behind at this stage in the season.

But dont think United will win the league this year. Too many problems and i do believe they are missing Ronaldo alot.

Being a Utd fan and all but even besides the defensive problems they have lacked creativity in some games. Fulham on Saturday was awful. They were ppor at times against Wolves and dreadful against Villa also.

But then in other games they have looked class. Just a bit inconsistent at the moment however

They need to strenghten in January but most likely wont.

One thing that may help is that Chelsea havent grabbed the opportunity to go further ahead so we'll see. Dont see the ACN making a big difference to chelsea. There fixtures are a little easier during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Who knows. I think it'll be a great run in with at least the top 4(maby five) in contention if things keep going as they are. Chelsea should win it but you never know.

I hope United nick it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The Premiership has been a right dull affair this year. I find myself not even watching it and not caring if I get the results or not. Others years when I couldn't see the footy, I'd be on Mobile 3G looking for results and updates.

I think the Rugby is where it's at these days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

flanzer wrote: »
    The Premiership has been a right dull affair this year. I find myself not even watching it and not caring if I get the results or not. Others years when I couldn't see the footy, I'd be on Mobile 3G looking for results and updates.

I think the Rugby is where it's at these days
    You're in the wrong forum so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

flanzer wrote: »

wtf? are you just watching reruns from 2005/2006 where everyone was playing turgid football and Chelsea ran away with it?

This year has as good as it's been for a long time imo. The football is a lot more open than it has been in a long while, the smaller teams aren't as afraid to take on the big boys as they used be (with the exception of Wolves before anyone brings that up ;)), the relegation battle is anybody's bet (even Portsmouth have started putting points on the board) and with the top 6 dropping points everywhere nobody can predict it. Heck, even Liverpool in 8th could put themselves back in there if they found a good run of form (as unlikely as it may be).

While the boardroom shenanigans are as bad as ever, from a footballing point of view it's been great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's those bloody relegation battle teams raising their bloody games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Damn game raisers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Kold wrote: »
    It's those bloody relegation battle teams raising their bloody games.
    Didn't somebody once upon a time accuse the bottom teams of raising their game against his side.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Chelsea dropping points and Terry in trouble after NOTW story.
    Arsenal dropping points and Wenger even more whingy than usual.
    Spurs having a secret Christmas party and several players about to get thrashed, especially Captain Keane.
    City 6th but sack the boss.
    Pool losing more often than they win, but at least they don't have all those draws like last season!

So I guess it is Villa for the title???
    Only title Villa will be getting is the fair play award from Blatter. Hand ball, never

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I suspect/hope United will win it. I think we'll find our form and it'll be our main priority. There were signs of us finding our form before the defensive crisis. Since the Chelsea defeat, we've really upped it. Then the injuries hit. But once we get over these, I think with Fletcher in the middle, Hargreaves returning, and the possibility of a new attacking player or even without it, we can pip it. It'll be tight though.

I think Chelsea might suffer in the ANC and will focus on the CL. Beyond that, the team's system is not greatly suited to the PL.

Arsenal are in with a great shout too. If Van Persie hadn't been injuried, I think they might have won it this season. Without him, I can't see them maintaining the consistancy.

I think so far this season, nobody has really impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

It galls me to say it but I reckon Chelsea, unless they fall apart in January without Drogba and Essien.

PHB wrote: »
    nobody has really impressed.

I don't really like the way people keep saying this, as there has been some great football this season. To say that nobody has found consistency is much more reflective of how the season has gone so far.

Arsenal and Chelsea have played some very very good football this season. And not to mention both Villa and Spurs have played very well too, only to drop points against teams they shouldn't have. Out of the current top 5 it's only United who have never really got going at all this season.

I don't really like the way people keep saying this, as there has been some great football this season. To say that nobody has found consistency is much more reflective of how the season has gone so far.

Arsenal and Chelsea have played some very very good football this season. And not to mention both Villa and Spurs have played very well too, only to drop points against teams they shouldn't have. Out of the current top 5 it's only United who have never really got going at all this season.
    To bad the season isn't decided in December, the grand national after three fences, the second leg of our play off after...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

To bad the season isn't decided in December, the grand national after three fences, the second leg of our play off after...
    What does this have to do with what he said?

• Advertisement

What does this have to do with what he said?
    What im saying Villa and Spurs look good now but fitness will come into it at the end of the season. Both teams will inevitably hit a wall at some stage.

What im saying Villa and Spurs look good now but fitness will come into it at the end of the season. Both teams will inevitably hit a wall at some stage.

did you bother to read my post at all? wtf has that got to do with what I said?

Christ, it seems to too much to expect people to read more than 4 or 5 words of a post in this forum these days...

did you bother to read my post at all? wtf has that got to do with what I said?

Christ, it seems to too much to expect people to read more than 4 or 5 words of a post in this forum these days...
    I read your post. But very few teams find consistency until near the business end of season IMO.

I read your post. But very few teams find consistency until near the business end of season IMO.

Now you are making no sense at all. You say most teams wont find consistency til the end of the season, yet Aston Villa and Spurs will fall apart. So does the bit where people win loads of games at the start of a season not count as consistency? I have absolutely no idea what the point is you are trying to make.

btw, this has nothing to do with my post. to simplify things for you:

PHB said no one impressed.
    I said that many teams have impressed but there has been no consistency.

Now you are making no sense at all. You say most teams wont find consistency til the end of the season, yet Aston Villa and Spurs will fall apart. So does the bit where people win loads of games at the start of a season not count as consistency? I have absolutely no idea what the point is you are trying to make.

btw, this has nothing to do with my post. to simplify things for you:

PHB said no one impressed.
    I said that many teams have impressed but there has been no consistency.
    Okay i will spell this out for you. The best Teams hit consistency near the end of the season because they have the best squads that will go the distance. Fair play to Villa and spurs so far but they have still to prove they are a top four team. Until then the jury is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Okay i will spell this out for you. The best Teams hit consistency near the end of the season because they have the best squads that will go the distance. Fair play to Villa and spurs so far but they have still to prove they are a top four team. Until then the jury is out.

how is the jury still out if you already decided that theyd collapse?

So what does this mean in relation to my post? That teams can't impress at this point of the season because they have not found their consistency? that makes no more sense than your first post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

just watching the premiership years there and arsenal after losing 3-1 at home to blackburn sat 7th on dec 26th 1997 a full 12 points behind man utd and still won the league that year, far too early to call anything as of right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

rossie1977 wrote: »
    just watching the premiership years there and arsenal after losing 3-1 at home to blackburn sat 7th on dec 26th 1997 a full 12 points behind man utd and still won the league that year, far too early to call anything as of right now

Arsenal always had games in hand though. I think even in April that year they were around 9 pts behind but had around 3 games in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Warper wrote: »
    Arsenal always had games in hand though. I think even in April that year they were around 9 pts behind but had around 3 games in hand.

Give them enough rope & they'll hang themselves!

• Advertisement
Advertisement