Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Dunne - Most Boring Man on Radio

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No he is interesting
    Was "Parachute" actually a hit anywhere apart from Holland, which according to Dunne was a bit of a Something Happens stronghold back in the day. :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i actually bought the something happens album during the week :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

No he is interesting
    He is so boring that even this thread about him is boring !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Or could the tread be boring because not that many people agree with the idea that tom is boring and so don't comment.

Its a conundrum ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Splinter wrote: »
    i actually bought the something happens album during the week :pac:
    How is that going for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

My favourite game, when I could still stomach the show, was to count the various "I used to be in a band" references/implications. Of course, to play it properly, you have to discount his Twitter handle...

Now I just usually switch over to Pat after ten minutes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

where is tom going now after Pat got his slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No he is interesting
    I wouldn't mind him doing a nightly music show, like Creedon does on RTE for example. I share some of his tastes and do listen to 'Surfs Up' on occasion. Music seems to be his passion in life.

However I think Newstalk are limited somewhat in the amount music they can play in a week, something to do with their licence? Somebody here might know more about it than me.

Also you'd have to factor in Coleman At Large which is in that slot currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well they are called Newstalk so spinning disks is not part of their remit really. Dunne should just look for a gig on a Dublin station, does he need a fairly large salary? What do the likes of 98 and 104 pay? If he joined he'd be a mini "game changer" of his own for that market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God man Tom, more talk about your kids... That winning formula that just lost you your job..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

pet sounds was the best music radio show ever!

Must say while I never found his show riveting, as mention previously, it was easy listening.

Infinitely better than Kenny.

Hardly comparable!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

No he is interesting
    According to the Newstalk bosses, Dunne "remains key to the station". I wonder if that's a bit like the chairman of a football club saying he's fully behind the manager and then a week later he gets the chop?

Dunne should go back to Today FM to do Pet Sounds. It what he's good at. A talk show host he ain't.

My suggestion would be more strategic - bin Hooky, move in Coopers Last Word, move Dunne to teatime on Today FM. The only problem is that the Right Hook is actually doing well esp in the all important Dublin market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

mike65 wrote: »
    My suggestion would be more strategic - bin Hooky, move in Coopers Last Word, move Dunne to teatime on Today FM. The only problem is that the Right Hook is actually doing well esp in the all important Dublin market.

Bin their top show? What's the strategy here? ;)

It won't be their top programme for much longer. The success of Right Hook is inexplicable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Right Hook is by far their top rated show last I checked. No way will that be getting binned unless Hook himself wants to leave. Wonder would 98 take Tom in place of that Ryan Seacrest crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

No he is interesting
    Yes I always felt sorry for Audrey. He has the personality of a wet tea towel.

I like newstalk. Everything except Dunne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭MagnusDamm

No he is interesting
    I wish someone would tell him that something happens were ****e and pretty much unheard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

I love Tom Dunne. Listen most mornings, often laugh out loud. Very easy listening..he's a nice guy. Also like his music..I go to Whelans for their gig...fab! Am wondering what his new slot will be...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I liked Tom Dunne's show up until a few months ago. I've found that lately he's been putting out a very bad vibe, it's hard to explain, but it's like he's trying to be controversial and hard-hitting, covering very sensitive stuff and the like. And that's just not what he's good at. His "My Life in Music" series is top notch, and really shows off what he's best at, which is talking about music and doing light-hearted interviews. I still listen in when I can, mainly because he's the only viable alternative to D'Arcy for me, but it's lost a lot of what I liked about it.

I'd say there're a nice few scenarios which could play out now...

In no particular order:
    • Schedule rejig creates a new slot between Breakfast and Pat Kenny. Probably 9am to 10am. Dunne to present a lite show with a few songs thrown in.
    • Dunne is relegated to just doing Surf's Up.
    • Dunne does a "Miriam Meets..." style show, building on the "My Life in Music" format.
    • Dunne replaces The Green Room, Davenport After Dark and Splanc with a music show and those shows moved to the weekend as part of the changes that are happening there (See: Norah Casey getting her own weekend show etc)
    • George Hook is 72 years old, how long can he continue to do a five day a week radio show? When his eventual retirement comes, Cooper could move to NT, Colm O'Sullivan could take the drivetime slot on Today Fm, and Dunne to revive Pet Sounds.
    • Dunne moves to a local station, most likely 98FM who're in the same stable as NT.
    • We never hear from Dunne again after September.

A move to 98 to replace that Seacrest nonsense would be very interesting to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭paulbok

If you think Tom Dunne is boring, you should check out Dull & Duller on Phantom in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I really hate the title of this thread. :mad:

It is totally unfair to Tom and is just the OP's personal opinion. Unfortunately, it seems to have become the Tom Dunne megathread.

Can it be changed, especially considering the poll result shows how wrong the OP is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Must say while I never found his show riveting, as mention previously, it was easy listening.

Infinitely better than Kenny.

That's like saying Beyoncé is better than Stephen Hawking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »
    I really hate the title of this thread. :mad:

It is totally unfair to Tom and is just the OP's personal opinion. Unfortunately, it seems to have become the Tom Dunne megathread.

Can it be changed, especially considering the poll result shows how wrong the OP is?

+1.

I think the thread title is very unfair too and I've said so before.

I'm actually surprised Boards allow it to continue.

A thread title shouldn't be used to cast an opinion. Especially when that opinion lingers on for over 2 years since the OP last made a contribution to the thread.

Plenty of room for for opinions within the thread itself. So it wouldn't be seen as censorship to alter it to something more neutral.

It really should be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

No he is interesting
    He is very boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

No he is interesting
    Temaz wrote: »
    He is very boring.

Extremely.
    And the fake laugh and fake interest in anything that's not music related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

No he is interesting
    Loved pet sounds and loved the happens but this radio format does not suit him at all... brings tears to my ears

• Advertisement
Advertisement