Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options
  • 21-12-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Continue here please....:rolleyes:;)

Staying chilly up until Christmas with a breakdown likely on Stephens day, although the long term outlook isn't exactly mild.

Enjoy the snow if you got some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Begining to snow in Letterkenny again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

mild scattering of snow in east clare, very overcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

From last thread, which closed as I tryed to save my post
    I don't want to sound flippant but what disturbed me was the death of at least 15 homeless people who froze to death in Poland. What disturbed me even more was watching middle class drop outs, doing da dreadlock ting yeah.., protesting about Climate Change all wrapped up in their expensive gear while real people with no one to fight or speak up them die from the cold in horrific circumstances. :(

The world we live is fecking crazy sometimes. :(:(:(

My comment wasn't meant in a climate change sort of way. Just that this cold spell is not the usual. Like 1982 wasn't usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

Begining to snow in Letterkenny again

ya its bad alright here in letterkenny! snow was so bad saturday nite I couldnt get home as the bus wouldnt drive me, left standed half an hour outside letterkenny - teach me to out in the middle of nowhere when its threatened to snow!
    Schools all closed today here - first snow day of 2009, wondering is this the start of the school hols now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Snowing in West Limerick since 0953 and still going :D

Here's two shots from this morning

Hello.jpg

HelloII.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

mad DIY wrote: »
    From last thread, which closed as I tryed to save my post

My comment wasn't meant in a climate change sort of way. Just that this cold spell is not the usual. Like 1982 wasn't usual :)

I wasn't implying that is was Mad DIY:) My comment above is just a personal observation. I know other's would argue that this cold snap does not prove anything, and they would be right, but Climate Change advocates seem to be more focused on a conceptual future rather than a real and immediate present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Wouldn't be surprised to see an ice day or 2 before this spell ends. If anywhere gets fog, or freezing fog more likely, it'll be very difficult to shift. While Christmas day look like the transition day, everything past that is too difficult to call, we could still end up back in the cold weather again.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Sigh,

Another day, another no snow event... I'm becoming disillusioned with this weather. Seems everyone but Dublin is getting something in the way of the white stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So much potential wasted as that low just sits and sits and decays over Scotland, so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Any talk about the models? 0Z ECM doesn't show much of a breakdown and now the 06Z GFS only shows a kinda breakdown and then bring the cold back in after Xmas. :pac:

• Advertisement

So much potential wasted as that low just sits and sits and decays over Scotland, so annoying.

I know, Ive been glued to raintoday over the last few days, looks like so much potential snow, however they just dont make it down this way.

I suppose there is no chance of an Easterly kicking in to bring us some snow on the East coast ?

Troughing, or should I say, lack of it, has been the main feature of this event. In a normal troughing situation those showers would readily descend down over the country. Everything just seems a little bit slack due to the flabby LP,

If it is any comfort, there is sod all happening here as well. Any lying snow is thawing and it just feels cold. Roads are still lethal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Christmas day not looking to good for me bet, Dublin wet by the looks.. Belfast looks better though..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Troughing, or should I say, lack of it, has been the main feature of this event. In a normal troughing situation those showers would readily descend down over the country. Everything just seems a little bit slack due to the flabby LP,

If it is any comfort, there is sod all happening here as well. Any lying snow is thawing and it just feels cold. Roads are still lethal though.

Yep, too flabby and moving too slowly (reminds me of Xmas day binge on a tin of sweets, heh). Looks like the models got it right. :(

Still though, as long as it stays cold and FI is only always a few days away then there is always potential. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

francosp wrote: »
    I know, Ive been glued to raintoday over the last few days, looks like so much potential snow, however they just dont make it down this way.

I suppose there is no chance of an Easterly kicking in to bring us some snow on the East coast ?

Well an Easterly or Northeasterly is the only thing that will stop the warmer Atlantic from taking over. I would not rule out anything at this stage. The ECM as Maquiladora says does not indicate much oF a breakdown while the GFS shows that it doesn't warm up considerably. This would indicate that there will still be battlelines between cold and warm close to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

snowing again in Tralee right now on top of the frozen ice and slush from yesterday- mountains totally covered. roads lethal.

Just a heads up that this spell aint over yet.

Sleet/Snow showers will continue across the north and west today and tomorrow with a sharp frost. The perhaps a trough features moving up from the south during Wednesday with some models developing a low pressure system to swing up from the south and move east by Thursday.

Lots of interesting things ahead i just suppose today and tomorrow looks a little bit boring and stagnent.

But don't give up on snow falling from this spell if ya live in Dublin, another 4 days of hoping at least. And decent chances come Wednesday/Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Snowing heavily up here now. There was some during the night also. Looks very dark now.

There is a field at the back and even this morning I was in over my wellies.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Well an Easterly or Northeasterly is the only thing that will stop the warmer Atlantic from taking over. I would not rule out anything at this stage. The ECM as Maquiladora says does not indicate much oF a breakdown while the GFS shows that it doesn't warm up considerably. This would indicate that there will still be battlelines between cold and warm close to Ireland.

Latest update on RTE say that there is much milder weather on the way from St. Stephens day onwards. Hope they're wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I dont believeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it.. I don't fecking believe it... Snowing heavy here in Donegal Town... woohooo first snow in 2 days !! :):):):)

• Advertisement

Agonising to see the 20 flakes that fell still intact on the ground.

Even if we had of had really light snow we would have had a decent cover!

irish1967 wrote: »
    I dont believeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it.. I don't fecking believe it... Snowing heavy here in Donegal Town... woohooo first snow in 2 days !! :):):):)

Congrats Irish! Are you still chain smoking? :p

From RTE - "In Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, 15cm of snow was reported overnight.":eek:

Leitrim don't win much but they definitely are contenders now for the All Ireland Snow Hoarding Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Stopped snowing again but then, who cares?

99613.jpg

99614.jpg

ch750536 wrote: »
    Stopped snowing again but then, who cares?
    Nice one ch750536

What's crappy about this for me though is that the exact same clouds passed over my head and didn't drop one flake. They moved 15 miles due south across the estuary to you, picked up a bit of attitude on the way, and gave you that. Enjoy it. That bog/forest pic is really good. Like the Ardennes in Band of Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

West kerry looks like its going to get pasted with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Eased off slightly but still going. makes such a difference when the bands are coming from the north and not in off the sea !! Next band in an hour.. I hope... singing "band on the run.. band on the run":)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wouldn't be surprised to see an ice day or 2 before this spell ends. If anywhere gets fog, or freezing fog more likely, it'll be very difficult to shift. While Christmas day look like the transition day, everything past that is too difficult to call, we could still end up back in the cold weather again.

if mt cranium is correct it'll be somewhat milder after christmas until around the 10th of january. his winter forecast has been spot on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

West kerry looks like its going to get pasted with snow.

Dunno, is turning to a southerly and thawing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The drive up form Castletroy to Galway was "fun".
    Warmed up the car from 06.15 onwards, scraping the snow and ice off the car instead of the hot water, as the water would have re-frozen and the rest of the residents would not be happy with that.
    Limerick had a decent 4cm or so of snow in the city centre, so a nice easy 20kmh through the streets.
    Shannon had a similar coverage, with the grey lines from traffic not having cleared to the road surface yet - slippery to say the least - and clear under the bridges.
    Ennis bypass had less traffic but a similar snow load. It's not fun being overtaken by a madman in a Landcruiser doing over 80 kmh on the frozen mush in the overtaking lane when I was having enough trouble staying stable at 35-40 kmh on the driving line that was there.
    Crusheen to Gort was the most difficult as the sleet took over, and the road surface became slush over ice.
    Gort onwards was perfect for travel. From Gort to Galway, there was less than a dusting on the ground, and the overnight salting could actually work.
    However, the side road to oranmore, and the carpark in the industrial estate were actual ice sheets. I parked the car, and had a really hard time getting mobile on the ice. More slippery than some icerinks I've been on.

Thawing a bit up here in Galway this morning, but I see a large snow shower off to the northwest that appears to be dumping a lot of stuff over the Oughterard direction.

Take care out there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement