Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

fintonie wrote: »
    not drained just enjoying the post, tis top stuff:)

Ah they're coming out of the woodwork now;)! How's Bolton Fintonie?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

blast05 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, will that big blob on raintoday hit Athlone. We've had about 5 minutes of a light shower last night (and that has been all in the whole of 2009).

On a side note, when you play this link http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 out to the end (seems to end at 3pm for some reason) then to my completely untrained eye, you can see plenty of banks of cloud coming out of the west coast of Norway feeding its way mostly south westward .... any 'future' in that for us ?!

Yeah, been watching that blob on the radar over the past hour - seems to have kept going unlike all other attempts today - so you may get a dusting from that - probably too far west for me - which is absolutely typical....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone, most probably Local-womanizer, know what the story is like in Letterkenny tonight? Im back at home in the west where they've had nothing all weekend here but judging by the fact it was snowing all day in the town I'd guess it must be pretty bad?

Got the bus from LK to Dungloe earlier, the snow in the mountains was crazy, must have been at least 20cm around Meenaroy. It was so surreal with everything, even the fir trees totally covered in snow. Took some pics but with the bus moving none really came out but it was undoubtedly the deepest Ive ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Those blobs can be deceptive.. look at the massive one over me now and its barely sprinkling snow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Love the Eagle, great the way he said "Winters won't be loosing its grip before the year is out"

Cold Glorious Cold :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That was not a bad looking forecast from the Eagle , even mentioned that there mite be some snow around Christmas Eve /Day as the mild air brings shower and meets the cold air over us at the moment .

He said the weather is most certainly not going to turn milder, might just feel a little less cold around Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah they're coming out of the woodwork now;)! How's Bolton Fintonie?!

there is nowhere for a bar of chocolate to hide and -7,

I was glad to see most of yis getting the snow:)

That was not a bad looking forecast from the Eagle , even mentioned that there mite be some snow around Christmas Eve /Day as the mild air brings shower and meets the cold air over us at the moment .

He said the weather is most certainly not going to turn milder, might just feel a little less cold around Christmas

Ya i like John Eagleton - he says it like it is:D! Unlike that Gerry Murphy guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

fairly quiet here this evening - i'd say people are drained after the weekend.
    Nah, was just out enjoying the icescape with the dog. I was throwing sticks over frozen puddles so he'd run over them. Very funny to watch :D

Rougies wrote: »
    Nah, was just out enjoying the icescape with the dog. I was throwing sticks over frozen puddles so he'd run over them. Hilarious :D

AAAwww the poor little mite! hehe:D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

do you weather experts believe all this cold weather is a sign of things to come as in do you reckon this cold could last a long while ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Well i was out about around the county today, Some very slippery roads in and around Tralee, mostly slushy stuff that refroze. Out near my own place it snowed a few times and didn't thaw all day.
    Tralee to Killarney road was treacherous and a lot of heavy trucks couldnt travel because parts of it were so bad.
    Although saying that, halfways between Tralee and Killarney the road winds through a little glen which is covered in trees, and the place was plastered with snow. Never saw anything like it before, postcard stuff..
    Some beefy showers all day, and damn, the mountains are white (will try and get few pics up soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the sky has completely cleared now. i'd say that was the last snowfall i'll have for a while. hopefully no longer than two days:)

the sky has completely cleared now. i'd say that was the last snowfall i'll have for a while. hopefully no longer than two days:)

Sorry Nacho Libre but where is it you are again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is freezing fog around here at the moment, nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

leahyl wrote: »
    Sorry Nacho Libre but where is it you are again?

Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 18z throws the snow on Wednesday........ guess where???

........................?? Yes England + Wales.

Just one run and its up in the air but not a good sign.

Mayo.

ah right you've probably been asked that about a million times! Thanks:)

Hows that streamer getting on?

whitemocha wrote: »
    do you weather experts believe all this cold weather is a sign of things to come as in do you reckon this cold could last a long while ??????

I'm not an expert, but the general consensus amongst them is this cold period (I think it's gone beyond a "snap" at this stage!) could easily be an early Christmas bonus, just a taste of things to come!

Well that's how I interpret it anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yeah, been watching that blob on the radar over the past hour - seems to have kept going unlike all other attempts today - so you may get a dusting from that - probably too far west for me - which is absolutely typical....:rolleyes:

Typical also is how it mischievously slipped to my east. :(. Cloudy here with temp at -0.5c. Neither falling or rising. Frosty outside but does not feel in the least bit cold. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

This model watching is the pits - flip flopping like a freshly caught salmon on deck. I'm going to try and go cold turkey and not look at the models for at least...oh...24 hours...I can do it, I know I can....:rolleyes:;)

FI is now 48 hours as far as I can see.....

I've conditioned myself to ignore the 18z in recent days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

I'm not an expert, but the general consensus amongst them is this cold period (I think it's gone beyond a "snap" at this stage!) could easily be an early Christmas bonus, just a taste of things to come!

Well that's how I interpret it anyway ;)

thanks for that;)

Hmmm its quieter here tonight... photoshopping between posts

metkz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I've conditioned myself to ignore the 18z in recent days.

This will be a totally nowcast situation aswell, the development of a closed
    low would whip it over us.

Its going to knife edge stuff..

I would be confident that there would be precip up to Wicklow even if it doesnt have a closed circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The pub run does like to throw a curve ball usually its for an upgrade though.

Wicklow Mountains for a St Stephens day walk could be interesting :D

Isn't it always! But I suppose that's what makes it so interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This will be a totally nowcast situation aswell, the development of a closed
    low would whip it over us.

I would be confident that there would be precip up to Wicklow even if it doesnt have a closed circulation.

no mention by the Eagle of it in the 9 o'clock bulletin, suppose things can change a lot in the next 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-4 in Mullingar as of the last hourly report.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement