Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

irish1967 wrote: »
    I think a Limerick would be apt...

There was a young chap from Limerick
    Who started to act like a pr**k
    All he wanted to know
    Was is it gonna snow
    But a mouse click from a mod did the trick

is it snowing where you are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Same as last night here in West Donegal with the lightening back and hail showers. Still hovering at 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

j1979p wrote: »
    Not necessarily either. It doesn't take that low a temp for frost to occur. If the winds stay light, the temp will still drop but just at a much slower rate than would occur under clear skys.

Pretty simple really, the only way it will heat up is if heat is added. How does that happen? Well, the sun or a wind bringing warm air from say the sea.

That's why we want light or no winds

Sorry, unlike almost all of the snow freaks on ths board, I am a temperature freak and would really love to see a -20 record set in Ireland :D

yeah it will be interesting to see if any place records a - 6 or lower tonight. if it's-4 already in mullingar might the temperature be expected to drop another degree or two there by the early hours. by the way is it true that the coldest time of night is at 4-5 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Been no thunder here in donegal town yet. Dam that would be awesome. My two favourite weathers in one day... Snow and thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG that is ridiculous seriously - the people in those cars must have a screw loose!:eek:

Hiya Leahyl!! missed you these past posts... i know i promised you a snow animal but sadly the snow we had was the hail mix kind and wouldn't clump together or roll properly :(:( told hubby what request was :D but we had trouble even making snowballs stick together so no go this time! however i will keep it in mind if we get the right kinda snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think a Limerick would be apt...

There was a young chap from Limerick
    Who started to act like a pr**k
    All he wanted to know
    Was is it gonna snow
    But a mouse click from a mod did the trick

Wow this chap from Limerick is getting an awful going over!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

by the way is it true that the coldest time of night is at 4-5 am?

Varies really some people say its the midpoint between dusk and dawn, although I recorded my coldest temp the other night (-5.2c) at 7:30am

eskimocat wrote: »
    Hiya Leahyl!! missed you these past posts... i know i promised you a snow animal but sadly the snow we had was the hail mix kind and wouldn't clump together or roll properly :(:( told hubby what request was :D but we had trouble even making snowballs stick together so no go this time! however i will keep it in mind if we get the right kinda snow...

AAAAW Eskimocat thanks for trying! We might have some snow of our own come Wednesday so it might be me that is making the snow animals hehe:D

Since its been brought up, what was the lowest temperature ever recorded in Ireland?

If it snows again, anyone taking pictures should write Leahyl a message in the snow;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

yeah it will be interesting to see if any place records a - 6 or lower tonight. if it's-4 already in mullingar might the temperature be expected to drop another degree or two there by the early hours. by the way is it true that the coldest time of night is at 4-5 am?

The coldest time of night (taking a simplified inversion scenario) will always be just before sunrise - the maximum amount of radiative cooling.

Of course in a place like ireland where wind changes direction a lot and cloud cover varies - thats not always the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

It's already -6 near longford:D (http://www.irelandsweather.com/)...

EDIT: gone up to -4 now :(

Ok, a quick google has revealed lowest temperature

The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

Taken from Met Eireann

http://www.met.ie/climate/temperature.asp

patneve wrote: »

-4 is the coldest I see??

Tactical wrote: »
    Since its been brought up, what was the lowest temperature ever recorded in Ireland?

If it snows again, anyone taking pictures should write Leahyl a message in the snow;)

They so should!:D I will also write you messages when i get my snow because i am of course going to get some...ahem...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone been driving up around Monaghan/Castleblayney? If so, what are the roads like?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Villain wrote: »
    Varies really some people say its the midpoint between dusk and dawn, although I recorded my coldest temp the other night (-5.2c) at 7:30am

A very common misconception as people believe that the temp rises as the sun makes its way around the other half of the earth.

Thinking about it a little makes it clear that there is still zero radiation heating the surface or atmosphere.

j1979p wrote: »
    A very common misconception as people believe that the temp rises as the sun makes its way around the other half of the earth.

Thinking about it a little makes it clear that there is still zero radiation heating the surface or atmosphere.
    I would think it is before dawn just as I recorded before this week others who disagree like : http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/elements/dawncold.htm They say after dawn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

patneve wrote: »

A jump of 2c in a matter of minutes, not very reliable. One of the weather stations in Co Clare is reporting -39.6c!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

No offence meant to anyone but when someone asks "what are the roads like?" I always am tempted to say that they are kinda wide black things with a white line down the middle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Surely you can't be serious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Icing hard out there with mist and fog encroaching.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Red blob overhead and nothing falling, boo hoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

No offence meant to anyone but when someone asks "what are the roads like?" I always am tempted to say that they are kinda wide black things with a white line down the middle. :)

im thinking now you didnt put that limerick together:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

A jump of 2c in a matter of minutes, not very reliable. One of the weather stations in Co Clare is reporting -39.6c!

It wasn't minutes, it was least an hour. Patneve just hadn't checked it again until after he posted. It is one of the NRA stations which are very reliable in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The station in Lahinch has a known fault with it's sensor. It is due to be repaired in the new year. The rest of the data is fine.

A jump of 2c in a matter of minutes is possible. In fact, google throws up this... http://montanakids.com/facts_and_figures/climate/Temperature_Extremes.htm

Just listening to a car attempting to drive along the road outside my house. All revs and very little forward motion, its a wonder he's made it this far. Must wander down for a peep and see how he'll get on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GFS 18Z is a stunner in FI, a 6 day snowfest to start 2010! lol :D

A shame it will never happen.

GFS 18Z is a stunner in FI, a 6 day snowfest to start 2010! lol :D

A shame it will never happen.
    Sure is but it ain't called the pub run for no reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Tactical wrote: »
    Ok, a quick google has revealed lowest temperature

The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

Taken from Met Eireann

http://www.met.ie/climate/temperature.asp

I remember the good old days with proper winters, when forecourts used to have problems with their diesel freezing it was so cold :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement