Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Surely you can't be serious! :D

I am serious and don't call me shirley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Tactical wrote: »
    Just listening to a car attempting to drive along the road outside my house. All revs and very little forward motion, its a wonder he's made it this far. Must wander down for a peep and see how he'll get on :rolleyes:

Go out and tell him to google the coefficient of static and dynamic friction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

God damn it. Spent the last few mins looking at yesterday;s thread thinking why is everyone in Kerry on about the snow tthey are getting tonight!

Temp is -2c here. Road has been gritted and is relatively ice free here.

Beautiful night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just listening to a car attempting to drive along the road outside my house. All revs and very little forward motion, its a wonder he's made it this far. Must wander down for a peep and see how he'll get on :rolleyes:

Maybe he's better off without too much forward motion. Came across someone with too much forward motion this morning - after he'd used someone elses car to stop..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Boy racer adding a little more CO2 to the atmosphere, he must be worried we'll freeze here and thoughtfully wants to add a little more greenhouse gas:rolleyes: He wanted to have a laugh on the ice. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

A jump of 2c in a matter of minutes, not very reliable. One of the weather stations in Co Clare is reporting -39.6c!

For the record it was measuring -6c since and hour or so ago(I noticed it and posted here) and wherever the data is coming from doesn't update very regulary

Is the easterly that was suggested for Wednesday and Thursday still looking like its on the cards ? BBC weather forecast showed graphics suggesting due westerlys which would presumably mean no snow for Dublin until at least next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-5 in Mullingar at 11pm. -3 here in Limerick with really thick fog. Shannon radar is kaput so cant say if there is any precip heading our way.

the 9.15pm BBC weather forecast has signified snow for the south east up to Dublin on Wed am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

-0.5 in Galway city up from -1 earlier.
    Still it's the first time it's gone sub zero here in nearly two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Fog forming in the valley below me now. The houses are starting to disappear. Could be very interesting come morning.

Right, since I have to get up early I'm going to catch a few more Z's.

Many thanks to you all for a very enjoyable couple of evenings, its been fun :) Take care and I'll check in again tomorrow night as I won't have any access to boards.ie tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

-5 in Mullingar at 11pm. -3 here in Limerick with really thick fog. Shannon radar is kaput so cant say if there is any precip heading our way.

I have some of that fog out my way, nasty stuff . . . just back from a walk out in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Another shower just passing here, much heavier than the one earlier. Place is now completely white again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Thank Christ, the oil man made it around earlier today! :p:p
    I couldn't get the gas cylinder to work until I poured hot water on the bugger, twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when the cat goes out, I wait to see what is on her coat when she comes in; snow this time...

No lamp-posts up here ...
    Jake1 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if some of you do what I do..
    I keep looking out the window, at the lamp post mostly :) looking for flakes, even though I know we aing getting any.:)

The one I saw was the 22:35 BBC NI forecast. Would it be then that they are expecting the same setup as we have had for the last couple of days just with the showers actually getting all the way across the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok folks i'm gonna hit the hay also - hopefully drift into a dreamy winter wonderland! Talk to ye tomorrow at some stage. Night night:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

ok thats me folks early start in the mornin,

ill check in amorrow I hope the snow mobiles will be needed,

there getting it rough in London people on the motorways over nine hrs now,

it looks like they ran out of grit for the motorways and there a mess.

mad DIY wrote: »
    The one I saw was the 22:35 BBC NI forecast. Would it be then that they are expecting the same setup as we have had for the last couple of days just with the showers actually getting all the way across the country ?

this is the one i saw Mad
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Ah we do..

But slight panic here as if this carries on much longer money for fuel will run out; still waiting for allowances after the move.

Will be more than food deep frozen soon up here..:(
    leahyl wrote: »
    You have no idea how lucky you are;):)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Does this wednesday event mean wexford may get snow?

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Thanks. If it comes off it will be a south westerly with snow in Dublin triggered by the Dublin mountains by the looks of that. Fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Major frost here in Waterford City with a temp of -4.1c, i think it will beat the min temp record of -5.1c that was set last night at my station.

baraca wrote: »
    Does this wednesday event mean wexford may get snow?

To be honest Baraca I don't trust the charts beyond a 24 hr period at this stage. Having said that, there are strong indications that there will be at least some precipitation in Wexford on Wednesday afternoon. The 9.30am GFS run tomorrow will be interesting. Here is the link if you wish to see it anytime after 930. It takes about 90 mins to complete but the 24 hr run should be done by 10am. (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=)

Predictions for snow in Wexford on Wednesday

according to BBC - yes.

According to the GFS chart (9.30 tonight) - 20% chance of snow

Met Eireann - it will be mostly cloudy over much of Munster and Leinster, with some falls of rain and sleet and with some snow on high ground, and possibly at some lower levels too. Very cold again Wednesday night with widespread frost, fog and ice returning.

Accuweather - A mix of snow and rain (8.4mm)

The Weathr Channel - 50% chance of showers

Based on these reports, nobody really can tell with any great certainty

That did not arrive down here thankfully; our dog is a very accurate radar for lightning..No problems tonight with her.. so far.
    :)
    Harps wrote: »
    Lightning yet again in Donegal..lights just gone out. Thankfully Ive got my laptop to keep me going

Major colour change on raintoday. Either they have 'upgraded' it, or it's gone wonky.

yes. showing up as hail everywhere.

Looks like north leitrim and county sligo going to see more action
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

mad DIY wrote: »
    Major colour change on raintoday. Either they have 'upgraded' it, or it's gone wonky.

Just had a look there. Looks like theres going to be a lot of activity.

Sky is very foggy with a brown tinge.Id swear it could snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hail showers here all night, nothing sticking more than half an hour though so Im not expecting anything. Raintoday seems to be gone though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement