Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (21/12/09) (Scattered snow showers today)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

a lot of showers packing into donegal there now. it's going to be fun for some tonight up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

a lot of showers packing into donegal there now. it's going to be fun for some tonight up there

Lets hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lets hope so!

Much happening in Letterkenny tonight? Im out in the west but it seemed promising earlier before I left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Something interesting could happen tonight, Possible shallow low and streamer going down the east coast... Donegal Bay streamer forming too.. the midwest could get a pasting.
    50.50 chance of these coming off...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Really? Sheesh....

Totally off topic and you can ban me if you like.. and I am sure it is not necessary, but at my advanced age these things matter more and more....

If you have elderly neighbours, please check that they have fuel and food.

Especially if this is going to continue much longer..

There is going to be real hardship and real danger of hypothermia; we who are on pensions do not have reserves for extra fuel. Not at today's prices.

Maddening here as there are fallen trees but cannot find anyone to bless me a wee while with a chainsaw... Ah well... Dependent on the fire here.

OK; will gather the cats and close down. My eyeballs are cold!

Asking Father Christmas for a few bags of coal!

Stay safe and warm.. may snow fall on all who come here...

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Really? Sheesh....

Totally off topic and you can ban me if you like.. and I am sure it is not necessary, but at my advanced age these things matter more and more....

If you have elderly neighbours, please check that they have fuel and food.

Especially if this is going to continue much longer..

There is going to be real hardship and real danger of hypothermia; we who are on pensions do not have reserves for extra fuel. Not at today's prices.

Maddening here as there are fallen trees but cannot find anyone to bless me a wee while with a chainsaw... Ah well... Dependent on the fire here.

OK; will gather the cats and close down. My eyeballs are cold!

Asking Father Christmas for a few bags of coal!

Stay safe and warm.. may snow fall on all who come here...

Id keep an eye on your dog as well, just had a massive roar of thunder here. Scared the sh*t out of me, shook the whole house and the lights are gone again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Danno wrote: »
    Something interesting could happen tonight, Possible shallow low and streamer going down the east coast... Donegal Bay streamer forming too.. the midwest could get a pasting.
    50.50 chance of these coming off...
    danno. i have been looking at the midwest situation for obvious reasons. The change in wind direction around 3-4am would be condusive to the stream of showers out at sea to the NW at the moment. Can I ask how you have read the midwest situation?
    http://www.sat24.com/image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-wind.gif

new wind chart up to 3am now shows that shift from a northerly wind to NW windflow.

3hr-wind.gif

could anyone please explain why the sky/fog has a brownish inge? Im very curious
    thanks.

hope its ok to mention, just heard reports of large explosion/quake in san diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    new wind chart up to 3am now shows that shift from a northerly wind to NW windflow.

3hr-wind.gif

it could increase the shower potential but also could make things more marginal snow wise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Snowing here in Enniskillen, descent amount failing at a steady rate!! First "real" snow since this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sky is very foggy with a brown tinge.Id swear it could snow.

I just looked out too. The sky most definitely looks like the most "snowy" I've seen it in a long time. Is there anything to this? Don't see anything on precipitation radars...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I am watching the sat24 stream and there is an impressive disturbance off the NW coast fuelling showers.

Brown tinge caused by streetlighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Jake1 wrote: »
    could anyone please explain why the sky/fog has a brownish inge? Im very curious
    thanks.

Because it's a cloud and it has frozen vapour in it. It will have that hue a snow cloud would.

If it gets very dense you will see ice riming on surfaces.

I am watching the sat24 stream and there is an impressive disturbance off the NW coast fuelling showers.

Im right on the north west coast and we've just had a long and very heavy hail shower coupled with lightning

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 provides a nice view of this streamer being formed. That mini-low seems to be spinning a streamer down the west coast in particular and across to NE coast.

nah its al over sky

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

whats the chances of longford getting any more snow....snow has not budged here in last 2 days..freezing but loving it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Because it's a cloud and it has frozen vapour in it. It will have that hue a snow cloud would.

If it gets very dense you will see ice riming on surfaces.

Lots of ice... But no snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Serious freeze on here. Just checked the WS now and have a temp outside of -1.4 and the place certainly looks it. Very white everywhere. Hoping to get off early in the morning to travel home for Christmas. Was due to go today but the roads looked too bad early on and looked like they were gong to get bad again later so I postponed. Hopefuly I'll get there during the day tomorrow.

By the way, what is the orange precipitation on raintoday.co.uk now?

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Serious freeze on here. Just checked the WS now and have a temp outside of -1.4 and the place certainly looks it. Very white everywhere. Hoping to get off early in the morning to travel home for Christmas. Was due to go today but the roads looked too bad early on and looked like they were gong to get bad again later so I postponed. Hopefuly I'll get there during the day tomorrow.

it is hail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

moist but cold

Kind person..

Thanks; she is fine just now.. if it were anywhere near, she would be trying to break the door down; will give her meds now in case... Always good to have advance warning...

Hope you are OK?

Stay safe..

Harps wrote: »
    Id keep an eye on your dog as well, just had a massive roar of thunder here. Scared the sh*t out of me, shook the whole house and the lights are gone again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

squonk wrote: »

I should add also that the earlier fog has disipated now. Skies are clear. I expect that's why the temps have dropped even more.

Dear Lord. What hard times we live in...

hope its ok to mention, just heard reports of large explosion/quake in san diego.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was hoping the weather was going to improve by Wednesday but I dont think it will.

Dear Lord. What hard times we live in...

hope its ok to mention, just heard reports of large explosion/quake in san diego.
    [/quote]

saying possible meteorite, sonic boom noise from it.
    scary.

anyway nite nite people.:)

It was a micro earthquake! As reported on US Gov Quake Site...A microearthquake occurred at 3:32:40 PM (PST) on Monday, December 21, 2009.The magnitude 1.4 event occurred approx 73 miles NE of San Diego

taken from a networking site in san diego. wonder will they get snow?

im off to bed too. night folks

UPDATE: USGS: Loud Noise In County Was Sonic Boom

POSTED: 4:49 pm PST December 21, 2009
    UPDATED: 4:52 pm PST December 21, 2009
    SAN DIEGO -- A loud noise heard and felt by many San Diegans was determined to be a sonic boom, 10News reported.

According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the loud noise heard and felt by many around the county shortly after 4 p.m. was the result of a sonic boom and not an earthquake.

USGS seismologist Robert Dollar told 10News sonic booms are caused by high-speed aircraft and it is possible the noise bounced off the atmosphere and made its way around the county.
    Click here to find out more!

Dollar said the military has high-speed flying areas near the Mojave Desert and over the Pacific Ocean.

No damage or injuries have been reported as a result of the loud noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

[/QUOTE]

Going slightly off topic here....It was reported to be a sonic boom and not an earthquake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    To be honest Baraca I don't trust the charts beyond a 24 hr period at this stage. Having said that, there are strong indications that there will be at least some precipitation in Wexford on Wednesday afternoon. The 9.30am GFS run tomorrow will be interesting. Here is the link if you wish to see it anytime after 930. It takes about 90 mins to complete but the 24 hr run should be done by 10am. (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=)

Predictions for snow in Wexford on Wednesday

according to BBC - yes.

According to the GFS chart (9.30 tonight) - 20% chance of snow

Met Eireann - it will be mostly cloudy over much of Munster and Leinster, with some falls of rain and sleet and with some snow on high ground, and possibly at some lower levels too. Very cold again Wednesday night with widespread frost, fog and ice returning.

Accuweather - A mix of snow and rain (8.4mm)

The Weathr Channel - 50% chance of showers

Based on these reports, nobody really can tell with any great certainty

Thanks wolfe, Great reply ;)

We live in hope!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement